Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Help, i need your advice

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Help, i need your advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-15, 05:31 PM
Arman.Universe

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 1.9 D 2013 RED

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help, i need your advice

Hi everyone
I want to buy a hybrid bicycle and need your help.
I live in Iraq(Kurdistan) and I am a college student. I want to ride 20 km distance everyday to college using the bike i buy.
Here in my country, the options very limited,i can almost say that there are no options ,because every single bicycle in the market is made in china.
After searching hard in the most of bike shops, i found a bike that was the most expensive and as sellers said, the best one available
It is a bike with this name: phillips tx-8800, price is 170~180 $
i have attached two photos that give you a simple idea about it.
Now my question is that, is this bike worth buying? have you ever seen such a bike?
what is the worst possibility if i buy it and what sort of problems is it going to cause me ?
I appreciate any help and suggestion
Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20150127_124705559.jpg (101.7 KB, 54 views)
IMG_20150127_124715533.jpg (102.2 KB, 46 views)
Old 01-29-15, 11:51 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I don't know how much folks on the forum will be able to help. It's difficult to see very much of the bicycle in the pictures, and these bikes aren't sold in the U.S.

My best guess would be that this is a bike of similar quality to those sold in places like Walmart. The problem with these bikes (in general) is that they're heavy and the components don't work well (and wear out quickly).

You might get better advice if you could get a look at the components -- look for a brand name and model. Derailleurs, brakes, suspension, and such are the important components. Also, lift up the bike to see how heavy it is. Ask what the frame is made from (steel or aluminum).

Even a cheaply built bike is better than no bike if you need to commute 20 km. And if/when components break, you might be able to replace them with better ones. Is your constraint that you can't buy bikes from other countries? If so, does that apply to bike parts as well?

Generally, the forum advises people to get the best bike they can afford. But if you're constrained by what bike you're ALLOWED to buy, you might need to start with what you can and try to improve it bit by bit.

Good luck!
Old 01-30-15, 01:17 PM
Arman.Universe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many thanks dear mcmoose for your answer
I think it weighs around 10-15 kilograms, and i am sure about that the frame is aluminium and most of its main and important components have Shimano name on them, but i can't see their exact model. By the way I've seen people in websites and forums say that shimano has good and bad quality components and I am aware of that the possibility of their being not good ones is more.
Also I know what I said was a very little info, but regarding them is the bike worth buying?
The point of my buying a bike is that i have to pay around 10 $ every day for taxi to take me to college and back to home. Also my weight is 123 kg and i am trying to burn some calories and lose some weight using the bike. I forgot to ask: will my weight(123 kg) matter?
I can order bike and its components via shipping companies from amazon but summing the price with shipping rates will cost me multiple times of its price, for example my budget is 300~350$ and I wanted to buy this: Amazon.com : Vilano Performance 700C-21 Speed Shimano Hybrid Flat Bar Commuter Road Bike : Sports & Outdoors
but the shipping company said it will cost me 750$ ! so bike parts will also cost more
My only chance is to buy it from Germany, I have a friend there that can buy it for me and send it via a low cost shipping method that takes too much time , because it is a one time buying and i can not order any parts or accessories in future,so can i buy it and in future if any part of brakes or tires or even chain break, can i use the parts that available here? will they fit if they are the same size but not the same company or mark?
And about choosing the right bike between those that available in Germany, I want a fitness hybrid, can you please help me choose one:
as i said my budget is 300~350$ (280 euro) and i found this models in German amazon that fits my budget:
28" KCP CROSSRAD FITNESSBIKE FAHRRAD STRADALE 1.0 ALU 21 Gang Shimano weiss - 71,1 cm (28 Zoll): Amazon.de: Sport & Freizeit
what do you think about it? Can you please suggest any other models available in Germany?
Sorry for asking a lot of questions, i am really confused
Old 01-30-15, 01:48 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by mcmoose
...start with what you can and try to improve it bit by bit.

It's the way to go... Pick a bike frame that fits and go from there... Take your time... There's a learning curve you have to deal with too...
Old 01-30-15, 02:13 PM
mcmoose

One main decision point is whether or not you want/need front suspension. This depends on how rough of terrain you'll be riding on. If you're mainly riding on paved roads (without horrible potholes), I'd suggest foregoing the front suspension -- they add weight, cost, and complexity. Plus, unless you get a good one, they are more bother than they're worth.

If you don't need the suspension, the bike I'd suggest from the Google site is this one:
Fitnessbike 28" SUBS 1.0 Schwarz Matt (2014): Amazon.de: Sport & Freizeit

I think it's within your budget, is a reasonable weight, and has pretty decent components.

The good thing about modern bikes is that parts/components are pretty interchangeable. You have to pay some attention to number of gears front and rear, but generally you simply measure what you need and vendors have it.

The other thing you need to think about is what size frame you need. Getting a bike that fits is critical. Sadly, a bike of a give frame size with vary a bit from brand to brand. But the good news is that, if you're within one frame size, you can adjust things and get a pretty good fit.

In an ideal world, you'd go to a good bike shop and they'd fit you with the right bike. In your situation, you might try a couple of sizes at your local shop and/or use the online guides to figure out a decent fit. For example, I'm just over 5' 8" and have a 54 cm road bike and a 17.5" hybrid -- you tend to have a smaller frame in a hybrid. I could have gone with a 19" hybrid, but personally liked the fit of the 17.5" better.

Critically, when you stand over the bike (not on the seat), you should be able to have both feet flat on the ground with 1-2" of clearance to your crotch. There's a lot more to bike fitting, of course, but that will get you in the ballpark -- fortunately, precise fit is less critical for hybrids than road bikes.

Good luck!
Old 01-30-15, 02:16 PM
mcmoose

Oh, and your weight shouldn't be an issue on any of these bikes.
Old 01-31-15, 04:54 AM
Arman.Universe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks dear mcmoose and also thanks for you dear zandoval
You made me clear
I bought the bike today,I was wrong, it is not aluminum, it is heavier than what i guessed, here are some pics:
Attached Images
DSC05045.jpg (102.1 KB, 40 views)
DSC05049.jpg (104.4 KB, 30 views)
DSC05050.jpg (94.5 KB, 32 views)
DSC05051.jpg (95.7 KB, 33 views)
DSC05055.jpg (100.0 KB, 44 views)
DSC05056.jpg (96.1 KB, 30 views)
DSC05057.jpg (104.5 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-31-15, 08:08 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I think you got a very decent bike, for your money - disc brakes and all. Appearances look like it will be heavy duty, and capable of most surfaces you will ride on.

Make sure you read up on maintenance, especially lubrication, and adjustments.

Keep it clean, locked when empty, oiled, and adjusted - and it should suit you well....

Also, weight means little in the Hybrid world of bikes - fit and maintenance will make a huge difference in your ability to go far and fast.

Visit here often if you have any questions, or are in need of advice.

And, pictures of where you ride are always appreciated.
Old 01-31-15, 01:57 PM
mcmoose

As Wanderer says, take good care of your ride, and it will take good care of you. Buy a good lock so it doesn't become someone else's ride.

I notice you appear to have lock-out suspension... go ahead and lock it out when you're on smooth roads; that will give you a tad more power.

Have fun! (And, yes, we'd love to see pictures of where you're riding.)
Old 01-31-15, 02:43 PM
lopek77
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bicycles are popular alternative to cars in Iraq | Mawtani
Old 01-31-15, 03:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Just hair slicing semantics , But you own a Mountain bike Now . its still a Bike to get you around .. Enjoy..
Old 01-31-15, 04:19 PM
mcmoose

I want the bike store owner in the article lopek77 linked to sell me one of those bikes with advanced features that can go over 60 km an hour!
Old 01-31-15, 04:44 PM
lopek77
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcmoose
I want the bike store owner in the article lopek77 linked to sell me one of those bikes with advanced features that can go over 60 km an hour!
It's just 37 mph, and just 11-12 mph faster than using my legs on my hybrid...of course for a short time
Most countries set the top speed limits for electric bicycles, which is anywhere between 25-30 kmh. Anything above that may require licence, and will be called electric bike.
Not all countries see the need to set specific laws for such a high tech machines, while other basic needs can't be fulfilled. Iraq is one of these countries. Whatever works is good.
Old 01-31-15, 05:44 PM
mcmoose

Well, if he's talking about electric bikes, it's still impressive. And if he's not... that's REALLY impressive (given the current UCI hour record is about 58 km).
Old 02-01-15, 08:29 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
What the heck? I can hit 37MPH going down a big hill!
Old 02-01-15, 10:24 AM
lopek77
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wanderer
What the heck? I can hit 37MPH going down a big hill!
That's right...and there are some who went way faster by accident
I was riding my loaded touring bike from SE Michigan to NW Michigan. North Michigan is beautiful, but very hilly. I know this route very well, yet I lost control over my bike on the last downhill. Rim brakes didn't even slow it down a bit. Two cars coming from other direction just stopped on the side of the road to give me more room. The whole bike was flexing on every little bump...My GPS was showing 68 mph... Never again...
Here is the top of the "record" hill

And here is why I went there
Old 02-01-15, 12:06 PM
mcmoose

Well, if I drove a '67 VW off a cliff, I could get it going 180 MPH before it impacted the ground, but I don't think I could use that as it's advertised speed. But YMMV... and so may your speed.

What really matters is the OP has a bike to ride!
Old 02-01-15, 02:35 PM
Arman.Universe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday was my first time of riding a bike after 15 years(since i was 10), but i challenged my self and rode it 25 km , it was something like a test to see if I can ride it to university and come back home, it was crazy because in the first 5 kilometers of riding I was completely tired to death, but didn't give up and finished that 25 km in 3:40 hours . Today I have done the same thing again today, Now every part of my body hurts me.
Thanks for your advises dear Wanderer and dear mcmoose, I just didn't get what you mean by locking suspension, I know it is about suspension fork, but don't know how and why to lock it? Can you please provide a link(video or a step by step tutorial).
By the way, I learned how to adjust my brakes,because one of them was holding the disk and resisting tire from spin freely.
Dear
lopek77 what the article states is completely true about some of Iraqi cities, but unfortunately Anbar which the article talks about it is under control of ISIS by now, I think everything is different there now.
As I said shipping to Iraq costs a lot to Iraq, especially in heavy items, but somehow spent some spared bucks on this items today, I will receive them 2 weeks from now:
Helmet:Robot Check
Lights:
https://www.amazon.com/CatEye-Head-Li...s=cateye+light
Accessories pack:
Robot Check
And here is a pic from today, riding back to home and having a rest midway
Attached Images
IMG_20150201_142337573.jpg (96.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Arman.Universe; 02-01-15 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-01-15, 03:50 PM
mcmoose

Dear Arman,

If it's any comfort, the distances will get easier. Just don't over-do it. It's okay to have sore muscles, but don't injure anything.

I'm not even sure you bike has lock-out suspension; but in your last photo, it looks like it might (because of the twistable knob at the top of the fork). Now, either that is simply a bolt cover, or it's a knob to lock your suspension.

They make lock-out suspensions so that when you're riding on a fairly smooth road, you can lock the suspension. This allows a bit more of your pedal-power to be channeled to powering the bike. When the suspension is engaged, it tends to siphon off a bit of power (in exchange for your teeth not getting rattled out of your head).

If you got an owner's manual (yes, I know nobody reads them), it should describe the features on your bike, as well as give you guidance on its maintenance.

Have fun!
Old 02-02-15, 05:32 AM
Arman.Universe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again, i got it and will read more about it.
But today after checking the air pressure in the tires in a midway gas station, I was completely shocked, because it was 15 psi in both tires , I trusted the seller who checked them and filled them both in front of me when I was buying it, I don't know but i think that they have no idea about measurements and gauge , then I refilled them to 60~65 as it was stated on the tire and NOW it is far different from what it was before, Now it makes me less tired, I can ride upward in slopy roads. I don't believe that I rode 45 kilometers on that pressure.
Thanks again for all of you ...

Last edited by Arman.Universe; 02-02-15 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-02-15, 04:25 PM
limbot

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Cadent ERII 2, 2013 Trek DS 8.4, 2008 Norco Wolverine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Arman.Universe
Yesterday was my first time of riding a bike after 15 years(since i was 10), but i challenged my self and rode it 25 km , it was something like a test to see if I can ride it to university and come back home, it was crazy because in the first 5 kilometers of riding I was completely tired to death, but didn't give up and finished that 25 km in 3:40 hours .
You have done well doing 25km on your first ride I remember when I first got my bike 4 kms was a struggle. You'll be suprised how quickly you improve and you will get faster and fitter in no time Enjoy the ride !
Old 08-12-15, 07:37 AM
Arman.Universe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although it is a long time, but thanks, after six months, now I know that you were totally right
Old 08-12-15, 07:47 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
OP lives in a mountainous country so he basically had two choices: a 29er or a gravel road/adventure bike.

He chose well.

Cheap bikes are a waste of money b/c they're heavy, assembly is questionable and they come in only one size.

One pays more for a high quality bike but the satisfaction derived from owning a properly sized bike is something money can't buy.

And for people like OP, a bike is often the only practical means of transportation.
Old 08-12-15, 07:51 AM
Arman.Universe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is been a long time, about six months ago I came here for advice and bought a bike.
I was riding 20-30 Km most of the days during this six months and hopefully lost 20-23 Kg and enjoyed every second on my bike.
A week ago i sold my old bike which was completely useless and bought a new bike:
Fuji Nevada 1.9 D 2013 which cost me 515$
I am very happy about it, now i ride 30 km every morning before sunrise because of over 40 C hot weather it is impossible to ride in daytime ,here is a pic from today:
Attached Images
20150812_060755.jpg (97.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-12-15, 08:03 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Congratulations! Its a fair price and 29ers are relatively inexpensive these days.

Not every mountainous region has a subarctic climate. Usually mountains make for mild summers but not in every situation.

And I would not ride in hot weather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.