Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Intermittent fasting news was not good today

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Intermittent fasting news was not good today

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-24, 05:57 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
For those speculating that people with cardiovascular risk were over represented in the 8hr window group, the press release mentions that the effect was seen even among individuals with known cardiovascular disease.

Andrew Huberman is a neuroscientist turned internet influencer and hawker of supplements, who has done some interesting and important work on the visual system in rodents, among other things. He has no professional expertise in this area.
I never claimed Huberman was a fasting expert. I presented the video because he reviews several peer reviewed studies much more controlled and IMHO accurate than the garbage subject study.
Old 03-20-24, 06:06 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
I never claimed Huberman was a fasting expert. I presented the video because he reviews several peer reviewed studies much more controlled and IMHO accurate than the garbage subject study.
Post some links and we'll get into those studies. I already know none of them has 20,000 participants or a follow-up period of 8-17 years, and none of them is a prospective human trial of intermittent fasting with long-term clinical outcomes.

When and if this one comes out a form where we can see what they actually did in terms of sampling and statistics, we can critique it too.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-20-24, 06:20 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Andrew Huberman is a neuroscientist turned internet influencer and hawker of supplements, who has done some interesting and important work on the visual system in rodents, among other things. He has no professional expertise in this area.
Very good point.

There used to be a wall between editorial and advertising to make sure that content was not influence by advertising. I know a guy that worked at BusinessWeek many moons ago for an editor that would chase ad sales reps out of the editorial offices. This editor would even frown upon relationships between editorial staff and ad sales staff.

Dr. Huberman may be very bright and very well intentioned but if he does not have that kind of separation between his content and his sponsors/advertising, I'd keep that in mind when listening to him.
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Likes For john m flores:
Old 03-20-24, 08:25 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
This one hasn’t even been published as a full paper yet, so it’s way too early to pass judgment on anything but the observational and self report methodology part. And don’t hold your breath for prospective, controlled, trials with comprehensive outcomes and multi-year follow-up, in this area. They are impossible to do.
I guess the same could be said for nearly all studies linking diet to long-term health outcomes. How many servings of salmon do you have each week? Do you follow the Mediterranean diet? As PeteHski notes, few of us follow consistent dietary patterns sustained over decades. Possibly this wasn't so much of a problem in the past, where people's diets were well correlated with how they lived and their social class, but the more cosmopolitan we become, the more our diets shift with changes in offerings, with changes in our personal choices and lifestyle as we age, etc.
Old 03-20-24, 08:48 AM
RH Clark

Post some links and we'll get into those studies. I already know none of them has 20,000 participants or a follow-up period of 8-17 years, and none of them is a prospective human trial of intermittent fasting with long-term clinical outcomes.

When and if this one comes out a form where we can see what they actually did in terms of sampling and statistics, we can critique it too.
What's your take from the study? Are you convinced that only eating for 8 hours a day increases risk of heart attack by 91%? Who funded the study? The processed food industry to convince you to eat 24 hours a day? This particular study is ridiculous. How can any correlation be attained without even knowing what foods were consumed during the feeding window?

Why is it that the time period they ate in caused heart disease, rather than the food they ate in that time period? Increased by 91% compared to what group, the general population? Possibly the average population had a healthier diet than this group. Too many questions unanswered for this study to have any value beyond click bate considering how popular IM fasting is becoming.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 03-20-24, 08:51 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by MinnMan
I guess the same could be said for nearly all studies linking diet to long-term health outcomes. How many servings of salmon do you have each week? Do you follow the Mediterranean diet? As PeteHski notes, few of us follow consistent dietary patterns sustained over decades. Possibly this wasn't so much of a problem in the past, where people's diets were well correlated with how they lived and their social class, but the more cosmopolitan we become, the more our diets shift with changes in offerings, with changes in our personal choices and lifestyle as we age, etc.
It's not just what, but how much people eat. Most of what we know comes from industrial societies where almost everyone is in positive energy balance. This factor is a huge risk in itself and it undoubtedly determines with how people metabolize macronutrients to a large extent. I suspect, for instance, that sugars aren't nearly as toxic in people who aren't in energy overload.
Old 03-20-24, 09:14 AM
RH Clark

It's not just what, but how much people eat. Most of what we know comes from industrial societies where almost everyone is in positive energy balance. This factor is a huge risk in itself and it undoubtedly determines with how people metabolize macronutrients to a large extent. I suspect, for instance, that sugars aren't nearly as toxic in people who aren't in energy overload.
I don't know exactly what you mean by energy overload. It is also possible that sugars aren't harmful unless they are habitually consumed, sort of like how a couple alcoholic drinks a week probably won't damage your liver but drinking all day every day will.
Old 03-20-24, 09:18 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

What's your take from the study? Are you convinced that only eating for 8 hours a day increases risk of heart attack by 91%? Who funded the study? The processed food industry to convince you to eat 24 hours a day? This particular study is ridiculous. How can any correlation be attained without even knowing what foods were consumed during the feeding window?

Why is it that the time period they ate in caused heart disease, rather than the food they ate in that time period? Increased by 91% compared to what group, the general population? Possibly the average population had a healthier diet than this group. Too many questions unanswered for this study to have any value beyond click bate considering how popular IM fasting is becoming.
I'm repeating myself, but all such studies have *limited* value, and going directly to "no value beyond clickbait" heads us to a situation in which all epidemiological work becomes the subject of partisan rancor, rather than an incremental step towards better understanding. To be frank, I don't want to live in the world you are encouraging, whether you know it or not.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 03-20-24, 09:26 AM
MinnMan

I don't know exactly what you mean by energy overload. It is also possible that sugars aren't harmful unless they are habitually consumed, sort of like how a couple alcoholic drinks a week probably won't damage your liver but drinking all day every day will.
He means that people are gaining weight.
Old 03-20-24, 10:59 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Also, a 2019 review in the New England Journal of Medicine may be of interest

Effects of Intermittent Fasting on Health, Aging, and Disease

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmra1905136
I found the PDF of this article here:
https://sa1s3.patientpop.com/assets/docs/151222.pdf

I might mention that the fastest rider of about my age whom I knew took long vacations in India. There, it is a norm to fast one day a week. Back here and back to riding, he tried to continue that practice, but quickly found that he simply couldn't go like he used to, even though he was back to his usual riding and dietary practices the other 6 days. I advised him to quit the fasting, he did, and bam he was back. That seemed to me to be quite an outsized effect for a seemingly minor intervention. I know, not the 18/6 IF, but still . . .

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 03-20-24 at 11:06 AM.
Likes For Carbonfiberboy:
Old 03-20-24, 12:00 PM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
It's been nice knowing you all.
I call dibs on your bike collection.
Likes For goose70:
Old 03-20-24, 12:07 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
This appears to be a meeting abstract, so not rigorously peer reviewed. For conferences, one just tends to weed out the obvious junk and it's unusual for anything to get rejected. It's a nice big study with a pretty long follow-up, though, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now, while taking into account the caveats helpfully outlined in the press release. I'm sure we can think of other potential issues. At a minimum, however, intermittent fasting didn't prevent cardiovascular death in this group.
Yep. At least in my field, posters are often not so much for answering a question as for raising one; in those cases, a good goal is to get others to work on the same question and to see if they can replicate.

Then, "91%" sounds like a big increment, but it's relative to what I assume was a low base rate in the sample, so this probably isn't a major threat.
Have you looked at the poster? The intriguing thing is the trend in both all-cause and CV mortality risk ratios with narrower TRE.
Old 03-20-24, 12:11 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by RChung
Yep. At least in my field, posters are often not so much for answering a question as for raising one; in those cases, a good goal is to get others to work on the same question and to see if they can replicate.

Have you looked at the poster? The intriguing thing is the trend in both all-cause and CV mortality risk ratios with narrower TRE.
Haven't seen the actual poster. I'll look for it.

Yeah, the trend is present in the whole group and the subsamples, and in the whole group there might even be a dose effect of narrowness of time window for all-cause mortality. Go know, as they say.

I'm still not seeing the reference mortality rates.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 03-20-24 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-20-24, 12:14 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Like most fad diets..they're a trendy 8x10 glossy (with no lack of acolytes) ..until they aren't. It's an opportunity for some to cash in while they wait for the next shiny object to come along.
Old 03-20-24, 12:30 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by fishboat
Like most fad diets..they're a trendy 8x10 glossy (with no lack of acolytes) ..until they aren't. It's an opportunity for some to cash in while they wait for the next shiny object to come along.
(sigh). Really? Show us an example of somebody marketing a product or a service based on promoting IF.

It's not like, say, a low carb diet, which allows people to market or promote food products marked "lo carb!".

IMHO, generic cynicism is intellectually lazy and inherently biased towards preventing us from learning anything new.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 03-20-24, 12:42 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

I'm still not seeing the reference mortality rates.
Yeah, they didn't provide them -- you can calc the raw ratios but not the rates -- but these are proportional hazard models and the amazing feature of them is that you don't need to know the underlying rates in order to get the relative risk ratios. David Cox was a pretty smart guy. He passed a year or so ago, just short of his 100th birthday. Probably didn't do IF.
Old 03-20-24, 12:42 PM
MoAlpha
• —

(sigh). Really? Show us an example of somebody marketing a product or a service based on promoting IF.

Please don't make me find any more!
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-20-24, 12:44 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Please don't make me find any more!
Damn. Well, I'm convinced.
Old 03-20-24, 12:49 PM
MinnMan

OK, point made. I admit that probably every corner of the nutrition world has grifters attached. Whether or not the practice is valid.

Still doesn't mean that that's the origin, justification, or efficacy of the practice.
Old 03-20-24, 12:50 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by goose70
I call dibs on your bike collection.
Be careful what you wish for. They're mostly half-completed project bikes.
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Likes For john m flores:
Old 03-20-24, 12:52 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by RChung
Yeah, they didn't provide them -- you can calc the raw ratios but not the rates -- but these are proportional hazard models and the amazing feature of them is that you don't need to know the underlying rates in order to get the relative risk ratios. David Cox was a pretty smart guy. He passed a year or so ago, just short of his 100th birthday. Probably didn't do IF.
So time to occurrence, rather than number of occurrence over time? Is that what they did here?
Old 03-20-24, 12:57 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts

It's not like, say, a low carb diet, which allows people to market or promote food products marked "lo carb!".

IMHO, generic cynicism is intellectually lazy and inherently biased towards preventing us from learning anything new.
sigh..
I spent my life in research and have been awarded many patents. I'm old enough to recognize steak...and sizzle. If you think good money hasn't been made in/off of IF you haven't looked hard enough. I remember the "juice fasting" fad of 45 years ago..junk science...and the beat rolls on..

You have your opinion, I have mine
bye
Old 03-20-24, 01:10 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by fishboat
sigh..
I spent my life in research and have been awarded many patents. I'm old enough to recognize steak...and sizzle. If you think good money hasn't been made in/off of IF you haven't looked hard enough. I remember the "juice fasting" fad of 45 years ago..junk science...and the beat rolls on..

You have your opinion, I have mine
bye
Excellent. What's an example in the world of nutrition science of something you recognize as steak?
Old 03-20-24, 01:13 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

So time to occurrence, rather than number of occurrence over time? Is that what they did here?
Close. Ordered rank to occurrence (in this case, to death). Proportional hazards is, um, proportional, and Cox realized that proportionality is a strong enough restriction that you can get the risk ratios even without needing the underlying absolute risk. I *think* I might be one of the few professors who forces students to sit through a lecture where I do a proportional hazards estimation with two covariates on the blackboard by hand. Like most survival analysis techniques, it handles censored observations pretty well.
Old 03-20-24, 01:14 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Excellent. What's an example in the world of nutrition science of something you recognize as steak?
Likes For MoAlpha:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.