Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

In praise of Bob

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

In praise of Bob

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-24, 10:12 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 3,752 Times in 1,841 Posts
In praise of Bob

No, not that one . . .

This one

I had wanted to get one of these second-hand, but they have always been too pricey, or too far away. Found a good deal, nearby, picked it up yesterday.
The connection method seems smart and simple. You swap your QR for one with Bob's "bobbins" on the end and then hang the trailer fork ends on the "bobbins".

First attempt left me worried

Trailer fork was wider than rim? Looked it up and the bobbins are reversible allowing a variance in width. Flipped bobbins and it was very close, slight flex and they fit. Added the pins to secure.

Went to go out for an initial test run, as I have never ridden with a trailer. Passed the first test with flying colors. There is a gate out of the yard, with a ninety degree turn that can be annoying to go through, with just a bike. I passed through with the trailer on, as if it was not there. Passed 2nd test, I accidentally put it through. Had already attached the trailer not thinking about the 2 steps I needed to go down. Got to the stairs, lifted the bike down normally, and let the trailer wheel gently roll down the stairs, super easy.

Took a zip around the block, up some driveways, down some curb cuts, trailer tracked perfectly, couldn't really tell it was there. Went to a short dirt single-track to see how it fared. Right at the beginning there is narrow spot, with a rock, that I had previously hit a pedal on, when riding through too casually.

I rolled through slowly, no issues, had plenty of clearance
Old 03-31-24, 06:34 PM
milesfromhome

Bikes: 1988 Peugeot Jubilee (New to me!), Blix Vika+ (folding!), Cannondale Quick (so practical!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Left one of those behind in California when I moved years ago. Great little trailers for camping, groceries, anything but kids and dogs really.
Old 03-31-24, 10:57 PM
Leisesturm

Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
I bought one of those new in 2005. Stuff sack (amazing piece of kit) was stolen a couple year later. Replaced that for $60. We use it at least 1x/wk and often more grocery shopping with a tandem. Have exceeded the 70lb. GWR quite often. Apparently that is more for handling safety than the trailers construction. These things seem expensive, but as the years pile up and they don't show any wear/tear at all, the cost seems worth it.
Old 04-03-24, 07:44 PM
R578645
Bicyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice. I've saw a used rusted one with a non original wheel for 20 bucks. Wasn't worth the gas to go get it though.
Curious what the dimensions are of the steel mesh bottom? Just outside L x W. I'm still trying to make my DIY trailer.
Old 04-04-24, 10:34 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 3,752 Times in 1,841 Posts
Originally Posted by R578645
Nice. I've saw a used rusted one with a non original wheel for 20 bucks. Wasn't worth the gas to go get it though.
Curious what the dimensions are of the steel mesh bottom? Just outside L x W. I'm still trying to make my DIY trailer.
L-W-H = 64 x 41 x 46cm = 25.2" x 16.14" x 18.11" are specs online, for the trailer I have