Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Wow, so, padded cycling shorts.

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-09, 04:21 PM
stark23x
BikeNewbie

Bikes: 2009 Giant Defy 3, 1983 Trek 850, 2008 Schwinn Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yup. TOTALLY useful.

Today was my first time with a real pair of cycling shorts. 12.5 miles later my private areas felt like I normally do just, you know, regularly.

This bodes well for my attempt at the Summer Breeze Century Ride for Autism. No way can I do 100, but I'm gonna shoot for 50 with the option of trying for the metric. At least now I feel like I have the right fit on the bike, a decent pair of shorts that will give me more time...now I gotta work on getting the legs and back into gear for longer distances. 31 is my record so far....

Yeah, I know. Fascinating. I'm telling you all something you already know. Padding your bits means you can ride longer. For my next revelation, I will go into great and graphic detail about the moisture-distributing powers of water.

Just call me Cap'n Obvious.
Old 06-16-09, 04:38 PM
Bone Head

Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR Limited

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't forget the Chamois Creame ...
Old 06-17-09, 05:15 AM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We weren't lying or shilling for someone.
Old 06-17-09, 05:45 AM
passage4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a "cheap" pair of mtn bike (gel) shorts last year early on- they were pretty awful. actually not helpfull at all.
I then was "given" a pair for my birthday, a pair of nice (chamois) cannondale cyclying shorts (roughly 70 bucks). I rode 62 miles that first time wearing them, almost like superman and a cape? well not- but close....

Get some GOOD shorts and Butt-r or Chamois Cream, smooth riding is all I can say... Good gear make for good riding.
Old 06-17-09, 05:49 AM
scrapmetal

Bikes: 197x?? Raleigh rescued from scrap metal; Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I expect great things - when I finally invest in biking shorts. I did century in simple stretch pants. My dad says (he is a biking nut, with whole life of bike commuting) when your butt hurts from the bike, you are not pedaling hard enough - i.e. your weight is too much on the saddle.
Old 06-17-09, 07:08 AM
Alathea
Mr. Frowny Man

Bikes: 2009 Giant Yukon single speed;2014 Foam Green Surly CrossCheck

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So here is a 'manly' question. The padding in a pair of 'Luv2Pedal' baggy shorts-isn't supposed to act like chamois itself, its just supposed to pad the ride, right? I was riding home last night and after having to pull them up really far (I wear them at my natural waist, not my hipline) the padding kept shifting my 'ahem' around and I had to stop twice to figure it out. Im wondering if they don't run a little big? It was kind of uncomfortable...
Old 06-17-09, 07:12 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Baggies don't support the "ahem" properly. That's the main reason I wear the skin tight lycra. I can asure you it isn't because of vanity.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 06-17-09, 09:18 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
On any of my bikes, I can usually do up to 30 miles comfortably without padded shorts. I prefer them for anything aside from short little grocery rides or a quick trip into town. Even for my 15 mile (one-way) commute, I prefer my bibs over a pair of baggies.

For long rides, they're a necessity. No way I'm trying a 300k in a pair of loose fitting shorts!
Old 06-17-09, 09:51 AM
1bluetrek

Bikes: 2015 Giant Advanced Pro 2,Trek 1500, a GT Avalanche and a Mongoose IBOC Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ooohhh My stuff hurts just thinking about that!

Btw GK1 Mitch got a kick out of visiting with ya last night on fb

Last edited by 1bluetrek; 06-17-09 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-17-09, 09:53 AM
Sinister1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new to cycling but putting cream in and around your legs and genital area while riding? Wouldn't that be uncomfortable or feel weird (esp when you start sweating)?
Old 06-17-09, 09:58 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Sinister1
I'm new to cycling but putting cream in and around your legs and genital area while riding? Wouldn't that be uncomfortable or feel weird (esp when you start sweating)?
Nope, it's actually a barrier cream that reduces friction, and hence reduces irritation and chafing if you are going to spend a lot of hours in the saddle. We have riders in here that will occasionally ride 200 or more miles in a single day.

Udder Butter or Bag Balm also works, by the way, and is cheaper than Chamois Creams. You can also get them at drug stores and Walmart. You can also get it at a feed store in dairy country, as it's what they smear on a cows teats so the milking machine doesn't cause mastitis.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 06-17-09, 10:03 AM
Alathea
Mr. Frowny Man

Bikes: 2009 Giant Yukon single speed;2014 Foam Green Surly CrossCheck

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The falconis (love2Pedal) have a lycra inner with a coolmax/antibacterial pad, I just think I had them pulled up too tight or something. It doesn't happen all the time, but it definitely warrants attending too in the middle of riding home. Otherwise they are great and the company has 2 for 65.00 type specials on them all the time. Ive had mine for a year so far.
Old 06-17-09, 10:53 AM
Sinister1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Nope, it's actually a barrier cream that reduces friction, and hence reduces irritation and chafing if you are going to spend a lot of hours in the saddle. We have riders in here that will occasionally ride 200 or more miles in a single day.

Udder Butter or Bag Balm also works, by the way, and is cheaper than Chamois Creams. You can also get them at drug stores and Walmart. You can also get it at a feed store in dairy country, as it's what they smear on a cows teats so the milking machine doesn't cause mastitis.
Thanks Tom I will have to keep that in mind. Hopefully some day I can ride 200 miles in one day!