Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

2001 Cannondale Jekyll-anyone rebuild one?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-23, 12:13 AM
AKHIker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I got an older cannondale jekyll that needs headshok and fox float suspension work. Of course the rest is in great condition.

Has anyone done one of these? Recommendations for substitutions?

I'd rather rebuild than strip and scrap it as long as there's a reasonable way to do it.

Thanks
Old 06-19-23, 02:21 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by AKHIker

I got an older cannondale jekyll that needs headshok and fox float suspension work. Of course the rest is in great condition.

Has anyone done one of these? Recommendations for substitutions?

I'd rather rebuild than strip and scrap it as long as there's a reasonable way to do it.

Thanks
Some headshocks can be "rebuilt" and others, meh, not so much.. It's Your Bike. time for YOU to do some research... the internet is a wealth of information.
the Rear Fox Shock is very rebuildable.

alternatives involve cash and.. yep..More Research on your part.

here''s a tip: RockShox sells a fork MEANT as a replacement for Headshocks...and there's a nifty Headset made Expressly for such conversions... How do i know of this fork? I own one... a RockShox Recon... rather light, and fun to ride!

AND, with a bit more search engine time, you may run across an Adapter Headset that allows use of the Far more common 1 1/8" steerer Forks in that 1.5" hole in your frame....too.... pretty sure i've seen a Taper Steerer headset kit for headshock replacement too...
Old 06-19-23, 07:37 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
HeadShok maintenance / service

https://www.mendoncyclesmith.com
Likes For t2p:
Old 06-19-23, 07:44 PM
AKHIker

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
WOW. Can't think of a time I've ever had such a snotty reply on a forum. FYI -asking questions is part of doing research

The prices I got thus far for straight rebuilds make it prohibitive so that's why I was looking for different options
Likes For AKHIker:
Old 06-19-23, 08:34 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,876 Times in 2,315 Posts
WOW. Can't think of a time I've ever had such a snotty reply on a forum. FYI -asking questions is part of doing research

The prices I got thus far for straight rebuilds make it prohibitive so that's why I was looking for different options
It seems that these days asking others for answers subs for actual research. Sure there's an overlap but when those others don't offer up what's lest to do but the homework yourself. It also seems to me that maddog34 gave some good help, just the same. Andy (who has had his own days where answering questions seems like giving away the store)
Old 06-19-23, 11:22 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts

my point is this... it's Your bike and only You know what model and series the parts You want to rebuild.are... You will have to look up links for Those models , Visually match them to images and then find a selection of videos to help You rebuild the suspension with parts You will have to order after Disassembly and Inspection.. We can not do these things for You, You will have to do it,. ok?
Personally, I'd suggest that you take The Bike To a Good Shop and have them do it. Cannondale loves to build things that need special tools or some serious skills to deal with.. and, as i alluded to earlier.. SOME HeadShocks are Not Consumer Rebuildable.

sorry... just being real... now get busy and look up things anyone can look up, then decide if You and Your selection of Tools is up to the task. Are you up to it?
No?
Then Go to a Shop and have THEM do it.... or part it out... or sell it on, as-is, since bikes that need work are worth more than the pile of parts that need rebuilt or replaced. when all is said and done.

heck.. you may find that all you needed to do to the HeadShock is air it up correctly.. they tend to be fairly bullet proof... Cross your fingers and toes!

Last edited by maddog34; 06-19-23 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-20-23, 05:24 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
OMG! I have a 2002 Jekyll 500 I bought used............very used. Mine is flat black. I never had a problem with the Headshok. The Fox rear shock went south soon after I bought it. It was totally shot and I had to replace it.

TBH, I really fail to see what anyone wrote here that could be perceived as "snooty".