Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sloping Top Tube Vintage Road Bikes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sloping Top Tube Vintage Road Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-20, 10:20 AM
Dave_Chelt

Bikes: Raleigh Quadra, Dancelli Max, Sancineto Max, Chesini Innovation, Chesini K2, Scapin KS-Pro, Cotic Roadrat, Concorde Squadra, Olmo Super Light

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Chesini Innovations are lovely bikes - opinions differ on who actually produced the first 'modern era' compact (and I don't think it was Chesini) but these certainly predate the Giant bikes.
Old 12-07-20, 10:43 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 1,870 Times in 1,065 Posts
Good lord, I forgot how hideous those were. That seatpost design never made sense to me. I can't imagine it is actually more aero than a round tube, unless it is slammed like in the photo. If you are shorter than that, you are SOL.

Coming from a mountain bike background, longer seatposts + stems always looked right to me, especially compared to the "slammed" or "fist" amount of post showing. But this? Nope.

Specific to this picture alone, why would someone photograph a bike with the chain half-way between chainrings??

Originally Posted by Reynolds
I think the Giant TCR was one of the first sloping top tube road bikes:

Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 12-07-20, 10:54 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinOldPhart
Fred DeLong's touring bike, circa late '60s. Strangely, with a Unicantor or somesuch on it. A custom job, it is essentially a Paramount.
Really curious if it wears a Paramount S/N. I realize it has the badge, but it's so far off from a standard Paramount (geometry-wise - I'm looking at the headtube angle) that it is its own animal.

-Kurt

Old 12-07-20, 06:19 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Schwinn in 2000 introduced their own sloping” Fastback” production frames.
Old 12-07-20, 06:55 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Sloping top tube? Been around for a long long time. Just a wee joke. I know that this is not what the OP meant. The only sloping top tube vintage road bike to ever come my way was a bike whose name I cannot even remember...
Old 12-08-20, 10:34 AM
3speedslow

^^Chiorda?
Old 12-08-20, 10:51 AM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
- perhaps many consumers like STI shifting more than downtube or bar end and instead of companies decided we need STI, they offered it as an option on some models, received feedback, and further refined their lineup to reach the largest possible audience.
The same thing is happening again... this time with disc brakes. Bike manufacturers are finding that consumers overwhelmingly prefer disc brakes, leaving the rim brake models left unsold.
Old 12-08-20, 04:53 PM
3speedslow

Originally Posted by nlerner

An excellent book talk by the author at Cycles De Oro a few years ago. That Frank Lenz was quite a determined young man!

You know I would get it signed. Very enjoyable read!

Over top my own sloped top tube bike. 2017 RRA of Reynolds 631
Old 09-05-22, 03:36 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Derek Bailey

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5091226976350/

as found in https://www.bikeforums.net/22637183-post71084.html

Old 09-06-22, 04:36 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Sloping Top Tubes

In the late 80's or thereabouts hybrid bikes became popular. As MTBs started becoming more radical with suspensions and so on, hybrid bikes filled the niche between them and road bikes.

In general they had upright bars more suitable for urban use plus more sensible road style 700 x 35c or 38c tires rather knobies. The advantage of a sloping top tube was a lower stand over height near the seat plus the bars were higher for upright riding.

I recall that Bianchi and I think that Giant made a lot of them.

I built this rough stuff frame one afternoon in 1992. I used heavy gauge Reynolds 531 and a short wheel base for honking out of the saddle while climbing off road. It was pretty much a copy of a frame I built one afternoon back in 1976 that got stolen. I added the sloping top tube to compensate for the 11 1/2" BB height.

I was having some neck problems at the time so I had Salsa make me a short reach high rise stem. The frame was set up to switch to drop bars, also cyclocross sewups. Those were 700 x 41c Specialized Nimbus tires.

This was fast and dirty project using what I had on hand as far as lugs and tubing. The Bocama seat tube lug was modified to 76° and the front to about 71°. If I were going to do it over again, I'd do it right and and use a steeper angle top tube.

Over the years I "ovalized" three 26T TA Cyclotouritse chain rings so I switched to a Shimano Deore XT crank.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 09-06-22 at 04:44 AM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 09-07-22, 01:06 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
In the late 80's or thereabouts hybrid bikes became popular. As MTBs started becoming more radical with suspensions and so on, hybrid bikes filled the niche between them and road bikes.

In general they had upright bars more suitable for urban use plus more sensible road style 700 x 35c or 38c tires rather knobies. The advantage of a sloping top tube was a lower stand over height near the seat plus the bars were higher for upright riding.

I recall that Bianchi and I think that Giant made a lot of them.

I built this rough stuff frame one afternoon in 1992. I used heavy gauge Reynolds 531 and a short wheel base for honking out of the saddle while climbing off road. It was pretty much a copy of a frame I built one afternoon back in 1976 that got stolen. I added the sloping top tube to compensate for the 11 1/2" BB height.

I was having some neck problems at the time so I had Salsa make me a short reach high rise stem. The frame was set up to switch to drop bars, also cyclocross sewups. Those were 700 x 41c Specialized Nimbus tires.

This was fast and dirty project using what I had on hand as far as lugs and tubing. The Bocama seat tube lug was modified to 76° and the front to about 71°. If I were going to do it over again, I'd do it right and and use a steeper angle top tube.

Over the years I "ovalized" three 26T TA Cyclotouritse chain rings so I switched to a Shimano Deore XT crank.

verktyg
Holy Moley - you popped that thing together in a weekend?! Where do you live and what kind of beer do you like!