Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

2018 Salsa Warbird Front Derailleur Mount

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-24, 11:44 AM
imbachick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone out there have a front derailleur mount for a 2018 Salsa Warbird laying around? It’s insane - Salsa has basically told me sorry, not sorry, they’re not manufacturing this custom part anymore and I have been trying for weeks to locate one with no luck. They change the frame the following year as well as the mount so anything newer won’t work.

The mounting area looks really custom and I’m unlikely to find anything close to modify to work. I have parts sitting here I basically can’t use if I can’t find this tiny little part. A band won’t work because the tube isn’t round. I have photos of the plate that’s where the mount goes if that helps narrow it down. Fingers crossed someone out there might have one!?
Old 03-01-24, 01:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
Welcome to the world of planned obsolescence.

Sorry, I can't help, nor resist a rant.

It's become far too common for folks to produce bikes with unique parts, then fail to support those bikes for more than a year or two.

The only thing I can suggest is to find something as similar as possible and adapt it.

Long term, the only answer is for people to carefully check prospective new bike purchases for unique parts, and say no. If dealers find buyers resisting, they'll pressure makers to use standard parts or commit to continuing support.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-02-24, 10:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Round seat tube? Might consider a clamp on FD if the tube is not a oddball size. Seems like someone made a clamp that allowed one to use a braze-on FD with it. Even though "Braze-on" is sort of a misnomer today since many of those mounts are riveted or glued on.

If it's a Shimano FD, they made some of their models in both clamp on and braze-on versions.

Welcome to BF!
Old 03-03-24, 05:04 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Ask Salsa nicely for the 3D solid model data or whatever is needed on the part to have one 3D printed, along with a PDF drawing of it in case the data compatibility fails. And the material spec. If they balk, tell them this problem is a current thread on Bike Forums.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 03-03-24, 07:22 AM
imbachick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a round seat tube and it’s carbon - I already tried to see if a band adapter would work and it’s a no go.

Requested a CAD file and so far no response.

*May* have found one. A bike shop in Idaho say they have one and will send it to me. 🤞