Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Titanium “super bikes”

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Titanium “super bikes”

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-24, 12:37 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
^ if ti doesn't show up here at least once a month I feel something is missing .......
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-09-24, 05:23 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Paul, your Capitol looks Piet Mondial-ish. Lovely paint scheme.
Old 01-09-24, 05:53 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Paul, your Capitol looks Piet Mondial-ish. Lovely paint scheme.
That's my Capitol lol, and yes the paint scheme is Mondrian/La Vie Claire inspired!
Old 01-09-24, 06:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18430 Post(s)
Liked 15,585 Times in 7,339 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
^ if ti doesn't show up here at least once a month I feel something is missing .......
I haven't posted a photo of that bike in a good while.
Old 01-09-24, 08:38 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6975 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
That's a great saddle, and it must be pretty old -- I bought the last one in the US, and that must've been around 2008 or so.
Old 01-09-24, 09:58 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10444 Post(s)
Liked 11,927 Times in 6,105 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
That's a great saddle, and it must be pretty old -- I bought the last one in the US, and that must've been around 2008 or so.
Got it on Ebay, lightly used. I bought 3 of the last 5 at Palo Alto Bicycles in about 2007, but I used the last one when I got the Canyon in 2020. I have a saved search on Ebay that alerts me when one comes up.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-09-24, 10:01 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I haven't posted a photo of that bike in a good while.
Yeah ... thanks you for posting,. I was jonesing ...

( )
Old 01-09-24, 11:55 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 288 Posts
I picked up this beauty barely used at a fraction of the cost of a new titanium frame (not sure I would pay beaucoup bucks for a brand new Moots, Bingham, or Mosaic)... This is my first titanium bike, having ridden dozens of steel bikes, aluminum bikes, and carbon bikes. Honestly, I thought there would be more of a perceptible difference between a titanium bike and all the other materials. This bike basically rides almost like my other high end carbon bikes. But this could be due to the beefier seat stays and chain stays (as compared to another titanium bike that could be seen as "noodly"). I'm very happy with it so far (electronic shifting and rim brakes FTW!). And just admiring the fine craftsman welds makes me feel all warm and fuzzy... Plus, you have the peace of mind that titanium is just a tougher and more weather-resistant material...

Likes For Caliwild:
Old 01-09-24, 12:55 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6975 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I bought 3 of the last 5 at Palo Alto Bicycles in about 2007
Then I guess I got the last of those five saddles from them. Still riding it, even though it looks much worse for wear.
Old 01-09-24, 09:40 PM
gene99

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
One of the harshest and most uncomfortable bikes I've ever ridden.
Old 01-11-24, 04:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10444 Post(s)
Liked 11,927 Times in 6,105 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Then I guess I got the last of those five saddles from them. Still riding it, even though it looks much worse for wear.
Just bought another off Ebay. I'll see how it looks when I get home. Last month I got too enthusiastic - I bought one that looked to be in great shape. Turns out its not an R, it's an M. Really wide across the back! It looks strange, so I haven't mounted it on anything yet.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-12-24, 11:39 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,847 Times in 2,235 Posts
Thinking about this 'super' bike concept. I think where the bike can take you is the part that is super.
Like: Across Washington State, or across Oregon, or around the Olympic Peninsula, etc.
Just one opinion.
Old 01-12-24, 05:12 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
There is no such thing as a super bike, only super riders which are far and few between.
Old 01-12-24, 05:47 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Thinking about this 'super' bike concept. I think where the bike can take you is the part that is super.
Like: Across Washington State, or across Oregon, or around the Olympic Peninsula, etc.
Just one opinion.
Been there. Done that. Twice. West to east. Fully loaded. Nice ride. Rainy/Washington-day off in Winthrop-Loup Loup to Tonasket-Wacounda to Republic-Sherman to Collville.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-13-24, 12:45 AM
HenryK

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Lemond Carbon Buenos Aires, Motobecane LeChampion Ti, CAAD9, CIOCC Designer 84 SLX, Vassago Bandersnatch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Ok. If you insist. Keep in mind that it's a 2016 vintage. Electronic shifting was relatively more expensive than it is today.

What's wrong with mechanical Groups and rim Brakes
Likes For HenryK:
Old 01-13-24, 07:27 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by HenryK
What's wrong with mechanical Groups and rim Brakes
A lot to many on BF.

At the time, electronic shifting was stupid expensive compared to DA 9000. And the builder was a few months away from incorporating disc brakes into his designs. Finally, the wheels were swapped from my 2004 IF, so the no disc hubs. (Hard to give up on a pair of CK hubs, especially when you got the set for what the rear one retailed for when you bought them.). With sending the frame out for Cerakote, it took long enough. I went with a happy medium of price, craftsmanship and time.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-13-24, 06:20 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,847 Times in 2,235 Posts
Been there. Done that. Twice. West to east. Fully loaded. Nice ride. Rainy/Washington-day off in Winthrop-Loup Loup to Tonasket-Wacounda to Republic-Sherman to Collville.

I started Neah Bay, but on to Hwy 20 Rainy&Washington Passes, the Okanogan with Loop Loop, bit south to Nespelem and across the Reservation and on to Spokane. My support driver and fellow camper made it possible.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-13-24 at 06:24 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 01-13-24, 09:34 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Wildwood
I started Neah Bay, but on to Hwy 20 Rainy&Washington Passes, the Okanogan with Loop Loop, bit south to Nespelem and across the Reservation and on to Spokane. My support driver and fellow camper made it possible.
The first time I was out that way was the first time I had ridden out west. We got rained and snowed on crossing the Cascades. Yet they were watering the grass at the Winthrop KOA, and there were tumbleweeds. During the day off, you could look west and see the clouds over the mountains, but they never moved closer. It was cool climbing Loup Loup, but the Okanogan Valley on the other side was damn warm and dry. Maybe the problem is that I was riding a stock aluminum bike.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-29-24, 08:23 AM
boomer58 

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 17 Posts
Just wondering is Lynskey and Litespeed somehow related ? I see they are both from Chattanooga Tn. Is there a background story on these 2 companies ?
Old 01-29-24, 08:32 AM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by boomer58
Just wondering is Lynskey and Litespeed somehow related ? I see they are both from Chattanooga Tn. Is there a background story on these 2 companies ?
Litespeed was started by David Lynskey back in the…80s? The Lynskeys were already in the Ti fabrication business for industrial applications, and the story goes that David L, a runner, looked for a decent bike while recovering from injury, couldn’t find anything he liked, so took a swing a building his own in Ti. The bikes took off and the rest is history. The company bought, or was bought by (have heard different versions), ABG in 1999, with a 5-year non-compete clause. When the clause expired, the Lynskeys started building Ti again under their own name. Both the original Litespeed factory and the newer Lynskey factory are based in Chattanooga

Last edited by 13ollocks; 01-29-24 at 08:36 AM.
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 01-29-24, 08:49 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Ya'll know they going to crack, right?
Old 01-29-24, 09:01 AM
boomer58 

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 17 Posts
Thank you 13ollocks. I know this is just an opinion but being Litespeed is or was owned by ABG and is probably an investment group and Lynskey being a family owned operation, ( and here goes the opinion part ) which is considered the better bike for the money ?
Old 01-29-24, 10:47 AM
2Mins2Midnight

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Epic Evo, and Carve

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I've never owned either bike but was considering Litespeed and Lynskey heavily while deciding which new frame I wanted late last year. Given some of the research/internet talk I've found and all the discounts Lynskey seems to be pushing, I get the indication that Litespeed is considered a bit more of a premium brand. Quality wise, they both seem top notch but it seems like the overall build quality is a bit higher for Litespeed. It seems that most people, if given the choice and money isn't a factor, would go for the Litespeed. But I would love for someone who's owned one or both to chime in as my knowledge is mostly hearing from others.

I will say that Lynskey has 20% off discounts for the vast majority of the year. I signed up for both company's email list and I see 20% off discount emails from Lynskey almost weekly, whereas Litespeed doesn't seem to have nearly as many sales. You can draw your own conclusions there.

On a side note, I don't like the look of either brand's 'premium' offerings - the square-tube frames of the Spezia and R500 just aren't my jam, but I also wasn't in the market for either of those specific models.
Old 01-29-24, 12:09 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by 2Mins2Midnight
I will say that Lynskey has 20% off discounts for the vast majority of the year. I signed up for both company's email list and I see 20% off discount emails from Lynskey almost weekly, whereas Litespeed doesn't seem to have nearly as many sales. You can draw your own conclusions there.
One conclusion would be that Lightspeed got bought by a giant consortium and has more advertising and also has plenty of capital to get though lean times.

Lynskey is a small reboot of the original, with no big corporate backer, who needs to build good bikes because the slightest bad publicity could tank the marque.

Also ... "Sales" are a sales technique, an advertising method .... Notice how a lot of major retailers have "sales" on every holiday, every season, every whatever day: "It's our 'Crazy Friday' Sale! Come in and spend money because you think you will save money!"

People like to think they are getting deals. So ... price your goods at a reasonable, substantial price ... say 25% more than the lowest that is feasible for financial stability ... and then do lots off 'discounts" and "sales" of 15-20 % and you are still making more than enough money but people are motivated to buy because "It's on sale"

Sometimes just thinking they are getting a deal is enough to make people pull the trigger.

You'd be surprised how many companies mark up everything a little bit then do "deep discounts" on a few items because one people are in the store and spending, they often buy other things, which are not on sale, and the retailer makes bank.

Nothing but a marketing trick. If you choose to think Lynskey must be a worse bike because of its marketing strategy, I am sure that is more than offset by people who made up their mind because "Oh, look, the frame I wanted just went on sale!"

My justification for saying that? Lynskey is still in business. If Lynskey made bad bikes, social media would be full of complaints and no "sale price" would be low enough. But the company still makes bikes. Further, if Lynskey was desperate and needed to swell stuff cheap to make financial goals (e.g. loans coming due) those sales would not persist once the nut was made, ... unless the :"sale price" was enough to sustain the company.

Here is another hing to consider: Lynskey made Lightspeed. Lightspeed got to be a prominent Ti manufacturer because the builders were so good at making Ti bikes.

Now the people who made Lightspeed, make Lynskeys. it is not like Lynskey hired a bunch of 16-year-olds who couldn't push brooms and handed them welders. This is still the guy and some of the crew which has built great Ti bikes for however many decades.

I see no direct link between sales strategy and bike quality here. if you do, shop accordingly. I know that I looked at Lynskey frames for a while, and saw the frequent sales ... all I thought was, "If I am going to buy one, I will wait for the next sale."
Old 01-29-24, 12:36 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
I feel a bit criminal in saying this, but my Ti bike (1996 Merckx Titainume EX) is only ridden on the trainer. Part of that is because it's a trainer and I sweat a lot, and the Ti is more sweat resistant than my steel frames and part of it is that, after getting hit a couple years back, almost all my rides are done on the trainer, so why not have my best fitting bike be my trainer bike? It's a pretty damn smooth ride on my rocker plate though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.