Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Shimano GRX 12 speed pull ratio?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-23, 10:37 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts

I've been eyeballing the new GRX 820 1x rear derailleur and I'm curious if anyone knows if the pull ratio is the same as 11 speed GRX? The new GRX 820 RD can handle up to a 10-51t in-spec 12 speed cassette. If so I'd be curious to try a larger 1x cassette without having to resort to a GoatLink and not having to upgrade to 12 speed GRX shifters. Since Shimano also released 12 speed 105 mechanical, I'm wondering if 12 speed GRX is still staying close to the road or MTB side of things? I'm surprised no one has been talking about this in order to get bigger range. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-13-23, 07:45 AM
Cead_tinne
nothing better

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bump, because I'm also curious.
Old 10-13-23, 08:13 AM
poiuyt

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Half an answer:
- bikepacking.com has released a review of the 1x12 GRX. They tried to actuate it with an XT shifter, and it didn't work.
- The compatibility chart of the Shimano states that you can use the same GRX shifters for the 1x12 and the 2x12 versions, and that the 2x12 shifters/derailleurs are interchangeable between the 12-speed mechanical 105 and GRX, so I'd conclude that you could use a 12-speed 105 shifter with a GRX "1x derailleur", even if it is explicitly said.

So it remains on the road side.

Last edited by poiuyt; 10-13-23 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-19-24, 10:50 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Looks like someone paired the 12 speed GRX 820 1x RD with 11 speed GRX shifters. Too bad I went back to 2x! Lol

Likes For jonathanf2: