Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Problem with new freewheel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-23, 09:48 PM
QuietMike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I am fairly new to bikes just to start off, but learning a lot.
I have a juiced scrambler e-bike, it has a single chain ring and a 7 speed freewheel 14-28t
i replaced the freewheel with another 7 speed a 11-28t,
it shifts fine and the gearing is exactly what i wanted, but it has a problem i have not been able to solve.
with the original freewheel, if i was at a stoplight or whatever, in 1st gear (28t), i could spin the pedals backwards to position then on the other foot etc.

with this new freewheel, same gear, now when i move the pedals backwards the chain falls onto 2nd gear, and will then jam if you continue to move the pedals backwards.

i don't understand why this one does this and the original didn't,
I figured that the chain-line was at the extreme and pulling the chain to a more straight position, (though it didn't do that before)
so i installed a 3mm spacer between the freewheel and the hub - in an attempt to move the freewheel further outside, to help with the chain-line when in first gear.
it has helped but only a little.
can anyone help me fix this, or explain why this freewheel does this?
Old 04-06-23, 03:02 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
The new freewheel probably sits a little closer to the spokes. Tightening the cable a bit, either by pulling it tighter through the clamp bolt, or by lengthening the housing with a barrel adjuster, should line up the cogs again. Or you could put a thin spacer ring in before screwing the freewheel back on. Watch out for small-cog clearance if you do that. It's also possible that your derailleur got bent out of alignment somehow, so look to see if everything still looks straight. Be sure to check your limit screws after any fiddling.
Old 04-06-23, 07:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Does the chain go slack on the top run when you backpedal? That might indicate the new FW isn't as free wheeling as it should be. Perhaps it might just have too much grease packed into it and with use the bearings will push the excess grease out of the way and it'll loosen up.
Old 04-06-23, 08:16 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
The issue relates to the tooth profile.

When the chain comes from the side, there's the likelihood of a tooth catching on a plate rather than sliding in.

Picture a boat coming into a slip from angle. A typical pointy front boat will get the bow in then sort itself out, but a square fronted barge is likely to hit on a corner.

This may improve over time as the teeth wear, or can be resolved by grinding or filing the inner corner of each tooth.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-06-23, 10:00 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
One other potential issue - with some e-bikes, the rear hub comes with a freewheel with more clearance than normal for a wider axle. It’s possible that the new freewheel is binding on something like a cone or dustcap, preventing it from smoothly spinning backwards.
Old 04-06-23, 10:23 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by QuietMike
Hi, I am fairly new to bikes just to start off, but learning a lot.
I have a juiced scrambler e-bike, it has a single chain ring and a 7 speed freewheel 14-28t
i replaced the freewheel with another 7 speed a 11-28t,
it shifts fine and the gearing is exactly what i wanted, but it has a problem i have not been able to solve.
with the original freewheel, if i was at a stoplight or whatever, in 1st gear (28t), i could spin the pedals backwards to position then on the other foot etc.

with this new freewheel, same gear, now when i move the pedals backwards the chain falls onto 2nd gear, and will then jam if you continue to move the pedals backwards.

i don't understand why this one does this and the original didn't,
I figured that the chain-line was at the extreme and pulling the chain to a more straight position, (though it didn't do that before)
so i installed a 3mm spacer between the freewheel and the hub - in an attempt to move the freewheel further outside, to help with the chain-line when in first gear.
it has helped but only a little.
can anyone help me fix this, or explain why this freewheel does this?
Wow! Tell me what brand 7 sprocket freewheel with an 11 tooth small you bought so I can get one.
Old 04-06-23, 10:38 AM
QuietMike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Wow! Tell me what brand 7 sprocket freewheel with an 11 tooth small you bought so I can get one.
they’re on Amazon, seems to be the only one out there by a company called Drift maniac, it’s much better than the 14t, the other gears are slights different to, except 1st
Old 04-06-23, 10:50 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I assume you also replaced the chain when you replaced the freewheel?
Old 04-06-23, 01:52 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
A quick search brought this option up... there are others too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20429449240...Cclp%3A2047675
Old 04-07-23, 02:44 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
probably a cheap, Worn chain not meshing well with the new teeth on the Cassette... just a guess

the new cassette may have some poorly cut teeth or even bent teeth too.... just another guess.

and then there's the fact that cheap gimmicky freewheels are manufactured in low budget sweat shops and maintaining any semblance of good quality is not on their list of things to do... just a fact garnered from decades of experience.
does the new freewheel look like a drunk sailor at 02:30 hrs., Saturday when you spin the wheel and don't pedal?? that would be a big clue....