Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

I've done my research and looking for feedback on a new touring bike

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

I've done my research and looking for feedback on a new touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-24, 11:26 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 249 Posts
You'll learn far more watching YT videos and CGOAB posts than here reading defaileur fanboy stuff.
But then there's the Korean girl Jin Jeong who's been to 120+ countries on a Surly LHT frame since Sept. 1, 2011. Replaced all the bike parts twice at least, has 90,000 km so far. She's by far the toughest rider in heat and has done -24C in snowy Finland and Russia. She has a huge load including a drone. On the Gold Coast she also carried a SURF BOARD> LOL. She also stopped to get a job a few places, like the OZ outback.

There's YT couples with all the combos of drive gears.
>> CYCLINGABOUT has one of the best expedition experience, now riding a KOGA Rohloff14 with a GF riding a Priority Pinion. They went thru the 2 worst deserts on the planet.
>> There's Rolling Existence who have been around the world, they both have R14 on Surly trolls. No problems.
>> Another budget minded Dutch couple who both had deraileurs who went all around as well for 4 or 5 years, they just called it done and went home to stay. They had various troublesome situations, besides the bikes.
>> There's a couple of cycling rookies who decided to ride from Alaska to her home in the middle of Mexico. They both rode R14s with ZERO problems.
>> Hans Stucke started in 1962 on a 3 speed, didn't quit till 2010 still riding the 3 speed that was stolen 5 times. LOL. 609,000 km. Also was attacked 5 times.
>>>>
So here's what NOT to do, LOL. Thru axle Cube bike with dainty deFAILeurs. Broke his pedals, crank, spokes, hub flange and hanger, while only 1/3 of his trip is done. LOL.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 02-21-24 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-21-24, 12:46 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Peterparis
Hi,

This thread was quite a ride! I found it because I am in somewhat similar questioning about purchase of a steel touring off-road capable bike and the Faran looked good though recently (and now with OP) the Secan may seem a better choice for me. I'd like to chime in but if this is better in a new thread just let me know.
Disregard the comments from the Gambler, he has some unique opinions that the vast majority do not share.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 02-21-24, 01:59 PM
GamblerGORD53

LOL. Disregard defaileurs. Try beat this bike. >>
Old 02-21-24, 10:56 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Did some delinquent derailleurs pick on you as a kid?
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 02-22-24, 04:28 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

I have toured with a Rohloff hub on a bike. And have toured with derailleur bikes. I own both. Both have advantages and disadvantages, I still own both and likely will continue to tour on both.

My next trip that I am currently planning will be in advanced economy countries and will not be in remote areas, I am using a derailleur bike for that. This one if you are interested.
https://www.bikeforums.net/22868083-post4731.html
Old 02-22-24, 11:22 AM
GamblerGORD53

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I have toured with a Rohloff hub on a bike. And have toured with derailleur bikes. I own both. Both have advantages and disadvantages, I still own both and likely will continue to tour on both.

My next trip that I am currently planning will be in advanced economy countries and will not be in remote areas, I am using a derailleur bike for that. This one if you are interested.
https://www.bikeforums.net/22868083-post4731.html
This makes NO sense. There's no disadvantage to a Rohloff14. Refresh the oil and go. Shift up or down, done. Nothing breaks, 100% reliable and crash-proof. 2 lbs heavier?? LOL
Defaileur 3x needs constant double shifting, chain suck, constant grinding going on. Double the dirt in the chain. Mine gets NONE. All the parts wearing out just looking at them. LOL. Cleaning them?? Forget it.
If one bike is better it's because of the fit of the frame and bags.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 02-22-24 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-22-24, 11:44 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
This makes NO sense. There's no disadvantage to a Rohloff14. Refresh the oil and go. Shift up or down, done. Nothing breaks, 100% reliable and crash-proof. 2 lbs heavier?? LOL
Defaileur 3x needs constant double shifting, chain suck, constant grinding going on. Double the dirt in the chain. Mine gets NONE. All the parts wearing out just looking at them. LOL. Cleaning them?? Forget it.
Well, if it makes no sense to you, I will not bother explaining it to you.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 02-22-24, 02:31 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
pfff! Those bog standard Rohloff hubs are way too cheap! Gold plated is the ONLY way to go!

Likes For imi:
Old 02-22-24, 03:28 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I price a downside? Because for the price of a rohloff + new rim + new rotor + new spokes + rohbox + modified road shifters I could buy two to three capable touring bikes OR spend a month in a hotel OR buy around 70 chain + cassette wear sets for my 3x9 touring bike or just tour for a pretty long time.

But I suppose for some touring is about the journey and for others it's about the bike. You do you.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 02-22-24, 03:52 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
pfff! Those bog standard Rohloff hubs are way too cheap! Gold plated is the ONLY way to go!

Gawgeous!

Does it come with a few years' subscription to a security service that'll watch your bike when you go into a restroom, diner, or convenience store?
Old 02-22-24, 04:19 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Gawgeous!

Does it come with a few years' subscription to a security service that'll watch your bike when you go into a restroom, diner, or convenience store?
Nope, instead you make sure you went through enough mud that it looks unimpressive.
Old 02-23-24, 12:28 AM
GamblerGORD53

Originally Posted by elcruxio
I price a downside? Because for the price of a rohloff + new rim + new rotor + new spokes + rohbox + modified road shifters I could buy two to three capable touring bikes OR spend a month in a hotel OR buy around 70 chain + cassette wear sets for my 3x9 touring bike or just tour for a pretty long time.

But I suppose for some touring is about the journey and for others it's about the bike. You do you.
Obviously you didn't watch the video and think a busted wheel/ crank/ hanger will all buff right out. LOL
Sure go ride a cheap POS all day. That's the rental bikes in Vietnam, that DON'T carry a thing.
LHT's are $2,800 here now. That's MORE than both my wheels, crank, BB, headset and bike bins. My first dyno drum hub is now on it's 3rd bike, works as good as the new one I built.
Old 02-23-24, 10:00 AM
elcruxio

Obviously you didn't watch the video and think a busted wheel/ crank/ hanger will all buff right out. LOL
Sure go ride a cheap POS all day. That's the rental bikes in Vietnam, that DON'T carry a thing.
LHT's are $2,800 here now. That's MORE than both my wheels, crank, BB, headset and bike bins. My first dyno drum hub is now on it's 3rd bike, works as good as the new one I built.
I suppose the LHT asking prices are going up since they haven't been made in a while. They're becoming a rare commodity.

I just checked and I can get a Kona Sutra for the price of a speedhub. But I'd need to double the price of the speedhub in order to make it work nicely on a drop bar. So that's almost 3k for just the transmission on brake levers.

I'm also not sure about your qualifications on bicycle mechanics if you think dished wheels break easily. And if you think drum brakes are something great. None of my self built dished wheels have ever gone as much as 1mm out of true after settling. And they've seen some rough stuff while carrying over 330lbs for thousands of miles.

Symmetric wheels is a nice idea, but it's not really required if the wheels are otherwise well built. Seeing symmetric wheels as a requirement for fear of spoke breakage is kinda like needing solid tyres for fear of punctures.

If you break a hanger or rear mech, replacements are easy to find. But again breaking hangers or rear mechs is rare. I've never broken a hanger even after a decade of mountain biking. I've bent a few slightly, but bending them back is just that. Bending. Not rocket surgery that. But steel touring bikes usually have steel hangers. If you break that you've got bigger problems that even a rohloff won't survive.

But since we're discussing unlikely yet documented events, if you break a flange or a bearing off a rohloff, getting spare parts can be tricky. And you can't fix it yourself even if you do find the parts. You'll need to send the wheel somewhere.

Expendable parts might be expendable but they're easy to find. That's sorta the point of the point of many touring bike builds. Some view it to be silly to rely too much on obscure yet well engineered parts you won't find spares anywhere except Germany.

How exactly does a crank get busted and how is the rohloff immune to that? How is that even a thing?

I did think of a few other disadvantages for the speedhub. It lacks range. Only 500%, where my triple gives me over 600%. It's also not as efficient as derailleurs. And it is REALLY heavy.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 02-23-24, 09:00 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Lack of a decent drop bar shifter is what stops me from using a Rohloff. Have they released bar a end shifter for it yet? I'd be interested in using it if these are available now. Twist shifters are not for me.
Old 02-24-24, 04:07 AM
elcruxio

Originally Posted by Yan
Lack of a decent drop bar shifter is what stops me from using a Rohloff. Have they released bar a end shifter for it yet? I'd be interested in using it if these are available now. Twist shifters are not for me.
If price is not an object you can get the Gebla Rohbox and a set of modified brifters from them. Alternatively you can do the modification yourself. I think they have guides for that. They sell both modified SRAM and Shimano brifters. You can get the SRAM brifters in cable brake variation as well so you have the option for any brake you want.

It is pricey though.

I'd have considered a rohloff with the gebla stuff, but the way rohloff makes you jump through hoops in order to be eligible to gain the honour of buying one of their A12 models is just simply condescending. Instead of you know, raising the price a little and putting in the box a small zip lock bag of spacers. Like normal people do.
Old 02-24-24, 06:34 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by Yan
I see nothing wrong with a bar end shifter that is a twist shifter. I built up my Rohloff bike in 2013, tried a few different shifter locations but finally settled on the Hubbub Adapter to mount my Rohloff shifter on the drop bar. This is my first twist grip shifter, never had one on any other bikes.

The photo is not that great, but you can see the shifter on the right bar end.

I used two V brake noodles (sprayed black) to re-route my cables forward out of the shifter.

I suspect you could do some form of lever type bar end shifter with the Rohbox. I could imagine some vintage Shimano friction shifters being used for that, but they would have to be used with no or minimal friction and locktite would probably be needed to keep the screw from falling out of the shifter. One shifter to upshift, the other to downshift. The Shimano bar end shifters had a spring that would have to be removed or cut.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 02-24-24 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-24-24, 06:51 AM
Tourist in MSN

You really have not changed at all, you just keep coming back and loudly proclaiming that all derailleur bikes are failures. A quick search found this:

DeFaileurs ? WTH are they??? I just sold my last one. Good Riddance, Bon Debarras. Pffft
Impossible to clean, fix or use. Just yesterday I was watching a video of 3 randoneur race bikes in Quebec. One of them suddenly got chain suck. LOL Busted hangers?? NO thanks. More efficient ?? NOT
My Rohloff has 11,000 miles now, 4,200 pushing 120 lbs+ in SE Asia. Every morning just go find drinks and ride. Mostly 13.5 or 14 mph. 22 to 116 GI, Not Rohloff's fault so many want stupidly low gears. Only motor bikes were passing me. I passed them going downhill 38 mph. ha Mine is getting faster all the time, doing centuries at home. My bike weight almost 50/ 50. My White Ind AL chainrings suck tho, stupid things are 3/32", not 1/8". Still haven't touched the shifter, except for the slippery cover.

Yesterday I was puttering my 50 lb CCM SA 3 spd on a MUP behind 2 girls. Got to a steep MUP hill where they were in their second lowest gear and I had 50 GI. LOL Stayed with them all the way up.
That post of yours above is from 2017. From:
https://www.bikeforums.net/19656733-post8.html

Some of us do not agree with you and we never will. I have three touring bikes, two with derailleurs, one with Rohloff. Each has advantages and disadvantages. The tour I am planning for this summer will be on a derailleur bike. But I am sure that I will use my Rohloff bike on another tour some day.
Old 02-24-24, 08:05 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
I bought my Rohloff equipped bicycle in 2013. I played with the shifter position on drop bars There are several places you can mount that grip shifter. I currently have the left handed Rohloff shifter on The KOGA Denham Bar. The grip shifter allows you to shift through multiple gears at one time. I like the grip shift. The Rohloff with the belt is the best and I will probably never go back to the derailleur setup. Pinion recently came out with a Smart Shift 12 speed version. This is an electronic Shift and TRP makes a brifter set up for it. The 12 speed Pinion has 600 percent range. Tourist in MSN has ridden many miles with his Rohloff setup and I have to agree with him. The Rohloff is a very good setup as it is. It matters not to them if you don't like their grip shifter. It is the work of an engineering genius. Rohloff has sold more than 60,000 of their hubs in a year. and near 30 percent of world travelers use the Rohloff hub.
Old 02-24-24, 08:13 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by ve9vic
My research for a new touring bike lead me to the Forillon bike from Paronamacycles.com
Panoramacycles.com
Likes For gauvins:
Old 02-24-24, 09:36 AM
Yan 

I was reading about the Rohloff E-14 electronic shifting system today. It's a shame that it's designed around e-bikes. If Rohloff came out with a properly streamlined wireless shifting system similar to SRAM's wireless blips, I'd pay $2000, $3000, $4000, whatever. A few thousand dollars for a one time hub purchase is not a big deal. I'm spending more than that on plane tickets and hotels when touring.

I guess Rohloff just doesn't have the resources for that level of development.
Old 02-24-24, 11:21 AM
GamblerGORD53

All my 3 shifters are on the top tube. ZERO slop or flop. Makes no difference what bars then. Another thing that only me does. LOL
The R14 I can turn it with either hand. I wrapped it with a shoelace soon after the start of my Vietnam tour and later found a rubber cap over that. It's held up 6 years. I just changed the cables last year and found one that had frayed. It gets quieter all the time. I'm lucky if I see one other bike on my century rides. LOL.
Half the new fangled bike stuff is just plain dumb on tour bikes. My cable TRP Spyre can burn rubber in 1/100 of a sec.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 02-24-24 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-24-24, 12:36 PM
Yan 

Classified Hubs do wireless shifting, but it's a two speed hub meant to replace a front derailleur. Maybe one day someone will release a system capable of touring use. I tour with aerobars so being able to install multiple pairs of wireless buttons would be amazing.
Old 02-25-24, 10:50 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
GamblerGORD53

Time to post a few pics of your touring bike so everyone can admire the marvel that is your rohloff drivetrain bike.
Show us what we are all missing!
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-27-24, 01:58 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
OK, I've found a disadvantage to a Koga World Traveller Rohloff bike. And it's been bugging me for the last few days. Warning, bit of a rant.
I live in a very posh area about 20km outside of Gothenburg, by the coast and surrounded by nature. Houses are as expensive as it gets here. Don't worry, I live much more frugally in a small house in the forest a few kilometres away.

Anyway, there's a bus stop with a covered bike parking for commuters. As I cycled past it a bike caught my eye. It was an absolutely new Koga WT, bright orange/gold, blue Rohloff hub and matching blue dyno-hub on the front, butterfly bars. I stopped to look at it. It was locked with a frame lock through the rear wheel and a D-lock around the top-tube attached to thin loop of a bike stand. The front wheel wasn't locked at all.

I shook my head in disbelief that someone would leave such an expensive bike outside on a dark evening, and went on my way.
Two days later, I rode past the bus-stop again. The WT wasn't there, but I went for a look. My Spidy-senses were right, the bike stand had been cut just enough to free the bike. I guess someone just loaded it in a van.

The rich idiot will probably get 100% of the bike's price from his home insurance. That's the way it works here in Sweden, the first year they calculate zero depreciation of the bike's cost.

The idiot thief who stole it makes me sad and mad. I wish I lived in a world where people are honest.
Strange thing is, I've thought about this a few times, and it bugs me... not sure why.

Last edited by imi; 02-27-24 at 02:02 PM.
Likes For imi:
Old 02-27-24, 02:22 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
I have a Co-Motion Rohloff Pangea. I have just recently started riding again. As before I take it with me into the store, the bank ect. I occasionally lock it outside a corner store or a fast food restaurant and only if I can watch it while I make a quick purchase. Knowing that it might become a target of theft I am very aware of my surroundings at all times. I have even taken it inside at the VA hospital.
Likes For Rick:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.