Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

11sp to 12sp missing/quick link

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-23, 05:34 AM
BNB

Bikes: road, mtb, tandem, gravel, tt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

I shipped my bike across the country and managed to lose 1/2 of my KMC 12 speed chain missing link (quick link). I found a new sram 11sp quick link and reluctantly used that - it snapped on fine. I was wondering if there is a safety concern with this. I have not tried riding it - it's a tandem and wanted to check with the forum to see if this would work. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-17-23, 09:41 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Safety? it should stay together...

Possible problem? the 11 sp. link is a tiny bit wider (around .2mm to .3mm, .010" to .012"),externally, so you might get a false shift or a click as it goes around the cassette. Internal width should be the same.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 06-17-23, 12:15 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I can only say that I have had a quick link come apart on a bike only when I mistakenly used a 9 speed pin on an 8 speed chain. It, also, seemed to have set properly. Fortunately I was 1 block from home and at slow speed when it popped. I realize what I had done when I got home. The risk of it coming off, IMO, is too great to take the chance, A chain coming off can do some serious damage.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 06-17-23, 12:36 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
Originally Posted by BNB
I shipped my bike across the country and managed to lose 1/2 of my KMC 12 speed chain missing link (quick link). I found a new sram 11sp quick link and reluctantly used that - it snapped on fine. I was wondering if there is a safety concern with this. I have not tried riding it - it's a tandem and wanted to check with the forum to see if this would work. Thanks in advance.
amazon sells them or most shops sell them easy to find.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 06-17-23, 02:54 PM
BNB

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
amazon sells them or most shops sell them easy to find.
No bike shop nearby (1+ hour drive) and Amazon will be 5-7 days out in delivery. ☹️
Old 06-18-23, 04:38 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
All you have to do is think about what would happen it you were standing to climb a hill or pressing down on one pedal while trying to get clipped in and the chain comes apart. If you're good with that, it's good to go. For the record, IMO if something causes you ask others "Is this a good idea?", the answer is usually "no". If you're going to be a cyclist, keep consumble spares on hand, that way you don't have to ride potentially dangerous equipment.
Old 06-18-23, 06:19 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
If the link engaged positively with no movement when the chain is not under tension, I might be inclined to ride it in an emergency on a single bike. Not on a tandem. Injuring a trusting stoker through my own negligence isn't something I'd want to live with. I'd drive to the bike shop or join Amazon Prime.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-18-23, 02:42 PM
BNB

Originally Posted by nomadmax
All you have to do is think about what would happen it you were standing to climb a hill or pressing down on one pedal while trying to get clipped in and the chain comes apart. If you're good with that, it's good to go. For the record, IMO if something causes you ask others "Is this a good idea?", the answer is usually "no". If you're going to be a cyclist, keep consumble spares on hand, that way you don't have to ride potentially dangerous equipment.
Hmmm. Well, I guess I won't be a cyclist. Thanks for the sage advice.
Old 06-18-23, 02:43 PM
BNB

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
If the link engaged positively with no movement when the chain is not under tension, I might be inclined to ride it in an emergency on a single bike. Not on a tandem. Injuring a trusting stoker through my own negligence isn't something I'd want to live with. I'd drive to the bike shop or join Amazon Prime.
That's the plan. Thanks.
Likes For BNB:
Old 06-19-23, 07:18 AM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Safe, but not ideal

If you listen to the posters on this thread catastrophic failure is just around the corner on every ride. But if you think about it logically the 11spd link is new and chance of failure is not any greater if on 11 or 12 spd. As someone else posted there may be a chance of chain rubbing adjacent cassette or not shifting property.
Old 06-19-23, 07:42 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Pridedog
If you listen to the posters on this thread catastrophic failure is just around the corner on every ride. But if you think about it logically the 11spd link is new and chance of failure is not any greater if on 11 or 12 spd. As someone else posted there may be a chance of chain rubbing adjacent cassette or not shifting property.
Since the 12 speed chain is more narrow, the 11 speed link will not fit as tightly. More potential, however small, for loosening. That said, OP has considered the additional responsibility that comes with the tandem and moved on.