Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

1 and 1/8 threaded fork, taller stem height

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-23, 10:38 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts

I'm helping a friend with a 1992 900 series mountain bike Trek with a 1 and 1/8 threaded fork. She needs to get that stem higher and I'm trying to figure out the options.

Option A is to find a 1 and 1/8 threadless adapter. Those are hard to find. I found this from Performance, https://www.performancebike.com/fort...BoCijsQAvD_BwE

The other ones I've found are all one inch threadless adapters. Does anyone else make a threadless adapter for a 1 and 1/8 inch threaded fork?

Option B is to shim it. Is that an acceptable solution? I'm a little leery of doing this but perhaps I'm wrong to be concerned about a shim to take the fork from 1 and 1/8 to one inch. If this is a viable option, what should I look for?

Edit: Soma sells a shim: https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/273...rer-5554#attr=

Last edited by bikemig; 07-27-23 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-27-23, 12:34 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Plan C: get your friend to do Stretching Exercises on a daily basis, and get high rise BARS.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29563893984...Bk9SR5qb4YmzYg

And i've found that the more upright a person sits when riding, the more PAIN they are in after a ride.
When their want to plant both feet flat on the ground while their butt remains firmly stuck to the extra-wide, too soft, Chafe-causing seat is added to the equation,... they are absolutely miserable during the ride too. Each pedal stroke brings a pained grimace to their faces.

Last edited by maddog34; 07-27-23 at 12:41 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 07-27-23, 12:43 PM
storckm
Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
I have a couple of 1 1/8 threaded bikes, one with a threadless adapter. I wouldn't use a shim for a quill stem. Maybe a different style bar with some rose and sweep would accomplish the same end?
Likes For storckm:
Old 07-27-23, 12:45 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Bikemig, This is one of those cases where the US market isn't so great. Procraft as well as by.Shulz (German brands) makes them in both sizes and they're inexpensive in Europe. I'm quite familiar with many of European retailers who deliver to the US and in checking these it seems Rose Bikes offers the lowest shipping to the US "if" you're only ordering small items and not too many. The cart adjusts the price for deliver fees. You'll figure it out as to whether or not it's worth it for you. From my experience when I shop at such places, I go through the website and see if there's anything else worth buying, to maximize the bang for the shipping cost. There's many other German websites to shop from that have higher fixed shipping cost that are better if you order many items, like tires or something.

https://www.rosebikes.com/byschulz-a...-stems-2665754
Likes For Garthr:
Old 07-27-23, 01:24 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by maddog34
Plan C: get your friend to do Stretching Exercises on a daily basis, and get high rise BARS.

snip . . ..
Fair enough, but this is for a person with short legs and a long torso. So a 15.5 inch rigid MTB (a '92 Trek 900) works great in terms of standover height, but the cockpit is a problem. I need to stretch the cockpit out for this to work and tallish 1 and 1/8 quill stems or threadless adapters are scarce.
Old 07-27-23, 04:15 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Originally Posted by bikemig
Fair enough, but this is for a person with short legs and a long torso. So a 15.5 inch rigid MTB (a '92 Trek 900) works great in terms of standover height, but the cockpit is a problem. I need to stretch the cockpit out for this to work and tallish 1 and 1/8 quill stems or threadless adapters are scarce.
"Tallish" and "Stretch" are two different things... I'd suggest that you at least figure out what you're trying to achieve before you start tossing parts at a bike.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26634494152...Bk9SR6rF7JWzYg
etc..... there are dozens of them available. I have two in stock, personally...

Have you actually MEASURED a "1 1/8" threaded stem"?
they are ONE INCH OD where they slip into the top of the fork... plus or minus a tiny bit.
i also have many of those, in various lengths and rises... some with, and some without Canti cable guides.

I strongly advise that you GO TO A BICYCLE CO-OP/RECYCLER, or Local Bike Shop, and get what you falsely think is so rare.

also.. measuring from the crank center to the top of the seat tube is a now Obsolete Gauge of frame size due to the very frame type you have.. Measure from the Center of the steering head to the center of the Seat Post to correctly determine frame size. I understand that you referred to Standover height, but that is NOT the "frame size" .. (this is mostly to clarify for others that might read this thread... )

Last edited by maddog34; 07-27-23 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-27-23, 04:37 PM
bikemig 

"Tallish" and "Stretch" are two different things... I'd suggest that you at least figure out what you're trying to achieve before you start tossing parts at a bike.
Thanks but I know the difference. I'm familiar with the other things you talked about as well but you apparently didn't read what I asked about and why. A threadless adapter makes it easier to play around with different configurations.

Edit: By the way, I did put you on my ignore list. It will save me the trouble of reading your weirdly condescending posts in the future, .

Last edited by bikemig; 07-27-23 at 05:03 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-27-23, 04:37 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
this work? stem is stainless.

Last edited by Schweinhund; 07-27-23 at 04:44 PM.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 07-27-23, 04:52 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
this work? stem is stainless.

Thanks! That's very kind. I have one with roughly those dimensions on the bike. I am having trouble tracking down a threadless adapter.
Old 07-27-23, 04:56 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Thanks! That's very kind. I have one with roughly those dimensions on the bike. I am having trouble tracking down a threadless adapter.
Do you need something different from this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B7L424X2

https://www.amazon.com/cyclingcolors.../dp/B07FH7CQ7P
Old 07-27-23, 05:01 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Thanks yeah, I found one via performance as well. I imagine that's what I'll end up getting.

Garthr in post 4 hit the problem on the head.

Last edited by bikemig; 07-27-23 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-27-23, 06:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
I would look into high rise bars and maybe something with a little sweep back as the cheaper option and a better more reliable option is get a Cane Creek 40 in EC34/EC34 and a fork from Surly or really anyone who makes a threadless 26" fork and then you have standard parts and can get whatever is needed and that bike can go on for a long time. Plus with the new fork you might have more mounting options for racks and bottles and stuff sack cages and whatever else you need plus you might could find something lower travel (so you don't screw up the geometry too much) and get a little more comfort out of the bike.

I wouldn't faff about with adaptors and stuff like that. I would say check out Innicycle but their stuff is 1" only but It is the best solution to the problem of adapting threaded forks with modern threadless components.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-27-23, 07:56 PM
maddog34

Thanks but I know the difference. I'm familiar with the other things you talked about as well but you apparently didn't read what I asked about and why. A threadless adapter makes it easier to play around with different configurations.

Edit: By the way, I did put you on my ignore list. It will save me the trouble of reading your weirdly condescending posts in the future, .
good luck "finding" what is not at all rare.

PS... i posted a link to what you are "having trouble finding". i also tried to help your quest to raise the cockpit, and other responders offered similar advice.

Last edited by maddog34; 07-27-23 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-28-23, 04:51 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
good luck "finding" what is not at all rare.

PS... i posted a link to what you are "having trouble finding". i also tried to help your quest to raise the cockpit, and other responders offered similar advice.
I'm still trying to figure out why a female with a long torso should be on a small frame and looking for a tall handlebar, when a larger frame with standard handlebar would offer better reach (if stand-over wasn't too huge - plenty of kids used to ride bikes they couldn't straddle, and most of them didn't die).
Old 07-28-23, 10:38 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts

Zoom Q-5, is available on the US's most popular bike distributor(QBP), I'm sure someone will sell you one!

The Forte also looks fine.
Likes For cpach:
Old 07-29-23, 12:38 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
https://www.performancebike.com/fort...RoC4X4QAvD_BwE
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 07-29-23, 05:42 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
I don't see the problem since the adapter you referenced should function perfectly. AFAIK, there are a couple of sizes (lengths). The combo of adapter, stem length/rise and bars should place your friend wherever she feels comfortable. However, I would not consider a shim.

Last edited by 2old; 07-29-23 at 12:06 PM.
Likes For 2old:
Old 07-29-23, 06:02 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
One thing I would NOT do is to shim a stem. To get a bar up higher, why not put a "BMX" bar on it. Many different heights available and you wouldn't have to change the stem. 25.4 bmx handlebars - Google Search
Likes For freeranger:
Old 07-29-23, 06:07 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by cpach

Zoom Q-5, is available on the US's most popular bike distributor(QBP), I'm sure someone will sell you one!

The Forte also looks fine.
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. My earlier search only turned up the Forte and I was curious what the heck was out there. And yeah QBP stuff is easy to find in a lot of retail stores/mail order places but for some reason this one did not turn up when I googled it. This is very helpful.
Old 07-29-23, 06:08 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by freeranger
One thing I would NOT do is to shim a stem. To get a bar up higher, why not put a "BMX" bar on it. Many different heights available and you wouldn't have to change the stem. 25.4 bmx handlebars - Google Search
Yeah, I thought it was kludgy at best but I was curious whether that was an acceptable solution. The BMX bar is a little too high but a riser bar is easy enough to find. I'd like to start with a threadless adapter for a 1 and an 1/8 threaded fork first before playing around with the handlebars.

Last edited by bikemig; 07-29-23 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-01-23, 01:44 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Best idea yet, but be aware that there might not be enough flat real estate for brake and shift levers. Measure first. Your local dealer can also order riser handlebars from QBP and JBI.