Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

TN Commuter 'beercanned' @ 45mph...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-10, 10:30 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Perusing craigslist in the bicyles section I ran across the forthcoming post, but when I went to post it here the individual had cancelled the ad. I'll quote what I can remember. It said: "To the bicyclist who crashed today. The guys who hit you with the beer can were my cousins. They were bragging about it and laughing about how you crashed after they hit you with a beercan going 45mph. If you contact me and give me the details of the crash so I know it's you I'll give you their names."

If you go to craigslist.org/nashville and click on the bicycles subheading a lawyer's rs to THAT post is still there. It's 10:25 PM CST as I'm typing this. Nothing more to add at present.
Old 01-21-10, 10:50 PM
orange leader
B-b-b-b-b-b-bicicle Rider

Bikes: 1997, stumpjumper S-works hardtail, Medici, Giant Perigee(track dropouts and fixed gear), Columbia twosome, schwinn twinn, '67 raleigh 5 speed internal hub, Old triumph 3 speed, old BSA 3-speed, schwinn Racer 2spd kickback, Broken raysport criteriu

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Jerks like this guys cousin irk me to no end. Kudos to the CL poster for having the cahones for being willing to turn his jerk cousins in.

I've had large rocks (from off a bridge), pennies, cans, and glass bottles tossed at me. No crashes resulted, and most of the projectiles missed. I even caught up to one and kicked out their tailight. but usually they get away. It'd be nice to know justice was served.
Old 01-22-10, 01:10 PM
SlimAgainSoon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A beer can at 45-mph ... that could kill a guy.
Old 01-22-10, 02:40 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by orange leader
Jerks like this guys cousin irk me to no end. Kudos to the CL poster for having the cahones for being willing to turn his jerk cousins in.

I've had large rocks (from off a bridge), pennies, cans, and glass bottles tossed at me. No crashes resulted, and most of the projectiles missed. I even caught up to one and kicked out their tailight. but usually they get away. It'd be nice to know justice was served.
Yep. Last summer, spare change seemed to be the new fad around here, too. Twice I had a handful of it thrown at me on a 50mph roadway from a vehicle going the opposite direction.
Old 01-22-10, 04:11 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I've had a can of Coke bounce off my helmet, and a beer bottle whiz by me by inches, but the fellow who threw a bag of french fries only irked me because he forgot to throw the ketchup to go with them, talk about thoughtless!

But it's not only cyclists who get that treatment. A friend of a friend had a rock thrown at her car from a bridge over the freeway she was on. Her neck was severed completely, and her teenaged daughter who was in the passenger's seat had to bring the car to a halt. It destroyed the entire family.

The power of stupidity cannot be underestimated.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-22-10, 04:14 PM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope the guy who got beercanned gets the opportunity to pound the beercanners, figuratively in court or literally, either one.
Old 01-22-10, 04:46 PM
TFS Jake

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I read that post on CL. Pisses me off, glad they figured out who it was.
Old 01-22-10, 04:55 PM
BA Commuter
Comfortably Numb!

Bikes: Jamis Commuter 3.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been riding for a long time, but this year I've had more aggressive drivers cut me off and things yelled at me than any other time.

Is it jealousy or the economy?
Old 01-22-10, 06:46 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I once had someone throw a cup of something at me while commuting. I immediately called the cops (although it took two hours for them to show up) and gave them the license plate number and vehicle description. The cop said there was nothing they could do because it was my word versus theirs and there was more than one person in the car.

I guess the driver shutting off its lights and slowing down are normal when they see cyclist. And the passenger was just throwing something out the window and couldn't see if anyone was around because the lights were off. Thats some coincdence considering I had my lights on at the time.

Hope the cops do more than what they did in my situation.
Old 01-22-10, 07:14 PM
RedWhiteandRed
Bikesman

Bikes: Giant Seek 1 IGH; Specialized Roubaix On Order

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had beer bottles thrown at me from moving vehicles on THREE separate occasions while living/walking/riding in Victoria, British Columbia.
Old 01-22-10, 07:20 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BA Commuter
I've been riding for a long time, but this year I've had more aggressive drivers cut me off and things yelled at me than any other time.

I agree 100% - there's something shifting, and polite society is swirling down the toilet clockwise. I believe we're seeing a generation gap in action, growing wider, where the parents of today's youth (yes, most of the yelling and heckling comes from the younger set) have fallen down mightily in establishing a good set of morals and standard of behavior in their own children. A book could be/probably has been written on this.

I now relinquish the soapbox.
Old 01-22-10, 07:21 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BA Commuter

I agree 100% - there's something shifting, and polite society is swirling down the toilet clockwise. I believe we're seeing a generation gap in action, growing wider, where the parents of today's youth (yes, most of the yelling and heckling comes from the younger set) have fallen down mightily in establishing a consistent set of morals and standard of behavior in their own children. A book could be/probably has been written on this.

Old 01-22-10, 07:31 PM
SneakyKing

Bikes: 2009 Gary Fisher Paragon, 2008 Trek fuel EX 6.5, 2005 Giant XTC, 2006 Fuji Team, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was almost his by a 1/2 full 40oz glass beer bottle while kayaking under a 50ft bridge. that would have really hurt!
Old 01-22-10, 07:38 PM
darkadious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
I've had a can of Coke bounce off my helmet, and a beer bottle whiz by me by inches, but the fellow who threw a bag of french fries only irked me because he forgot to throw the ketchup to go with them, talk about thoughtless!

But it's not only cyclists who get that treatment. A friend of a friend had a rock thrown at her car from a bridge over the freeway she was on. Her neck was severed completely, and her teenaged daughter who was in the passenger's seat had to bring the car to a halt. It destroyed the entire family.

The power of stupidity cannot be underestimated.
wow.
Old 01-22-10, 09:42 PM
seenoweevil
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, some of you live in some tough towns, I guess. I hope I don't jinx it, but the worst I've gotten has been a few obscenities, horns blown, and cut off a couple of times. I do ride mostly on secondary roads and residential streets, I imagine that helps.
Old 01-22-10, 10:20 PM
spacerconrad
I'm in shape! A round one

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, and an old Bridgestone 200 I rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I guess I've been fortunate these last few years, as I haven't actually been the target of a projectile.
Though, there have been quite a few lame confrontations, including one redneck jerk who left his beater Cavalier parked across both lanes of a bridge to scream that we cyclists were always holding up traffic. Other drivers laying on their horns turned his attention back to his obvious hypocrisy and he shuffled back to his car.

Another encounter had a teenaged kid in a Corvette in downtown Little Rock yelling some interesting things as I rode (faster than traffic downtown, but he was showing off to his girlfriend in the right seat).
I rode around the block, caught up to him at the next light, leaned on his doorframe and said, "Nice car. Shame if anything happened to it."
I guess he gave up on looking for a parking spot, because he peeled out when the light turned green, cut across two lanes of traffic, and took the ramp to I-30.
Oh, well. Guess he must have remembered someplace else he needed to be.
Old 01-23-10, 12:06 AM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looked in all the local papers today for any mention of this incident. Nothing. So, my apologies if I can't inform re any resolution. My feeling is the poster/informant's ad was answered, so he/she pulled it off CL.
Old 01-23-10, 12:40 AM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Toddorado
I agree 100% - there's something shifting, and polite society is swirling down the toilet clockwise. I believe we're seeing a generation gap in action, growing wider, where the parents of today's youth (yes, most of the yelling and heckling comes from the younger set) have fallen down mightily in establishing a good set of morals and standard of behavior in their own children. A book could be/probably has been written on this.

Interesting comment. Granted I encounter jerks on the road every once in a while (tonight being a case in point) but I've been commuting since 1969 and it hasn't gotten any worse, hasn't gotten any better either- people threw crap at me then too. I used to chase them down and throw it back at them if I could- now I just keep riding.
Old 01-23-10, 12:46 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I don't think things have gotten worse for cyclists, although my data starts in 1970 and back then I lived among some of the most criminal and stupid people walking the face of the earth. Rural Appalachia has gotten a lot better since then.

My feeling is that things are actually better for cyclists now. Of course I worry about distracted driving, but since nobody uses cassette tapes in their cars any more, that factor may actually be a wash. The fact that the economy has really tanked over the last few years probably does more to make things worse than any other factor.
Old 01-23-10, 03:03 PM
Bioflamingo
Bike Collector

Bikes: 1983 Trek 560

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
The fact that the economy has really tanked over the last few years probably does more to make things worse than any other factor.
I agree with this, but the thing I don't understand is why people choose to spend money on gas just to ride around town. I have several friends like this. They'll go without food before they'll go without gas. They don't harass pedestrians at least, but still.
Old 01-23-10, 05:18 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I haven't had anything thrown at me, but it's been a few years since a car load of teenagers used me for Air Soft practice at point blank range. Luckily that it was a cold rainy day, and I had extra gear on, otherwise it would have left a nasty mark rather than being deflected by my multiple layers of outerwear.
Old 01-23-10, 06:43 PM
Santaria

Bikes: Surly CC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gotta say honestly I'm glad nothing has been thrown at me, my temper can be quickburn sometimes. I think my initial reaction might be to catch up to them at the light and stab the ****er in the arm with my pocket knife and while he sat there screaming ask him why he felt like he had the right to threaten my life? If he didn't answer rather quickly, I'd probably try to loosen up his grip on consciousness with a few door checks.

Granted, I'm speaking hypothetically. Odds are I'd just be pissed and take it like any other idiot.
Old 01-24-10, 12:00 AM
akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Last time I had anything thrown at me was on a cross country trip on the very last day and these guys in an open jeep started throwing apples at me. Funny thing was the sheriff saw them do it and he pulled them over.
Old 01-24-10, 12:47 AM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
Interesting comment. Granted I encounter jerks on the road every once in a while (tonight being a case in point) but I've been commuting since 1969 and it hasn't gotten any worse, hasn't gotten any better either- people threw crap at me then too. I used to chase them down and throw it back at them if I could- now I just keep riding.

I jinxed myself with this response! Read my latest post in How was your commute today?- I guess I stand corrected!
Old 01-24-10, 12:55 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sounds like you did the right thing.

I'm not trying to be sensational about this - in the past five years, violent behavior in general in my town has escalated. Be it nightclub stabbings, shootings during convenience store holdups, or the number of bank robberies, let alone what the idiots are yelling at us cyclists, it is substantially worse. I carefully plan my commute as I am on the road between 1:00 a.m. and 2:00 a.m. Arguably the most dangerous time as bars are closing. I'd rather ride in busy traffic than have to worry about an isolated incident with a drunk driver and no one around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.