Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

11T Cog Jump Solved

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

11T Cog Jump Solved

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-24, 07:14 PM
Acadianbob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
11T Cog Jump Solved

This may be a "well duh" to most of you. I put a new cassette on my Wahoo Smart that went from 12-25 (old) to 11-28 new cassette. The chain would climb the 11T cog and then "jump". I tried everything I could think of to solve this issue. New chain. Full rear deraileur adjustment. Hanger alignment. Nothing worked. Then I finally noticed (after months of cursing the situation) that the chain did not seat as deeply in the 11T cog as on the other cogs. The lock ring diameter was too large. The sides of the chain would rest on the lock ring; thus the chain was not fully seated; thus the jump. I found that I had a spare 11T lock ring; installed it; problem solved.

The new cassette that I bought did not include a lock ring so I just used the old one. Mistake. Glad I had a spare lock ring from my "outside" bike.

So, the bottom line is, if you change your cassette to include a smaller cog, pay attention to using an appropriate lock ring.

Maybe this post will help someone out at some point.

Last edited by Acadianbob; 02-13-24 at 08:20 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-14-24, 08:56 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
IIRC every (and I tend to not make absolute claims) cassette from Shimano, SRAM and others (can't speak to Miche and other secondary brands though) come with their new and proper lockring. I suspect that this new cassette's ting was lost from the packaging. If this was purchased from a bike shop it should be easy to return to that shop and get the missing lock ring. Every shop I have worked at has had a stash of old rings waiting for this very type of situation (and this absolute claim is correct) Andy.
Old 02-14-24, 10:22 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
This was a common issue when 11t was first introduced.

I remember, back when Campy first added 11t cassettes. They came with the specific 11t lockring included. Immediately, purchasers of 12t cassettes started complaining that no lockring was included. It was hard to explain that they already got one with the hub, and didn't need another.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-14-24, 10:49 AM
Acadianbob

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
IIRC every (and I tend to not make absolute claims) cassette from Shimano, SRAM and others (can't speak to Miche and other secondary brands though) come with their new and proper lockring. I suspect that this new cassette's ting was lost from the packaging. If this was purchased from a bike shop it should be easy to return to that shop and get the missing lock ring. Every shop I have worked at has had a stash of old rings waiting for this very type of situation (and this absolute claim is correct) Andy.
This was a SRAM 9 speed unit bought online. I was surprised that there was no lock ring. You are likely right that it was just lost somehow. (possibly even me). Anyway, I'm just glad to have finally gotten the issue resolved. Inexperience I guess . . . .
Old 02-14-24, 12:53 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Acadianbob
Then I finally noticed (after months of cursing the situation) that the chain did not seat as deeply in the 11T cog as on the other cogs. The lock ring diameter was too large.
Watching the chain close up and in slow motion as it moves through the cogs and gets shifted is so much more effective than guessing and throwing half-baked solutions at a problem. Congratulations on rising to a new level of understanding of how bikes work and how to fix them.