Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

This is why you need eggbeaters for cross.

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-24, 09:20 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts

Since my first foray into clipless was well before the advent of crankbrothers I just lived with the occasional inconvenience of having slightly clogged spd pedals. As my kids needed clipless I started by giving them older pairs of pedals I accumulated over the years, the mud this season resulted in several races that were difficult to clip into but it was the final race of the season that convinced me that over the next year we're switching to some form of eggbeaters for pedals.

My 11yo complained they couldn't clip in. This is how much was still in the pedal after driving in the rain for 8 hours and sitting on the back of the car overnight in a downpour.

So much mud had built up on the last lap that the tires stopped spinning, thankfully the kid was near the pit and most of the mud could be cleared out for them.

Interestingly, even though the headset now feels slightly notchy, and the first BB which was new this year seized halfway through the season, the 8000 series XT hubs are spinning completely free with no evidence of any grit in them. Still going to tear them down and regrease them since its been 2 years since they were last done, but impressive sealing all things considered.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 01-09-24, 05:52 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Looks like you had quite the "fun" race!
Old 01-09-24, 11:23 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Originally Posted by Clipped_in
Looks like you had quite the "fun" race!
Didn't see a single kid coming away from the race looking like that who also didn't sport a smile. Mud is when the good times really start.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 01-11-24, 09:53 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 176 Posts
yes, the 520 can be a little bulky and clogged with mud. This is why I rode with the XT version. These days, in UK muddy cyclocross I ride with garmin rally and I have not problem although the pedal is bulkier like a m540

This was after a XC race on November 11th... 50 shades of mud

Last edited by Fentuz; 01-11-24 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-16-24, 06:56 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
I've heard/read complaints that Egg Beaters are hard to get used to because the engagement is a lot different than SPD. People talk about feeling like they're going to suddenly pull out of the pedals because the unclipping is really vague. I've also heard that reliability is an issue.

They do seem to be a much better design for mud, and I've been in CX races where it was impossible to get clipped back in because the pedals are jammed. I'm intrigued by the design, but I'm also not racing at a high enough level or in mud races frequently enough for this to be a big factor so I've always just stuck with SPDs.

I'm curious to hear opinions of anyone who's made the switch.
Old 01-19-24, 09:02 AM
Russ Roth

Originally Posted by Fentuz
This was after a XC race on November 11th... 50 shades of mud
That's about what the rest of the bike looked like but with a little more grass mixed in.

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I've heard/read complaints that Egg Beaters are hard to get used to because the engagement is a lot different than SPD. People talk about feeling like they're going to suddenly pull out of the pedals because the unclipping is really vague. I've also heard that reliability is an issue.

I'm curious to hear opinions of anyone who's made the switch.
My wife did the switch years ago not liking how hard it was to get out of her spd. She has one pedal she has a hard time getting into on her gravel bike but no trouble with 3 other pairs. In general she likes them better than spd.