Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

1991 Cannondale ST600

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

1991 Cannondale ST600

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-20, 11:23 AM
mplsbiker

Bikes: 2014 Greg Lemond Washoe, 1973 Schwinn Paramount, 1991 Cannondale ST600, 2018 Salsa Beargrease, 1988 Peugeot Montreal Express, 2017 Trek 520

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
So the Cannondale ST 600 is finally finished, for now (Is a bike ever really finished?)

So here is the final build:
Frame: 1991 Cannondale ST600
Fork: (Original) Tange 90 Cro-Mo
Handlebars: Nitto Grand Randonneur 25.4 44cm
Stem: Nitto Technomic 25.4 70mm
Levers/Shifters: Campagnolo 8 Speed Chorus
Handlebar Tape: Brooks Microfiber Brown
Headset: (Original) Tange-Seiki
Brakes: Tektro CR-720 Silver (Some Kool-Stop pads are on their way)
Bottle Cages: 2x Zéfal Classic
Seatpost: Thomson Elite Seatpost Silver - 27.2 mm
Saddle: Brooks Cambrium C17 Brown/Rust
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Veloce Bottom Bracket English 155.5mm
Crankset: Campagnolo Racing Triple 46/39/26 T.A. Vento 46t and 39t Outer/Middle Rings, Sugino 26t Inner Ring
Cassette: Miche Primato 8 M Cassette 8-speed 13-28: (13|14|15|17|19|21|24|28)
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Racing Triple 8 Speed
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Racing Triple
Chain: KMC X8
Tires: Panaracer Gravel King SKs 38mm (Tan Sidewall)
Wheels/Hubs: Northern Rose Custom Built 700c/Campagnolo Veloce 32H 9/10/11
Pedals: iSSi Flip double sided SPD/Flat
Cables/Housing: Jagwire

Last edited by mplsbiker; 12-01-20 at 02:42 PM.
Likes For mplsbiker:
Old 12-01-20, 11:49 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
cool. From my limited experience riding a few Cannondales once in a while, and my late 90s alu mtb, I'm sure you will appreciate those 38s. Watch the pressures and take advantage of the natural suspension of fatter tires, cuz this generation of alum frames tend to have a harsh side to them. If you ever want to try other tires, I highly recommend Schwalbe Supremes, really nice ride due to the thin sidewalls.
Old 12-01-20, 02:40 PM
mplsbiker

Bikes: 2014 Greg Lemond Washoe, 1973 Schwinn Paramount, 1991 Cannondale ST600, 2018 Salsa Beargrease, 1988 Peugeot Montreal Express, 2017 Trek 520

Yeah, I was worried about aluminum while I was building this bike up (being a all steel person with the exception of a carbon fatbike) and I really have to say I enjoy it a lot. The frame responsiveness and power delivery feel very crisp (that's the best word I can come up with) and the 38m tires really take the edge off of any bumps, cracks, sticks, whatever... I started with 40/50 PSI and that feels right, but I will keep experimenting.

It will be interesting to try it out on some gravel for an extended period of time.
Old 12-01-20, 06:40 PM
djb

Originally Posted by mplsbiker
Yeah, I was worried about aluminum while I was building this bike up (being a all steel person with the exception of a carbon fatbike) and I really have to say I enjoy it a lot. The frame responsiveness and power delivery feel very crisp (that's the best word I can come up with) and the 38m tires really take the edge off of any bumps, cracks, sticks, whatever... I started with 40/50 PSI and that feels right, but I will keep experimenting.

It will be interesting to try it out on some gravel for an extended period of time.
I just got home from my commute on a bike with 35mm and I put the pressures at pretty close to that, but with a couple of panniers. I'm a lightweight though, and can run lower pressures at times. You'll find the right feeling for your weight, and especially on gravel, lower to a reasonable amount will feel better for sure.
Old 12-02-20, 08:56 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Thats a really nice looking build.
Ive never heard of that rim brand and at first(and second) glance, it looks similar to a couple of common rims that builders use for in-house. Ill have to google the rim brand.
Old 12-02-20, 11:49 AM
mplsbiker

Originally Posted by djb
I just got home from my commute on a bike with 35mm and I put the pressures at pretty close to that, but with a couple of panniers. I'm a lightweight though, and can run lower pressures at times. You'll find the right feeling for your weight, and especially on gravel, lower to a reasonable amount will feel better for sure.
Yeah, I am 6' 4" and always somewhere between 200-210lbs, at my best, I was 185lbs and doing 100 miles a week average but then we had a kid and now I am working from home (No more commuting), etc... So I am back at 200. I do think that I could go 35/40 PSI safely... Anything less than that and I would go tubeless, or try to lose 25 pounds!
Old 12-02-20, 11:55 AM
djb

I'm 60-70lbs lighter than you, so a completely different set of tire pressures that work and dont work. I guess its the bike nerd thing with me, but I find it fun to use a good floor pump and try different pressures over different surfaces and feel how it affects the ride, and to compare rough times on a given route and balance that with comfort for me also, not to mention corner grip and feel.
Old 12-02-20, 11:59 AM
mplsbiker

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Thats a really nice looking build.
Ive never heard of that rim brand and at first(and second) glance, it looks similar to a couple of common rims that builders use for in-house. Ill have to google the rim brand.
The rims were made at a local bike shop in Minneapolis called Northern Rose (Sadly like many LBSs they did not make it through 2020), the owner was a master wheel builder but these were a midrange build, nothing super special... I like them as much as my HED Belgiums with White Industries W11 Hubs, without tires and tubes the two sets actually weigh about the same. Since this bike will be getting some racks at some point for light touring/camping I would probably only look at maybe swapping tires for Compass or Rene Herse lightweights to shave some weight and add some suppleness, but I have always been just fine with either Panaracer Paselas or GravelKings. I have never ridden a Compass or Rene Herse Lightweight tire so I don't have it as a comparison point; maybe the hype is true and I will really feel the difference in suppleness and never look back. I just want to try them before laying out that much for a set of tires.