Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

10 speed double crankset compatibility

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-23, 02:34 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts

I have a road bike that is currently wearing a Campagnolo Veloce 10 speed groupset. In order to get more low-end gearing, I'm thinking of switching to a Tiagra groupset. This would allow me to run a large cog of 34t, instead of the current 27t. I know that this would mean new shifters, derailleurs, freehub and cassette, but would I also need a new crankset? In other words, is the distance between chainrings different on Shimano vs. Campy, or can I save some money and continue to use the Veloce crankset?
Old 12-28-23, 03:29 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
The crank will shift and function fine, but it is narrower spacing than current Shimano. This largely means that the outer trim position on the shifter won't work. This is common on Shimano bikes with aftermarket cranks like Praxis.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 12-28-23, 05:25 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
If you don't change the crankset or chainrings, you MIGHT get by keeping the FD. You'll probably have to finagle the indexing, but that should br possible.

OTOH, if the new crankset has slightly different spacing, it should be workable by setting the shifting based on the outer ring, and using the limit screw to set trim on the inner.

Mixing components IS possible if you're willing to tinker.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-28-23, 08:37 PM
oldschoolbike

Bikes: 1974 PX-10E sold, 1977 Witcomb stolen, 1980 Roberts 1 speed, 1987 Cyclops 3 x 6 friction triple crank, 2010 Masi Commuter 1 speed, 2017 Ribble 525 2 x 10 with Ergos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
If your current Veloce drivetrain is healthy, consider keeping everything BUT the crankset, and swapping it for a compact (50-34) or subcompact (46-30) set. I swapped a 46-30 into my Veloce 10-speed drivetrain, and everything worked perfectly after lowering the front changer and taking a link out of the chain. I got to keep the Ergo levers.

My crankset is a “doublized” Centaur 10-speed triple with a Specialites TA 46T middle ring, the stock 30T granny, and no outer ring. These days, thanks to aging boomers like me and to adventure/gravel riding, there are more 46-30 options out there, including square taper and two-piece options. I went square taper so that I could adjust the chainline for the way I ride.

oldschoolbike
Likes For oldschoolbike:
Old 12-29-23, 07:48 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
If you don't change the crankset or chainrings, you MIGHT get by keeping the FD. You'll probably have to finagle the indexing, but that should br possible.

OTOH, if the new crankset has slightly different spacing, it should be workable by setting the shifting based on the outer ring, and using the limit screw to set trim on the inner.

Mixing components IS possible if you're willing to tinker.
A short pull Campy derailleur is not going to work with current Tiagra long pull front shifting.

See how long that arm is?

Likes For Kontact:
Old 12-29-23, 10:51 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Praxis Alba cranks are available in 48-32, 50-34, and 52-36, and are compatible with Campagnolo. https://praxiscycles.com/product/alba/#FAQ
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 12-30-23, 12:22 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Same thought. Why change your whole group? Is there something wrong with it ?

Originally Posted by oldschoolbike
If your current Veloce drivetrain is healthy, consider keeping everything BUT the crankset, and swapping it for a compact (50-34) or subcompact (46-30) set. I swapped a 46-30 into my Veloce 10-speed drivetrain, and everything worked perfectly after lowering the front changer and taking a link out of the chain. I got to keep the Ergo levers.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 01-01-24, 08:28 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike
... can I save some money and continue to use the Veloce crankset?
Yes. I'm doing something very similar on my trainer bike: Campy 10 sp crankset, Shimano everything else. Never a hiccup, and this bike gets abused.
Likes For BTinNYC: