Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

First ride 1987 Peugeot

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

First ride 1987 Peugeot

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-23, 09:04 AM
imabeliever1

Bikes: Bicycles, Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 47 Posts
First ride 1987 Peugeot

Bikes owner was downsizing and no longer rides. So, he sold it to the shop where I work a couple afternoons a week. I bought it from him.
Was originally purchased in Germany and has been ridden very little. Shimano 105 components throughout. I went thru it and changed to lower gearing for me and the local hills.
Rides great. Had a flat 1/2 from home on ride return. My fault. Rim tape is too narrow.

I need to drop bars a bit and nose seat up slightly to finish my work on making it fit.
Likes For imabeliever1:
Old 09-18-23, 02:00 AM
dekwon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What bike model is that? I see there is a tubing badge on frame. I have very similar frame with the same color. But completely different parts and a painted fork.
Old 09-18-23, 04:20 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Peugeot HLE Tubing

The sticker on the down tube indicates that it's Peugeot HLE Mangaloy tubing.

Here's Peugeot's Marketoid Hype about "HLE" tubing. When they mention "Micro Alloyed Steel" the percentage of all of the alloying elements are probably less than 3% by weight. HLE tubing probably has a strength that's between gas pipe steel and higher strength steels like Reynold 531, Columbus, 4130 Chrome Moly and Super Vitus. This allows the tubes to have a thinner wall thickness thus the "7 ounces" weight reduction. It's really not about the weight of the tubes but thinner wall thickness provide a more shock absorbing and supple ride.

The lugless internal brazing technology is nothing new. It's been used to braze tubing together for decades: think furniture made of tubing, auto components and so on. The tubes are carefully mitered for a close fit. A "preform" of brazing material is placed inside the joint and when heated it melts to forms an internal braze. Peugeot, Gitane and Motobecane introduced this lugless brazing method on lower to mid price range bikes in the early 80's to reduce the cost of building lugged frames. It was an attempt to compete against Asian made bikes that were flooding the European bike market. I don't recall ever seeing a failure in any of those French frames, unlike the cheap kid killer department store gas pipe bikes made in the US at that time.

Automated lugless internal brazing significantly lowered the cost for bikes in that price range.

Motobecane called their lugless internal brazed frames "Inexternal". This give a better view of the process.

Someone else can give you model info.

BTW, Shimano 105 components worked very well. They were WAY under priced for the OEM bike makers. It was Shimano's way of "poisoning the well" for the mid price range market.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 09-19-23 at 01:50 AM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 09-18-23, 06:26 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,293 Times in 1,281 Posts
I have one of these bikes in my shed. I bought it years ago and did nothing with it other than stash it away for a later date that never came. It is an HLE internally brazed frame that , I think , was a mid range bike. I guess this is inspiring me to get it out of the shed on the side of my house and get it on the road. I think I paid about $75 for it at a garage sale. Mine is black but has the same stripe . I haven’t really looked at it since I bought it. I did notice that it was light and had stainless steel spokes with some nice components .
Old 09-19-23, 09:30 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Lugless construction is a real weight-saver versus using steel lugs, so a lugless Mangalloy frame might be nearly as light as a comparably-sized frame built from Cr-Mo.

Mangalloy tubing is perhaps the most heat-tolerant steel alloy of the popular choices like Cr-Mo, 5-3-1 or common Hi-Ten, so one aspect of quality control is improved by choosing it.

I think that'll be a great-riding bike once you get the fit dialed in. I have a similar PH501 from 1984 but with Huret shifting ensemble and Weinmann brakes.
I did have to extend/lower the slot in the seat lug by a good amount to effect adequate clamping performance using a "Campagnolo-style" clamp bolt on the typically-undersized 26.4mm post.

Last edited by dddd; 09-19-23 at 09:48 AM.
Likes For dddd:
Old 09-19-23, 07:18 PM
imabeliever1

I haven’t had the chance to ride it again, but look forward to it.
The only thing I don’t like about it so far is the 24.0 seatpost.
Just wish it was a more typical size.
Old 09-19-23, 07:33 PM
imabeliever1

Originally Posted by dekwon
What bike model is that? I see there is a tubing badge on frame. I have very similar frame with the same color. But completely different parts and a painted fork.
It does not have a model on listed on it.