Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-24, 06:43 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Most recent configuration (Required longer left cables + sheaths have now been installed)

1991? Montare + Porteur Bar

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 02-13-24 at 06:45 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 02-13-24, 07:38 AM
Maxey

Bikes: 2022 Ibis Ripmo AF, 2022 Cannondale Synapse, 2022 Ritchey Outback, 197(?) Manufrance Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Both Rockhoppers above are smokin and those gum wall tires always make the build pop out. I'll repeat myself from an earlier post as I didn't much of a response, but did you have any problems with seating the Billy Bonkers? mine would not play nice going on the rims despite using all the tricks in the trade to get them to fit.

What do you use to finish it to give it that glow? both look so fresh and shiny.
The Billy Bonkers went on about as easily as a guy could hope for -- I was able to get them mounted without using any kind of tire iron, and the only difficulty was getting the very last part of the tire over the rim. I still have some good hand strength so was able to just roll that last part onto the rim, but again, with some exertion. Put it this way, I've had a much worse time with some other tires -- as a matter of fact, I found getting the old, original tires off much harder than mounting these. I suppose the rim design/dimensions the tire is being mounted to might play some part in the degree of difficulty encountered, but on a Specialized GX23 rim they're pretty easy.

As far as the finish, in the case of my bike it already had well preserved paint that had obviously not spent a lot of time out in the weather or under the sun, so it's always nice to have a good starting point like that. All I did with the paint is apply a light application of Maguire's Cleaner Wax (automotive), that supposedly cleans, shines and protects all in one step. I think the stuff works great as you can see any impurities in the paint will get lifted onto the applicator pad. I apply it to each new section of paint with a different part of the applicator pad so that you're not applying dirty wax anywhere. Have used it for many years now. I used it on an old Subaru my kid used to drive -- the paint on that was really dull and lifeless, but one generous pass with the Cleaner Wax using a more vigorous application, and it transformed the paint to the point that it brought back the car's true factory color and gloss. Good stuff in my opinion.
Likes For Maxey:
Old 02-13-24, 07:40 AM
Maxey

Bikes: 2022 Ibis Ripmo AF, 2022 Cannondale Synapse, 2022 Ritchey Outback, 197(?) Manufrance Touring

Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
Most recent configuration (Required longer left cables + sheaths have now been installed)

1991? Montare + Porteur Bar
Great looking Fisher. I've never had one, but I was always fascinated by the elevated chain stay frames of that era.

If you look at any conventional MTB of the time that was used off-road as intended (my other Rockhopper, an '89 I bought new and still have, being a perfect example) you can see what a beating the drive side chain stay would be subjected to from chain slap -- in many cases to the point that large swathes of the chain stay got polished down to the bare metal from the chain slap. I don't know how much that motivated designers to move the chain stays up and out of the way, but I bet it was a large part of their thinking if not the primary reason.

Last edited by Maxey; 02-13-24 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-13-24, 10:04 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Was intended to be a fast climbing bike. Can confirm it is, but have to watch speed on descents or it gets "squirrely". They have a reputation for cracking/breaking frame and or losing braze on derailleur mount. Went over it with a magnifying glass and found nothing. Guy I got it from weighed around 145# + I'm a little guy at 133# and ride a bit slower and more carefully due to old age so not expecting any problems.
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 02-13-24, 03:17 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 261 Posts
Elevated chainstays were a solution looking for a problem.

The problems being:
Chainsuck: where the chain gets sucked down between the tire and chainstay during rough riding, or conversely, sucked up between the inner chainring and the chainstay under difficult shifting from high torque on the chainwheel.
Mud clearance: this problem was exacerbated by the ridiculous decision to place a U brake down there, competing with space for tire, chainstays, and chainrings. Once designers got the foo out of their heads and placed the brakes back up on the seat stays where they belonged things got much better.
Better climbing ability: Shorter chainstays allowed better traction on steep inclines, E-stays allowed shorter stays, typically.
That being said, I love me some E-stay goodness and would love to get my hands on my old '92 Nishiki Ariel or '93 Nishiki Alien, some of the coolest MTBs to ever be made. IMHO.
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 02-13-24, 03:35 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxey
The Billy Bonkers went on about as easily as a guy could hope for -- I was able to get them mounted without using any kind of tire iron, and the only difficulty was getting the very last part of the tire over the rim. I still have some good hand strength so was able to just roll that last part onto the rim, but again, with some exertion. Put it this way, I've had a much worse time with some other tires -- as a matter of fact, I found getting the old, original tires off much harder than mounting these. I suppose the rim design/dimensions the tire is being mounted to might play some part in the degree of difficulty encountered, but on a Specialized GX23 rim they're pretty easy.

As far as the finish, in the case of my bike it already had well preserved paint that had obviously not spent a lot of time out in the weather or under the sun, so it's always nice to have a good starting point like that. All I did with the paint is apply a light application of Maguire's Cleaner Wax (automotive), that supposedly cleans, shines and protects all in one step. I think the stuff works great as you can see any impurities in the paint will get lifted onto the applicator pad. I apply it to each new section of paint with a different part of the applicator pad so that you're not applying dirty wax anywhere. Have used it for many years now. I used it on an old Subaru my kid used to drive -- the paint on that was really dull and lifeless, but one generous pass with the Cleaner Wax using a more vigorous application, and it transformed the paint to the point that it brought back the car's true factory color and gloss. Good stuff in my opinion.
also use meguiar's cleaner wax - great stuff - been using it for years …

also often use meguiars mag and aluminum polish (on a variety of things)

those two products always in stock
Old 02-13-24, 03:36 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
Elevated chainstays were a solution looking for a problem.

The problems being:
Chainsuck: where the chain gets sucked down between the tire and chainstay during rough riding, or conversely, sucked up between the inner chainring and the chainstay under difficult shifting from high torque on the chainwheel.
Mud clearance: this problem was exacerbated by the ridiculous decision to place a U brake down there, competing with space for tire, chainstays, and chainrings. Once designers got the foo out of their heads and placed the brakes back up on the seat stays where they belonged things got much better.
Better climbing ability: Shorter chainstays allowed better traction on steep inclines, E-stays allowed shorter stays, typically.
That being said, I love me some E-stay goodness and would love to get my hands on my old '92 Nishiki Ariel or '93 Nishiki Alien, some of the coolest MTBs to ever be made. IMHO.
one of my old MTB friends still has an Alien he purchased new
Old 02-13-24, 05:10 PM
Maxey

Originally Posted by t2p
also use meguiar's cleaner wax - great stuff - been using it for years …

also often use meguiars mag and aluminum polish (on a variety of things)

those two products always in stock
Yep, I use the Meguire's mag and aluminum polish too!
Likes For Maxey:
Old 02-15-24, 12:52 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Tires came in for the Terra XT. Thank god they're not gum walls. The whole package only weighed 2 lb so at least they'll look the part and don't weigh a ton. Kenda K850. Practically the last brand new skin wall mountain bike tire you can buy.

Last edited by Bikedued; 02-15-24 at 12:56 PM.
Likes For Bikedued:
Old 02-15-24, 04:02 PM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
Tires came in for the Terra XT. Thank god they're not gum walls. The whole package only weighed 2 lb so at least they'll look the part and don't weigh a ton. Kenda K850. Practically the last brand new skin wall mountain bike tire you can buy.

Can you share where you found them? Thanx
Old 02-15-24, 04:11 PM
Bikedued

Originally Posted by ralphs
Can you share where you found them? Thanx

eBay a dealer called unbroken chain.
Old 02-15-24, 05:39 PM
tkm

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 19 Posts
I remember drooling over these while in college but I was too broke to afford one. Maybe that's why I went a bit overboard when I found a frame worthy of fixing up.

'96 Trek 950 Singletrack frameset from True Temper OX steel. A mix of Deore XT, LX and SLX. Essentially NOS Araya 7x rims laced to NOS Deore LX hubs. Vintage Nitto aluminum riser bars. Bits of gold aluminum bling complement the frame badging as do the Brooks saddle and grips. It's my "rails-to-trails" bike to ride with the family. might as well look good while going slow I suppose.

Old 02-15-24, 05:44 PM
ralphs

eBay a dealer called unbroken chain.
Thank you. Just ordered four of them. Now to decide which bike to put them on. My '96 polished aluminum Mt Tam, '94 purple Hoo Koo E Koo, '95 Schwinn 9 Five.2, or '96 Joshua F2.
Old 02-15-24, 05:48 PM
Bikedued

I would think all of them would be too new for a tire that small. just don't buy all of them I may buy another set tonight. Most of my old vintage skin walls have now rotted on me. Got to get four or five sets for bikes I need to make ridable again. All older than 1990.
Old 02-15-24, 06:19 PM
ralphs

I would think all of them would be too new for a tire that small. just don't buy all of them I may buy another set tonight. Most of my old vintage skin walls have now rotted on me. Got to get four or five sets for bikes I need to make ridable again. All older than 1990.
I only ordered four, should be six left. The seller does have some pretty good prices on items.
I acquired these four bikes in the past year or so. All had 1.95 tires on them when I got them. Based on the disintegrating sidewalls, I think all four bikes' tires were originals.
Now I need to get ready to rebuild the forks on three of the bikes.
Old 02-16-24, 08:06 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by tkm
I remember drooling over these while in college but I was too broke to afford one. Maybe that's why I went a bit overboard when I found a frame worthy of fixing up.

'96 Trek 950 Singletrack frameset from True Temper OX steel. A mix of Deore XT, LX and SLX. Essentially NOS Araya 7x rims laced to NOS Deore LX hubs. Vintage Nitto aluminum riser bars. Bits of gold aluminum bling complement the frame badging as do the Brooks saddle and grips. It's my "rails-to-trails" bike to ride with the family. might as well look good while going slow I suppose.

Aweome looking bike and love the colour. Great statement about, looking good while riding slow. I totally agree for my rail trail bike as well.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 02-17-24, 03:54 PM
Bikedued

Amazing how much tires alone made this much difference! I haven't had a chance to start on any real bike projects lately, because we're going into that stupid almost spring weather pattern. It's nice all week then rains and gets cold on the weekends then it's nice all week again. It's maddening but it happens every single year without fail.

Old 02-17-24, 04:17 PM
Bikedued

I just hit the saddle with some black shoe dye. Instantly transformed!!
Old 02-18-24, 05:10 PM
victorm

Bikes: 91 Ritchey Ultra, 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1990 Klein Rascal, 97 Trek OCLV9700, 90 Minnelli Eclipse, 95 Marin Bear Valley SE, 1991 Breezer Lightning Flash 1991 Diamondback Axis 1992 Stumpjumper Comp 1983 Stumpjumper Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 236 Posts

My green bikes with black forks
Likes For victorm:
Old 02-19-24, 07:38 PM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Bikes: '62 Schwinn Continental, '69 Raleigh Tourist (DL-1), '79 Raleigh Grand Prix, '71 Raleigh Sprite

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 47 Posts
This one followed me home from the swap meet yesterday.

Likely built in Taiwan circa 1986 from what limited info I have been able to gather so far.
Old 02-19-24, 07:52 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Improbably clean. Nice find!
Old 02-19-24, 08:34 PM
Smokinapankake

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 261 Posts
Dual rollercams is a big thumbs up from me! Very nice!
Old 02-20-24, 11:12 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
No kidding, gotta love bottom mounted rollercams. I just picked up a similar Bianchi Grizzly with this setup, just for the brakes.
Likes For VtwinVince:
Old 02-20-24, 11:54 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 1,192 Posts
^^^^^ Tickin' the check-boxes - iconic brand, roller cams, thumbies. Almost too clean to take outside (almost.....)
Old 02-25-24, 04:19 PM
tjfastback66

Bikes: a few

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 381 Times in 145 Posts
Just got done with an upgrade to the '92 Specialized Hard Rock. No more straight bars. Parts bin tall stem and upright bars to ease the back and neck.
Forty Five degrees and sunny skies today in Minnesota - NO SNOW!

Likes For tjfastback66:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.