Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Seat and head angles with lugs.

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-16, 11:03 AM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts

I'm home-bound for a couple of days and need a way to kill some time. One of my favorite hobbies is designing custom bike possibilities in BikeCad. I usually think in terms of Tig welding but lately, lugs have become important to me (dang that Grant Petersen!). I checked one framebuilding website and it wasn't apparent to me what head and seat angles were possible with their lugs.

My designs will be heavily influenced by early to mid-80's MTB's so we are looking at angles on the slacker side. What are some of the angle options for off the shelf lugs these days?

Thanks!

P.S. if any part of this is incoherent, please let me know. I'm still somewhat under the influence of general anasthesia and totally under the influence of pain pills.
Old 07-05-16, 11:57 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,702 Times in 2,522 Posts
hope you feel better soon.

There aren't really any lugs that will allow slack angles. You can get a few degrees off from 73 by bending. If you want lugs, you are going to have to go bilaminate. People make noises about making mtb lugs occasionally, but the payback just isn't there.
Old 07-05-16, 12:36 PM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mid- late 80's much of MTB production was going to tig and most of the custom guys were fillet brazing if not welding. Reynolds, Everest, Haden were the lugs I was aware of. and had access to. Reynolds was 71/72 Everest was 71/73. Both of these were investment cast lugs. Hayden was early -mid 80's with slacker 68.5/70 angles Hayden MTB lugs were stamped and welded from mild steel. Cheap as they sound they were easy to work with and you could bend them a couple degrees without a problem. I still have a set of them stashed away. I built two bikes with the Hayden lugs and Tange tubing. One I turned into a pretzel racing at Mt Snow VT in 1986. The other became my son's rat bike in college and and eventually rusted out. I built one of the Reynolds using the full lugset with 531 mtb tubing in 1987. My best friend still has it and rides it. The other Reynolds bike I fillet brazed except for the bottom bracket shell and fork crown. I still ride that bike.
The Everest lugs you can still buy from Nova Cycles
CeeWay has an MTB set that is the same spec and look as the Reynolds set. Hayden MTB sets I have seen on UK Ebay.

Hayden :

Last edited by Cyclist0094; 07-05-16 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-05-16, 12:50 PM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As for slackening angles on modern lugs I built a french style constructeurs frame using Richard Sachs lugs back in 2006 Instead of bending and filing all the lugs to slacken the angle. I rotated the main triangle back 2 1/2 degrees allowing the top tube to slope . I modified the chainstay sockets to correct the bottom bracket height.
Old 08-15-16, 04:27 PM
Sluggo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
Nova has a traditional MTB lug set with 71 degree head angle. LUGS EVEREST MTB SETCompatable with NOVA MTB TUBESET for LUGS :: MTB Standard :: LUGS :: Nova Cycles Supply Inc.
Old 08-16-16, 09:02 AM
pwyg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have the older Everest cast MTB lug for sale I have upper head lugs in 71 and 76 degree, lower head in 60, 62 and 66 degree and seat in 73. I also have the 2 bottom bracket shells the MT 1 and the MT 2 as well as a cast shell with parallel chain sockets, I also have one set of Columbus stamped lugs with a bb shell for MTB use.