Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How much is your commuter worth and what kind of lock(s) do you use?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 12:12 PM
cervelo48

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm just curious as to how much everyone's commuter costs, if you leave removable items on your bike [such as: bells, lights, pumps, etc.] when it is locked, and what kind of lock(s) you use.

I ride a Cervelo p1 SS [$800?] as a commuter and have a New York Fahgettaboudit that I put through the frame and cheap cable lock that I use feed through the saddle, frame, and front wheel. My lights cost $50 and I always take them off [which I hate doing because that means I need to stash them somewhere and carry them with me]. Also, do you think my bike is secure? I always look for objects that are built into the ground as opposed to objects that can be unbolted. Does the Fahgettaboudit hold up to its reputation?

Thanks, let me know your setups!
Old 01-20-10, 12:25 PM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
My 3 commuters cost $1800, $1200, and $800. I remove my lights (Dinotte 800L, superflash in the rear attached to my trunk bag). I leave the computer on the bike. I use a cheap cable lock, but I only ride my commuter bikes to work which have a secure parking area with camera surveillance. If I need to run errands, I use the $150 mountain bike with a stronger chain lock.
Old 01-20-10, 12:40 PM
Bioflamingo
Bike Collector

Bikes: 1983 Trek 560

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My main commuter is worth about $1500 and I just use a cheap U lock since I also have a secure area to park it at work. For running errands or to the grocery store I use a $20 bike that I turned into a single speed with a drill and a hacksaw. It's so ugly that no one would ever steal it, and if they did I'd just make another one. I use the same cheap U lock on it. For going to friends houses or places where I can watch the bike I ride any of my bikes that range from $200-$500 and I use a large chain rapped in electrical tape to protect the frame with a heavy duty padlock.

As far as lights, bag, etc I've never bothered to take them off. I have small lock that I put through the zippers on my trunk bag. I don't live in a high bike-theft area though, so maybe taking them off in a bad area is a good idea.
Old 01-20-10, 12:45 PM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
2006 Allez is my favourite bike to use. It's total worth with upgrades is about £850. It's locked in an underground bike shed with a couple of swipe card doors. Some stuff has still been stolen from there. But typically I dont lock my bike. If I do, I use er... dunno thee name of it, but it's some chuncky lock.

I also have a 2009 Tricross, worth around £950, same thing as above.

I used to lock my bikes on the street for days at a time, and then I used 4 locks (2 chunky chains, 1 D lock, one skinny combi lock). I often locked both bikes together at the same location using these 4 locks.
Old 01-20-10, 01:00 PM
seenoweevil
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have less than $500 invested in each of my bikes. I don't lock them at work since I have a secure area and security cameras, but I use a cheap cable lock when riding to the store. I always remove lights and computer at my destinations.
Old 01-20-10, 01:01 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I commute on the same custom built bike I have been riding since 1984. It has had a few upgrades over the years as parts wore out, or some vastly superior upgrade part came along. The bike cost me $2500 back in 1984. That means the bike has now cost me less than $100 a year. (OK, not really true as the parts I buy/bought in any single year may also be worth some $100 or so).

I use(d) either an older kryptonite lock or a heavy cable lock or a bike locker, depending on where I am, and how long the bike is going to be out of my sight. None of those locks, at the time of use, has failed me yet... and I am quite prone to running errands on my bike on the homeward run. I used the same kryptonite lock when I was attending SDSU in the late '80s with the same bike.

I do have to admit that for a year or so I did use a beater bike for going to college in the early '80s... and I used no lock what so ever. (terrible looking girls style step through bike covered in rust with a beat up front basket) I could park that bike anywhere and no one even gave it a second look. But I lived very close to campus during that year, and the quality of ride didn't matter for that commute.

So really a lot depends on the "where" aspect of parking your bike... and how the bike looks. All of my commuters have looked like they have seen better days... they get that way quite easily due to daily wear and tear and road dirt.

If you are riding some shiny bling bike... well you are going to attract folks that like shiny bling. For instance, I never lock up my fast road bike anywhere... it turns heads... no lock will work for any length of time for that bike. That bike only cost me $800, used. But I keep it looking like new.
Old 01-20-10, 01:11 PM
DallasSoxFan
Scan Me

Bikes: 2009 Trek 2.3, 2010 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine is worth probably about $100, maybe more. I have a magicshine and a topeak rack. No lock. Secured, underground private garage with 4 cameras on the bike rack. When I upgrade to something around a grand, I might lock it up using a cheap U-lock.
Old 01-20-10, 01:33 PM
El Gigante

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads Elite, Specialized Trcross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Specialized hybrid that cost about $400 that I use as my commuter. Bike is parked in a locked storage room at my office that few people have access to. As far as parking outside. I have an On-Guard U-lock with a cable that I run through the front wheel. The bike also has a computer, pump, and a couple of lights that I either take off or leave on, depending on the neighborhood, and how long my errand will be.

My son had an old Peugeot road bike that was stolen from him when he left it unlocked to use an ATM. This happened even though he was probably no more than 15 feet away from the bike and his ATM transaction probably took less than a minute. Moral of the story - always lock your bike or be prepared for the consequences...
Old 01-20-10, 01:43 PM
neil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter: 1996 Trek 920 mountain bike. It cost around $800 (CAD) new, but I doubt there's much market for it in its current condition (perfectly functional, but the clearcoat is peeling, and it definitely looks well-used).

Summer - 2008 Jamis Aurora touring bike. Got it at a winter clearance sale for $725 (CAD), and plus maybe $100 in permanently attached accessories. I believe the replacement cost would be around $1200-$1300.

The lights are cheap - $20 for a PB Beamer headlight and maybe $15 for a blinky in back. A friend is planning on running a workshop through my local community shop on DIY lighting, so if I can make it, I'll probably upgrade my lights that way...a bit more budget friendly than higher end commercial lights. I remove the lights when parked outside for more than a few minutes, but when I'm locked up in the (not secured, but out of sight) underground parking at work, I'll leave them on. I used to leave a cheap pump on the bike, but after it walked off one night, I figured that even losing cheap accessories to theft was a waste of money. Now, I take any accessories off that don't require tools, though I do leave on a QR seat.

Locking - I currently have an OnGuard u-lock. I'm planning on replacing it next summer with something from the Kryptonite lineup. The onguard doesn't feel overly secure, and I've had cases where it didn't want to unlock. I also have a cable that I run through any wheels not secured by the u-lock. Not a cable lock, just a cable with loops on the end that I connect to the U.
Old 01-20-10, 01:52 PM
dbgray21
my quads hurt...

Bikes: 2010 langster, 2009 fuse 2, 2009 transition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my commuter is worth about 1300 so i use a fuggedaboutit ulock, and a kryptonite chain. i also take my seat and post and lights in with me.
Old 01-20-10, 02:08 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't carry a lock on the commute. It's secure at work and if I want to run in a store/restaurant on the way I just lean it against the wall. I have done this with all of my bikes, the most expensive being a $4k Vanilla.

When we are out riding around town though... maybe shopping or going out to eat, I almost always lock our bikes with a big Abus chain - which is probably worth more than one of my cruiser bikes.
Old 01-20-10, 02:18 PM
Schnayke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my commuter is worth like 100 bucks maybe. I don't use a lock but I do park it in our shop. Around here normally just any lock will keep people from steeling your bike, as long as it is not really expensive.
Old 01-20-10, 02:32 PM
SlimAgainSoon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My commuter is my prize bike ... but unsure of the value. Probably less than $1,000 (a 2001 LeMond Zurich, repainted a few years ago with upgraded wheels).

I use a wimpy cable lock ... and, I have to confess, I only do one of the four numbers! But then, I park in a pull-through under the office building, not out on the street. The pull-through has a lot of foot traffic, and there's a security station within site.

Sometimes if I'm in a hurry I don't bother to lock.

I leave everything on the bike, including my helmet and gloves.

Last edited by SlimAgainSoon; 01-20-10 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-20-10, 02:47 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Between lights and everything on the bike, probably about $600. I don't use a lock, no crime to speak of here. I don't even unmount my lights.

I did buy a cheap $30 U lock, can't remember which one, but after a while I realized there wasn't really any point to locking up around here.
Old 01-20-10, 03:01 PM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike itself cost about $225 when I bought it last year. Have since added a Topeak rack, some PB lights (front and rear), a 220 lumen LED flashlight as a see-where-I'm-going headlight, a MiniMorph pump, and an under the seat bag for tools and a spare tube, etc.

At work I usually leave on the flashlight (b/c of how it's mounted), the pump, and the under seat bag. Rack trunk and PB lights w/ quick releases come with me. I use a thick Master cable lock to freelock the bike in a secure basement area at the office.

Same routine at home (basement of a secure access apartment building). Also the same if making a quick shopping stop on the way home except I lock the bike to a rack or something - naturally. Same cable lock, though.
Old 01-20-10, 03:02 PM
mtnwalker

Bikes: '84 Centurion Accordo RS, '06 Gary Fisher Marlin, '06 Schwinn Fastback 27, '06 Litespeed Teramo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commuter with the upgrades and lights is around $1000. I have a bike locker where I work and if I want to, I can take the bike in the office. I keep a $40 U-lock in the locker for the times when I have to go out for an errand.

I will take my lights, mini-pump, computer and saddle bag with me when I have to go on errand. Its a pain in the ass to do this but its worth the peace of mind. I will usually lock the bike to a permanent structure and pass the u-lock through the frame and front wheel.
Old 01-20-10, 03:07 PM
K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I seem to remember the Thirty Pound rule:

All bicycles weigh 30-pounds! No one steals a 30-pound bike and the 10-pound bike has 20 pounds of locks on it.
Old 01-20-10, 03:37 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I just invested $500 in a completely new drive-train on the 15 year old Gary Fisher that I ride. New wheels, New crank, New chain and rear derailleur. I use a Onguard U-lock and a cable and sturdy lock, and a close eye on my shee-ite. It would cost me probably $2000 to replace what I have if it ever got stolen.
Old 01-20-10, 03:49 PM
Sgt Skidmark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Totals around 1900-2000. I remove the niterider lights at work but even then I probably don't need to. I have a kryptonite combo lock.
If I hit target, lowes on the way home I keep the lights on.
Crime is very low here. Nobody wants to ride a bike versus their Escalade ESV's, Bimmer, Infinitis anyway.

They probably look at me locking the bike to the shopping cart holder and think "poor bastard, can't even afford a car"
Old 01-20-10, 03:50 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My utility commuter is worth no more than the $150 of parts I put into rebuilding it after salvaging it from the dumpster. Same goes for my singlespeed: About $200 if you include the IQ Cyo.

I use an OnGuard mini-U for both.

My primary work commuter is also my brevet bike, and I have over $3000 invested in it. I do not use a lock, because it is parked in one of two places; in my apartment, or in my cubicle.
Old 01-20-10, 04:02 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I have over $2000 invested in my good weather commuter, this is also my long distance bike. It would be time consuming to duplicate, so I lock it when I stop for coffee or lunch. I use a lite cable lock, it's enough to stop a casual theft.

I'm finishing my bad weather bike, it will have a lite cable lock too.

I don't use any of my bikes for errands. I live in the city and can walk to both a drug store and a deli/market. Once a week I use the car for major shopping and other errands.

I don't need to lock the bike at work, it's indoors and I have only a few co-workers.

Michael

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-20-10 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-20-10, 04:08 PM
jefferee
Que CERA, CERA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take off the lights, panniers, and computer when locking up outside, but usually leave the frame pump strapped to the bike.

Winter bike is a mid-1990s hybrid. Can't be worth more than a couple hundred bucks, even with relatively new Marathon Winter tires front and rear. I lock it up with a cheap U-lock and then have a cable that I use to secure the front wheel to the U-lock.

I paid about $1500 for my summer commuter (a CX bike) two years ago. Resale value now is probably less than $1k. It comes into my office/lab with me, but I'll probably lock it up outside starting next summer.
Old 01-20-10, 04:10 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sgt Skidmark
They probably look at me locking the bike to the shopping cart holder and think "poor bastard, can't even afford a car"
Same here. That's one great advantage to living where the words "bike culture" elicit blank stares--even from cyclists.

My Trek Portland was $1,700 new. Last year I added dynamo lights and a new wheelset for just shy of $1,000. Three DiNottes (which I still use) and cyclometer ran another $700, other upgrades are Tubus rack, Thompson seatpost, Terry Zero-Y saddle. Went cheap on fenders--SKS P-35 in the three seasons, PlanetBike Cascadias in the winter. The wheels, seatpost and fork are secured with Pitlocks.

At the libraries, cycling staff can park indoors. At my quarter-time job in an expensive suburb, it's locked to the handrail just outside the door with the same mid-line Kryptonite U-lock I use when locking to the cart corral at the grocery store. At both places I leave the DiNottes, pump and cyclometer mounted.

When I have to lock outdoors downtown, I supplement that with a Kryptonite Hardwire cable lock, and carry in the accessories.
Old 01-20-10, 04:12 PM
hairlessbill
Daily Rider

Bikes: 89 Bridgestone MB-3, 93 Bridgestone RB-1,93 Bridgestone MB-1, 95 Klein Fervor, 02 BikeE AT, 06 Surly Cross-check, 8? Schwinn Frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think my fixed-gear (no quick-releases!) commuter costs about $350. Pump,tools and lights total out to $80. I leave everything on the bike along with my helmet when I lock it up. I use a cheap $5.00 cable lock I got at Target. I rarely lock it for very long or in a place where I can't watch it. We have covered bike parking at work and it is not located where there is any street traffic, otherwise I would just bring it into my office.
Old 01-20-10, 04:14 PM
cervelo48

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems like most people have a secure place to store their bike. That is great! I wish I had the same luxury, unfortunately, I need to lock my bike outside. I doubt anyone will steal my bike as my University is very small, but I guess I am so dependent and attached to my bike that I've become paranoid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.