Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

'Offset' saddle post ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

'Offset' saddle post ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-23, 09:02 AM
oragex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
'Offset' saddle post ?

Hi all,
just got this old bicycle for my daughter. While testing it, I noticed the saddle was slightly too forward - she's very tall so it's hard to find the right size bike. I did unlock the hex screw under the saddle and could push it back 1inch, but would need another inch to be comfortable. I wonder if there are saddle posts that have an "offset", and if so, what is the name for these so I can search on internet ? Thanks.
Old 08-07-23, 09:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Setback is the term. Look for a seat post with more setback than the current one.

But if your daughter is tall, then is the saddle at the correct height? You might need a longer seat post to get the saddle to the proper height. And since the seat tube is at a angle, that will move the saddle back as you raise it. So more setback in the seat post might not be needed.

A half way decent test for proper saddle height is to put the heel of the foot on the pedal when furthest away and then the leg should be almost straight without the knee being locked. But it's not the end all absolute position for the saddle. It might still need to be adjusted up or down depending on the preference or other fit indications of the person riding the bike.

Don't forget you need to know the diameter of your current seat post. There are several different sizes just a tiny bit apart. And only one will be just right.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-07-23, 09:28 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by oragex
Hi all,
just got this old bicycle for my daughter. While testing it, I noticed the saddle was slightly too forward - she's very tall so it's hard to find the right size bike. I did unlock the hex screw under the saddle and could push it back 1inch, but would need another inch to be comfortable. I wonder if there are saddle posts that have an "offset", and if so, what is the name for these so I can search on internet ? Thanks.
It can be called “setback” (can be one word or 2) or “offset”. It can range from zero set back like that of the Dean below…

…to about 20mm (3/4”)…

…to closer to 40mm (2”)…

…or more. 25mm is fairly common but you can find 50mm setback.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-07-23, 10:26 AM
oragex

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you both. Good point about the height, unfortunately it is correctly adjusted with the right distance to the pedals. Will look for such post, and will also try to swing the handle a little backwards (it's adjustable) see if it makes a difference.
Old 08-07-23, 10:31 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
A 25mm setback post is common and inexpensive. If you need more than that it gets more expensive.

https://velo-orange.com/products/vo-...t-long-setback
Likes For tyrion:
Old 08-07-23, 10:35 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
Don't forget you have another adjustment, stem length. With my pedaling style my saddle is set back quite a bit but that's just to set the correct angles with the pedals. To make a bike roomy enough you may need a longer stem. Beyond that you need a different frame.

It would have helped a lot if you included your daughter age, height, and what bike you are trying to fit to her. That would be the beginning of more useful recommendations.
Old 08-07-23, 11:55 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Some women (and a perhaps smaller number of men) have more widely spaced sit bones than the norm. If the saddle is too narrow, they sometimes find themselves pushing back on it, to try to sit where it's widest, and then reason that that means they'd be comfortable with the saddle positioned farther back.

The real fix is to use an appropriately wider saddle (and, sometimes, to move that wider saddle forward rather than backward).
Old 08-07-23, 12:10 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
It would help to know your daughter's height.

"Very tall" isn't helpful without context. A very tall years old is probably much shorter than a very tall teen or adult.

It matters because there are many options for adult sized bikes, but far fewer for many children's bikes.
Old 08-07-23, 02:07 PM
oragex

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
She is about 5'11" tall, the bike is a Norco Yorkville for women, not sure about the size though. It already has a wide saddle - I guess for women, I tried to sit on it and I feel the side cushions uncomfortable for my body (I'm a male)
Old 08-07-23, 02:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
OK, as posted earlier there's a decent selection of posts that may offer more setback. More important, may be longer posts that will allow raising the seat higher.

IME many people seeking to move the seat back don't need to. Their problem is that it's too low, which causes their knees to go higher and more forward as the thigh becomes more horizontal.

Before doing ANYTHING else, confirm saddle height, which should allow a near straight leg on the pedals, or just toe down stance on the ground.

If, as I suspect, the saddle is too low, raise it (by degrees if necessary) and let her get used to proper riding position before making a decision about moving it back.

IF she still needs more length, keep in mind that it might be better to move the bars forward with a longer stem. I suggest this because moving the seat back changes the weight distribution, usually unfavorably.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-07-23 at 02:30 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 08-07-23, 02:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by oragex
She is about 5'11" tall, the bike is a Norco Yorkville for women, not sure about the size though. It already has a wide saddle - I guess for women, I tried to sit on it and I feel the side cushions uncomfortable for my body (I'm a male)
It could be a bike that is too small? That is not uncommon. A setback post may help but generally if the bike isn't the right size longer posts and set back posts are probably not a great answer.

In terms of the saddle, you really couldn't tell me much yet until you ride it. Saddles are such a personal thing but in the end you cannot give much if any feedback without actually riding on it for some distance. Initial feedback from just sitting on it could be more confusion than anything because your Ischial Tuberosity isn't used to it and it can just be needing to adjust it for you and ride it. I have sat on plenty of saddles that give initial poor feedback but after riding and adjusting they are better.

However on that point some saddles just are totally wrong for certain people or are just poor saddle designs.
Old 08-07-23, 03:31 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Kalloy is good basic stuff, IME.

https://www.modernbike.com/kalloy-un...-x-350mm-black

We will be happy to provide you with more expensive options - all you have to do is ask.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 08-07-23, 05:22 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
"For women"... means the frame has a shorter top tube than a similar sized frame that isn't woman-specific........
Old 08-08-23, 09:40 AM
oragex

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the links, will look into it. My post is 27.2mm as in the link

I feel the frame it's medium size, but then again at almost 6ft tall I wonder is a L size frame would be large enough. May also be the geometry of the bike.. At this point I'm removing and cleaning various components and when finished will have her ride the bike for a while to get a good feedback. She's teen, I think at this age we don't really understand what is a good (comfortable) riding posture.

Speaking of this bike, it's a second hand, I think the person who "maintained" the bike was a car mechanic because I found the chain was baked in old gunky engine oil, all bearings had automotive grease on them, and on top of all this, most bolts were tightened 2-3 times too strong. Perhaps some people just need glasses
Old 08-08-23, 10:30 AM
hevysrf

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
Any one have a source for a 60mm setback in 27.2 or 25.4?
Old 08-08-23, 11:30 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by hevysrf
Any one have a source for a 60mm setback in 27.2 or 25.4?
To the thread topic: OP, consider the SR MTE-100. The post SR came out with when MTBers were playing with slamming seats back for downhill speed. Mid 1980s. It has a very long bed the clamp sits on. Bolt is a QR so the rider can slide the seat as he is riding. Your daughter doesn't need that and an ordinary bolt and nut will work just fine. Setback adjust from (I'm guessing - not going out to look at mine) 20mm to 60+. I use one on my Raleigh Competition which came with a 74 ST angle. (??) Most of the MTE-100s I've seen are 26.8 but I've been shimming 26.8s out to 27.2 forever with pop can shims. The posts out there will be old and may well look it. Mine does. But they are solid, well made and well thought out.

I've also got two 65s in 27.2 but you will not get them out of my hands. Both custom fabrications from TiCycles for the two frames they made for me. (No, those frames aren't mistakes. I insisted on steep seat tubes and short chainstays for fendered tire clearance and good bike handling under me descending mountain roads with poor pavement. I slide forward when the going gets iffy. Maybe wrong but I always have and always will. My race bike had super short chainstays, 74 degree ST, no room for a skinny finger in front of a skinny tubular and was a joy to descend on going down Smuggler's Notch in in the wet. Every more "proper" bike I've had since has drifted from that confidence inspiring I loved so much, until I had the bikes built and purchased a couple of '80s race bikes.

Now, if I were doing those bikes all over - I'd go for a high clearance 72 ST and an ordinary and a lot lighter seatpost.. (Huh you say? High clearance? How?) Well, I didn't say it had to be straight. (Bending titanium seat tubes? Can it be done or will the torque required put a warp in our planet?)
Likes For 79pmooney: