Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Makes me want to buy a no-name carbon frame on Ebay.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Makes me want to buy a no-name carbon frame on Ebay.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-15, 10:58 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
My point wasn't that those bikes were stronger but that they were heavier and therefore much less prone to speed wobble. If they tried some of their crazy rides on 16 pound bikes, especially on the roads of the Depression years, I might not be here.

Ben
Old 07-02-15, 11:14 AM
tekhna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
My point wasn't that those bikes were stronger but that they were heavier and therefore much less prone to speed wobble. If they tried some of their crazy rides on 16 pound bikes, especially on the roads of the Depression years, I might not be here.

Ben
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_...eeled_vehicles

There's nothing there that supports the assertion that 16 pound bikes are more prone to wobble.
Old 07-02-15, 11:26 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
I have friends riding inexpensive Chinese carbon frames. No problems. As another commenter said, it helps to know with whom you are dealing, which usually means knowing someone who knows.
Old 07-02-15, 12:47 PM
makeitso5005

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tekhna
The factual information is super-interesting, unfortunately it doesn't mean anything since we don't know where the frame came from, we don't know who made it, and we don't know if it's representative of other Chinese generic frames.
Do you not understand that's the whole point? Anything bought on Alibaba, DHGate, Ebay or whatever 3rd party or popup website source, you have no idea where the frame came from, no idea who made it. You're a test group of ONE, so buy at least 2 frames, cut one apart and ride the other if it passes your due diligence. The article doesn't denounce open mold frames run by companies who've been around long enough to establish a decent reputation...!
Old 07-02-15, 02:45 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I have friends riding inexpensive Chinese carbon frames. No problems. As another commenter said, it helps to know with whom you are dealing, which usually means knowing someone who knows.
I have a stunningly good Chinese-made guitar (Guild GAD-30R), from a factory lined up for Guild by Fender under one of those industry alliances that allows mid-sized manufacturers to still exist. It's from right before Guild renumbered the GAD line and toned down the features on them a bit, they kind of outshone the Guild USA models. The first time I had it in to the luthier I use he was running around the shop showing it to everyone astounded that it was Chinese-made. It compares nicely to guitars costing 4x as much, aside from a poly finish instead of lacquer. Normally poly is a bad thing, because it is applied so much thicker than lacquer, but this is extremely thin to the point that it dents like a lacquer guitar, so the losses are equaled by the benefits. The wood quality is excellent, all you'd get from more money would be cosmetic things like bear claw in the spruce. There's actually a tiny bit of it, though. I don't think you'd get much nicer flamed mahogany than the neck on mine. Of course, you could spend 20 times as much for one made from someone's NOS supply of Brazillian rosewood, and this is Indian... I'd compare it favorably not just to a Guild USA F30R, but even to an Indian rosewood Martin OOO-28.

There are excellent craftsmen in China, just like everywhere else, and I still paid $750 for it 5 or so years ago, so it was, at the time, and GAD guitars were about as expensive as Chinese-made guitars got. Guitars had been pegged as hooligan's instruments during the Cultural Revolution, so reputable manufacture of the instrument is a recent thing.

Fender's cheaper lines of Squiers had just moved manufacturing to China. They were generally OK. If you had enough to pick through you could find a gem, but you could also find unplayable ones.

At the time they were still confiscating huge numbers of fakes at port. "Gibsun" guitars, etc. Except by sheer dumb luck all unplayable garbage. But people risked losing their money to confiscation at the border because it was a guitar for $50.

For bicycle frames, most of the open mold stuff is like the Squiers. Quality control is a bit loose, materials are inconsistent. Stuff from the named companies trying to build up as a business in their own right can be like that GAD line is now, nicely, and skillfully manufactured but nothing extraordinary. The shady eBay/Ali Baba sellers are more like the Gibsuns.

The good stuff will not be independent, having been good enough to be captured by/partnered with one of the big international names - quietly doing what they do.
Old 07-02-15, 04:09 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
There is some truly epic stupidity on display in this thread, even for the 41.

For example. Holy jumping jeebus christopher on a crumbly *******, do you people not understand what counterfeit MEANS? "Made in imitation of something else with intention to deceive." We are not talking about generic, off-brand or open-mold frames, here. We're talking about frames made to fool you into thinking that they are a brand-name frame but constructed cheaply and often improperly. I have heard stories about faked bicycling products that are absolutely hair-raising - a wheel where the inner layers were constructed mostly of newspaper, for example. That's an extreme example, but when you're talking fakes, you're talking things that could be constructed with little to no expertise in the methods and materials, by people with no regard and effectively no liability for your safety. These are the same sorts of people who put melamine in baby formula.

It is true that even a poorly constructed frame probably will not kill you. That does not make it safe, it does not even make it not risky to purchase and ride one of these fakes! The vast majority of Ford Pinto owners were not incinerated when their cars were rear-ended. That doesn't mean that the design of that car was not very hazardous. Loose headset cups are absolutely extremely dangerous. Chances are pretty good that the counterfeit YOU buy will not fail or pose a danger to you. The leap from that to thinking that buying a fake is somehow not rolling the dice is monumentally stupid.

It is perfectly reasonable to think critically about industry marketing, and about what you read in endemic journalism sources like VeloNews. But what I see here is not critical thinking, it is ignorance, willful misreading of this article and outright paranoia. The peanut gallery of idiots here who think anyone with a positive word about the bike industry is a paid shill and that industry journalism outfits like VeloNews only write what they are paid to write by advertisers are NOT in fact experts, do NOT in fact have the slightest bit of earned expertise in the real world to support their chicanery and are sure as hell not to be taken seriously. The full of extent of the qualifications of the BF crew of anti-industry crusaders is being ill-informed loudmouths on the internet. Their delusional and strident self-belief is not the same as actual knowledge - they have all but none of that.

By all means do not believe that the latest Venge is going to change your life and make you 6 mph faster, and by all means do not be taken in by the belief that you need the latest and greatest anything to have a great time riding your bicycle. You can definitely buy a high-quality bicycle that will give you tens of thousands of miles of happiness without paying $10,000 at your Specialized dealer. That's not what this article is about. This article demonstrates a very simple point: when you buy a fake from an unknown or unverifiable source, you literally DO NOT KNOW what you are getting and there are no systems in place to assure that it is safe to ride. That is so far from vilifying "no-name" frames that only a paranoid moron would interpret the article in this way, but this is BF so of course they are here and they are very loud.
I suggest you get off your high horse. I don't need you to tell me what the article says or that China sells a lot of crap. I'm already well aware and if possible I don't buy anything stamped MIC.

But the article was still irresponsible and made a lot of assumptions.
Old 07-02-15, 08:28 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
But the article was still irresponsible and made a lot of assumptions.
Care to quote those assumptions?
Old 07-02-15, 09:02 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney

Ben

If they hit 50 mph on a three speed, that's pretty fast. Doesn't sound too hopeful for future generations, 'tho, as 16 lb bikes are becoming more common than three speeds.
Old 07-03-15, 09:20 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Inexpensive open-mould Chinese carbon frames are somewhat different from counterfeit ones. The former sit in the market on their own merits; the latter thieve from both unsuspecting buyers and from the designers and manufacturers of the originals.

Would you buy a counterfeit Rolex watch from a vendor on the streets of Hong Kong for a 10th of the price of the real one? Safe in the knowledge that it would look good for about a week before the gold plate started rubbing off. And the movement stopped working when you went swimming with it on?

The watch is not going to risk your life, for sure, but the same things applies to a bike that looks like and is labelled like a proper mainstream bike... it is a fake designed to deceive you and your friends and associates into believing you have something real. And in this case, the bike may well be of unknown origin, using poor manufacturing techniques and may well be unsafe to ride... it is, after all, made for appearances only.

I am wondering when a bike is going to appear with a major spelling mistake in the name emblazoned on the side of it. Spcialized? Bianci? Treck?
Old 07-03-15, 09:23 PM
Rowan

The con-job and its dangers extends far beyond bicycles. There is a huge recall in Australia at the moment for electrical wiring in homes from, you guessed, China, the insulation for which deteriorates and exposes the wire in around two years. Heavens knows how it ever got past the regulators, who previously could have been trusted to pick this up. (Australia has 24-volt power, by the way).

Even low-voltage wiring (12v) has its issues with some Chinese makers reducing the copper content, so the innards suffer from corrosion creep more than they should.
Old 07-04-15, 02:54 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
The con-job and its dangers extends far beyond bicycles. There is a huge recall in Australia at the moment for electrical wiring in homes from, you guessed, China, the insulation for which deteriorates and exposes the wire in around two years. Heavens knows how it ever got past the regulators, who previously could have been trusted to pick this up. (Australia has 24-volt power, by the way).

Even low-voltage wiring (12v) has its issues with some Chinese makers reducing the copper content, so the innards suffer from corrosion creep more than they should.
Back in 1974 we were among the fortunate few to have the privilege of buying a house with aluminum wiring. Talk about regulators falling down on the job! Nothing but problems.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-04-15, 03:16 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
To all those who refuse to buy stuff stamped "MIC", where are you getting your stuff? 90% of the "stuff" I buy is made in China. I can't avoid it with most things and with the ones I can I would have to pay 10x premium to avoid MIC
Old 07-04-15, 09:20 AM
knobd

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Inexpensive open-mould Chinese carbon frames are somewhat different from counterfeit ones. The former sit in the market on their own merits; the latter thieve from both unsuspecting buyers and from the designers and manufacturers of the originals.

Would you buy a counterfeit Rolex watch from a vendor on the streets of Hong Kong for a 10th of the price of the real one? Safe in the knowledge that it would look good for about a week before the gold plate started rubbing off. And the movement stopped working when you went swimming with it on?

The watch is not going to risk your life, for sure, but the same things applies to a bike that looks like and is labelled like a proper mainstream bike... it is a fake designed to deceive you and your friends and associates into believing you have something real. And in this case, the bike may well be of unknown origin, using poor manufacturing techniques and may well be unsafe to ride... it is, after all, made for appearances only.

I am wondering when a bike is going to appear with a major spelling mistake in the name emblazoned on the side of it. Spcialized? Bianci? Treck?
Excellent Rowan, too bad it took 110 posts for someone to hit the nail on the head. Reasons not to buy a counterfeit are so laced with common sense that it shouldn't take reading the op's article to make the point.
Old 07-04-15, 09:27 AM
knobd

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bt
you were their target and they succeeded.
I guess you'd rather be a sucker for the guy selling the counterfeit and not the guys writing the article.
Old 07-04-15, 09:30 AM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RJM
They actually cut apart two frames and tested them in this article.....it's worth a read and their conclusions seem sound enough based on the evidence provided.
Two whole frames?
Wow, that is about as thorough and exhaustive as it gets
Old 07-04-15, 09:57 AM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bottom line is if you want to have peace of mind buy from reputable seller, who stands behind what they sell. Performance & Nashbar who come to mind, they both hasve been around over 20 yeasrs as companies that back what they sell for life of ownership.

Sorry to say a warranty be it a hand shake or legal doucement drawn by a team of lawyer is only as good as the people honoring it.

We purchased a couch & love seat from a big local chain furnature store, 9 months laters we began have problems with the cushions, and frame. Company sent their representative to our home, and in the end it was called normal wear. Warranty booklet was worth no more than the paper it was written on. Lets say I am on a mission when someone mentions furnature, I say don't buy from that company, because.
Old 07-04-15, 06:06 PM
Rowan

Slight correction on my wiring post.. 240 volts. Makes a bit of difference... a lot actually.
Old 07-04-15, 07:10 PM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Slight correction on my wiring post.. 240 volts. Makes a bit of difference... a lot actually.
yea :-)......and here a thought I learned something cool :-)
Old 07-05-15, 03:59 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by bt
no.

I mean certain people from a company who make frames and want people such as pepe to believe a stereotype.
Take it easy, let's not get personal.
Old 07-05-15, 08:33 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
He keeps saying vague things but does not want to explain. Apparently they own people like me who buy into the stereotypes. Who are they, what the stereotypes are, and what characterizes people like me have yet to be explained.
Old 07-06-15, 08:31 AM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
stereotypical response.
Old 07-12-15, 08:12 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
Exactly. If someone is selling a counterfeit frame, they are already breaking a lot of laws (regarding patents, trademarks, and copyrights). So I wouldn't trust that their process is up to snuff to build a reliable frame. It may be possible that some counterfeits are well made, but should you trust someone already selling an illegal frame?

GH
The only thing I find laughable about the article is the attempt to make Parsons (the victim of speed wobble) look like a unsuspecting victim; like he really thought he was getting a "replica" and wasn't buying a "fake". I suppose this is because in some states, knowingly buying counterfeit goods is illegal, while it isn't illegal if you were really duped.
Old 07-12-15, 08:18 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
The conclusion I draw is that the counterfeit frame tested does not have the same physical properties as the frame it is claiming to replicate. That is the only conclusion I draw straight from the article. I also believe that this would be the case for most/all counterfeit frames (based on my experience with other counterfeit items and this admittedly small sample size), but that is my opinion/belief, not something to be concluded directly from the article or something I would try to pass as fact.
+1. However, the article itself insinuates their conclusion based on evidently its analysis of the venge: "At Velo, we set out to ascertain how similar these counterfeit frames were to the authentic versions. Did they qualify as “replicas” — or deathtraps?"

note use of the plural
Old 07-12-15, 09:11 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Belly
You have to admit anything sold as a counterfeit is a risk. Would I buy one, though? I might, if I felt comfortable about it. Any good product has online, independent, reviews to reference. The truth is that when working with carbon fiber, it takes no more skill to build a counterfeit than the real thing. It's the specs, the types of fabrics, the layup, the layers etc etc, that make it ride the way it does.
I haven't bought one and wouldn't. Why not save a grand? The reason lies if you have ever known anybody who has had a life changing crash. I have.
So why is a knock off frame a risk? Because even the best brands in the world have a risk of failure. And I know the discipline of testing that occurs with the best brands to avert liability and those disciplines that aren't adhered to with no name brands.

So what is the risk of failure even with all the tremendous R&D of top brands? It happens in spite of all the due diligence. Guess what happens without this discipline? A lot more failures.

Every top brand has had recalls due to frame failures. When do top makers implement a recall? Generally when people have gotten hurt. This is when large companies find out about discrepant frames and weigh the cost of the recall which can be massive versus the potentially greater cost of liability and risk to sink the brand.

In the case of Specialized, they had fork failures on their top race bikes. Procedure was to remove the fork at a Specialized bike shop and ship the forks back to Specialized for X raying and risk assessment. Not all forks were bad and its hard to determine what forks are good versus bad. Recalls can also occur and in fact are common even when there is an interaction with customer poor practices. In other words, using the proprietary expansion plug with a Specialized bike incorrectly by placing spacers above the stem which causes the steerer to be unsupported at the base of the stem where stress is the highest...Specialized has to design for this common contingency which they do.

How much due diligence do knock off brands perform? Little or none. Your body and the choices we make. Not all products are safety critical. Bicycle framesets are.