Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Question about Shimano BL-7402 brake lever

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-21, 09:52 AM
johnlink

Bikes: 1988 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

As you can see in the pictures, the lever axle of my left BL-7402 brake lever sticks out a little on one side but not the other. The lever works perfectly, but it’s annoying that the axle sticks out. How can I fix it?

Old 08-29-21, 10:09 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
I believe that is installed with a small Allen set screw. Those can be a bugger to remove, the worst thing that could happen is Allen strips and you won't be able to loosen.
Old 08-29-21, 10:25 AM
johnlink

Bikes: 1988 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I believe that is installed with a small Allen set screw. Those can be a bugger to remove, the worst thing that could happen is Allen strips and you won't be able to loosen.
The set screw is part #3 in the diagram, the lever axle fixing bolt. My smallest hex driver, 1.5mm, is too large for it. The length of the problematic lever axle is 17.5mm while the other one is only 17.0mm, so the lever axle itself seems to be too long.