Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

11-speed MTB cassette (minus top cog) on 10-speed road bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-23, 04:05 AM
Jonneh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

I am looking to use an 11-speed mountain bike cassette with the 11T cog removed on my 10-speed road bike to get the gear spacing and range I'm after. From what I can see from charts, sprocket width is the same and MTB 11-speed centre-to-centre spacing is 3.90 mm while road 10-speed centre-to-centre spacing is 3.95 mm --- if ideal alignment is centred on the middle two cogs, the outer cogs would be 0.25mm off correct alignment, which I'm guessing wouldn't be a problem for precise shifting.

The lockring seats just fine in the penultimate cog in other Shimano cassettes I've tried with, so I don't think that'll be a problem. As far as I can tell, then, this should work. Am I missing something?

Last edited by Jonneh; 07-15-23 at 04:11 AM.
Old 07-15-23, 07:49 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Not likely to work as even such minimal differences in spacing make a difference in shifting accuracy. If you had one in hand already I would just say give it a try but doesn't sound like you have one yet. Also, if the cogs are loose (or riveted or bolted together you can remove those to free up the cogs) you can just replace the spacers with 10 speed but cogs like that for entire cassettes are rare these days.
Old 07-15-23, 10:52 AM
Jonneh

Ah, that's too bad. I don't have a good handle on how much of a difference a fraction of a mm here or there will make, but I'm sure you're right.

Indeed I don't have a MTB 11-speed to hand to play with, which would put the question to bed, but I thought one of the tinkerers here might have tried it. It's a shame, because some of the 11-speed cassettes have a nice progressive percentage-gap ramping towards the lower gears where equivalent 10-speeds have big jumps in the higher gears. I'd happily do away with the 11T cog on many of these and start at 12 or 13.

I'll keep in mind the spacer option, but it sounds like a long shot.
Old 07-15-23, 11:45 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I would just look for a 10 speed MTB cassette and replace individual cogs as desired. For example if it's 11-13-15... You can just get a 12t to go 12-13-15... I've gone the route of cannibalizing extra cassettes or buying individual cogs to get the gearing I want. I believe the cogs are the same for 10 and 11 speed - that just the spacers between cogs differ, so you may even be able to cannibalize an 11 speed cassette to get what you want (assuming cogs can be separated - the last 3 big cogs usually cannot).
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 07-15-23, 01:32 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
if you don't use the 11t cog, the LOCKRING will Not Be Locked into place... among the many other issues mentioned ... that 11t cog has serrations that interact with the serrations on the Lockring to LOCK it in place.

just use a 10sp. cassette that you'll like, Enjoy Riding, and quit over-thinking gear ratios.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 07-17-23, 01:30 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Just install that 11s MTB cassette onto the 10 speed road hub. There is no need to leave out the small cog. The 11 speed cassettes with >=34T large cog, have a dished in back side such that it would fit over the 10 speed cassette.
Old 07-18-23, 02:17 AM
tFUnK

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Just install that 11s MTB cassette onto the 10 speed road hub. There is no need to leave out the small cog. The 11 speed cassettes with >=34T large cog, have a dished in back side such that it would fit over the 10 speed cassette.
The cassette will work but I think OP plans to keep the 10 speed shifters.
Old 07-18-23, 09:08 AM
Jonneh

Indeed, that was the plan, but I'm sure crankycrank is right that even 0.25mm out on either side is too much if I want to maintain precise shifting.

I don't think I'm overthinking ratios (I ride a singlespeed most days after all); I just want lower gearing for extremely steep alpine passes with luggage and would be happy to do without the 11T (and probably 12T) in exchange for tighter spacing, if it could be had. Slapping on an 11-speed MTB cassette minus the bottom cog with a 12T lockring against the 13T cog with its integrated spacer (locks just fine IME, even sans knurling) would have been a quick and easy solution, but if it won't work because of poor shifting, then it won't work.

I'm going to go with a wideish range 10-speed cassette, take the 11T cog off so it'll start with the 13T, and add an third-party cog onto the back with a spacer. Should do the trick.

Last edited by Jonneh; 07-18-23 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-18-23, 01:43 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
SRAM and SUNRACE make Shimano compatible 10 speed cassettes in 12-32 & 12-36 sizes if that's what you're looking for. I couldn't find any that start with a 13-30+t which are getting harder to find.
Old 07-18-23, 03:42 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Make sure you are basing the range and spacing of the gearing by what you feel in your legs. On paper what we see isn't really what we are feeling. Not certain what you are after, but you want close spacing for the gears you will be in most of the time. The other gears you only need for climbing can have larger steps between them.

Unless of course all your rides are in groups where speed is dictated by others and the ride is also entirely climbing.
Old 07-18-23, 09:35 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Not certain what gear range you're looking for but check out Miche cassettes, they're liable to have something in the range that you're looking for and have several that start with 12t. Reliable brand at affordable pricing.

Originally Posted by maddog34
if you don't use the 11t cog, the LOCKRING will Not Be Locked into place... among the many other issues mentioned ... that 11t cog has serrations that interact with the serrations on the Lockring to LOCK it in place.
just use a 10sp. cassette that you'll like, Enjoy Riding, and quit over-thinking gear ratios.
You'll find that lots of 12t cogs share those serrations and just require a 12t lockring to make it work. When I built my 10yo's bike this year the 10sp hub wouldn't fit the 12sp cassette I want to use, for obvious reasons, but I just left off the 11t and found a 12t lockring, the 12t cog had the needed interface. Seen the same with shimano and sram in the past.
Old 07-18-23, 10:04 PM
tFUnK

I second the Miche suggestion. Almost went that route (I think for 10sp the road cassettes go up to 30t) but ended up piecing together a cassette with a couple replaced single cogs.

Also agree that sometimes the 12t second tooth on an 11-xx cassette is also a terminal cog. Was somewhat surprised actually, thought I had mixed up my different cassettes in my quest to put together a custom cassette, but have read that it's commonplace.
Old 07-19-23, 12:04 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 237 Posts
Take note of your realistic derailleur maximum cog size and capacity. You can use 9 speed Shimano mountain derailleurs with 10 speed road shifters okay, but they tend to max out around 36t. Searching apparently the Sunrace M900 is rated for up to a 51t and is 9 speed Shimano MTB compatible, so should theoretically work with 10 speed Shimano shifters (also has a clutch). You can stretch official recommendations a bit but I'd be wary of going way off spec--I might try a 40t max on a derailleur rated for 36, possibly with an extended b tension bolt. You can extend maxium cog size a little using a wolf link or similar but they affect shifting a fair amount because the distance from the guide pulley to the cassette is thrown off for the rest of the cassette.

I know you're looking for an easy hack, but for indexed shifting using matched cassette cogs really improves shifting. It's more to spend, but you'll get significantly better shifting if you pick a cassette with reasonable gear spacing (say, an 11-34) and pair it with a subcompact crank (assuming you're running 2x chainrings)with 46x30 rings or lower. If you're already using a triple, you can use as low as a 22t small ring on a pretty standard trekking triple crankset.