Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My new 2024 Domane SL 5 is .95# heavier than it should be.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My new 2024 Domane SL 5 is .95# heavier than it should be.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-24, 08:02 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
A lb seems like a lot, considering that not only is a 50cm frame smaller than the 56cm reference, but it also has 4cm narrower handlebars, 2cm shorter stem and a 4cm shorter seatpost. Interestingly though the 50cm comes with a wider saddle (155mm vs 145mm).

I know you have tubeless tires, but to confirm, the bike is setup tubeless and doesn't have tubes installed? Are there any tools included/not included in the in-frame compartment?
Yeah, that also immediately stood out for me. Then, thinking about the 'rider', it might be an adaption for the possible majority of audience for 50 & below - female?
Ride On
Yuri
Old 04-29-24, 08:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6302 Post(s)
Liked 4,899 Times in 3,374 Posts
The listed weight for the bike is without the pedals. And it's just a there about weight and not a precise weight.

Perhaps for bikes that come from the factory with pedals that are included in the specifications for the bike, then the weight might include them. But I've not seen spec's for a Domane that included pedals.
Old 04-29-24, 09:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4760 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
This is a joke right? A manufacturer builds bikes in a factory overseas and the weight is possibly slightly off but it wasn't measured by Trek for you and then the time it was measured was with un-measured pedals and tubeless tires that also probably has unmeasured sealant, valves and rim tape? Why do people buy these bikes then care about weight that may or may not be off.

If you care seriously about a lightweight bike, a bike listed at 19lbs would be heavy and you would build your own and make it light.
Think of it this way perhaps with a slightly different scenario.

A Domane SLR frameset only supposedly saves 1/2 lb over the OP's Domane SL frameset. The premium for the SLR frameset is $1700 over the cost of the SL. If he had instead purchased an SLR bike and it actually weighed 1/2lb over what an SL bike would have supposedly weighed, you might be a bit upset about not understanding what your $1700 actually bought you.
Old 04-29-24, 10:03 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 75 Posts
If you’re concerned, send an email to the Trek CEO. He is very responsive.
Old 04-29-24, 11:17 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4444 Post(s)
Liked 4,101 Times in 2,737 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
My take on the OP's question was his suprise, given the published approx weight by the Manufacturer, that a lb.+ is a significant deviation from what was published. Especially given his smaller sized frame/bike. All the components are a know quantity, quality frame should also not have much deviation, so a lb+ is a lot.

My post was mainly to 'confirm' that what he found was probably 'reality', not a major anomaly in just his bike.

In my case, I bought the bike fully knowing what I was getting, and not expecting more. Also fully expecting to be making some changes. Having ridden 'THIS' bike before committing to purchase.
Not unhappy with the bikes I currently ride a lot. If I can make this new bike feel as 'nice' as those - great! AND fully intending to make changes, upgrades if that fits, to see what might have a significant effect on 'ride', and see if 'weight' also is part of the story. It's an experiment...
If I can bring it to level of my current road bikes, which are all 10 yrs old or older, then Great ! If not, I'll sell it for whatever it might go for... No issues, no problem.
It's not the money, I have a bunch of fun learning what this experiment might teach me.
If I had spent 4 times what this bike cost me, I'd have very, very high expectations, and hopefully, mostly have them met... My expected changes will cost about half again of the bike cost, which would still be considered a bargain compared to the price of a similarly fitted 'Off the Shelf' bike cost.
I think most knowing riders also know that 'weight' isn;t everything, but it is a 'thing'.... So for a bike with $3400 MSRP, one might expect it to be in the 'light' road bike category... 21+ lbs is not that, compared to the similar bike, 19ish lb, of 8-10 yrs ago which prolly sold for $2K-$2.2K.
SO, with this thread a lot of questions get asked, some answers might be found, some not.
And, it also addresses expectations, so met, some not even close.
So, if one has expectations to be able to get a 'light bike from TREK (and other bike makes?), well under 20 lbs, it might not be met by even a $5k bike... ?
For some this might be an important consideration.
Ride On
Yuri
and , yes, I prefer my 2014 Tarmac well over any of my old gaspipe, and many of the 'great' newer bikes I've had some opportune miles to log a few miles on...
Not a plug for Spec or Tarmac, it's just a bike I like a lot. But had the experiment be able to be done with an ORBEA, WILLIER, CERVELO or RIDLEY, instead of a TREK, I would have quickly jumped on that.
Yes the components are a known quantity but they are also manufactured and there is plenty of variations in manufacturing plus adding in unweighed pedals and unweighed tubeless set up and not knowing how Trek weighed their bike. Frequently they will weigh a pre-production sample missing certain parts to help get the weight down or they will have to replace a part during the production that has a different weight from the single bike they weighed.

Think of it this way perhaps with a slightly different scenario.

A Domane SLR frameset only supposedly saves 1/2 lb over the OP's Domane SL frameset. The premium for the SLR frameset is $1700 over the cost of the SL. If he had instead purchased an SLR bike and it actually weighed 1/2lb over what an SL bike would have supposedly weighed, you might be a bit upset about not understanding what your $1700 actually bought you.
Sure that is fair but nothing is scientific enough here to really know if anything is correct. Obviously if you are spending money and it turns out significantly heavier and you paid more that is frustrating but we don't know the full situation on any side.
Old 04-29-24, 11:22 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked 3,501 Times in 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
Everyone knows Trek inflates the tires with helium before weighing for spec.
The tubeless weight without sealant (which is probably what they quoted) is likely to be 200 gm lighter, at least.

Also, as noted above, the bike probably came with tubes in it.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-29-24, 11:44 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2559 Post(s)
Liked 3,056 Times in 1,743 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
The tubeless weight without sealant (which is probably what they quoted) is likely to be 200 gm lighter, at least.

Also, as noted above, the bike probably came with tubes in it.
Just to emphasize the point: if present in the tires, the tubes alone account for most or all of the difference.

If shipping that and other high-end Trek models with tubes in the tires is standard policy, Trek could have saved themselves some future grief by specifying that the weights are fairly accurate for the bikes when they're run tubeless but that they're supplied with tubes in place, to avoid problems with, e.g., sealant pooling at the bottom of the tires while the bikes are in storage.
Old 04-29-24, 12:13 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked 591 Times in 444 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
This is a joke right? A manufacturer builds bikes in a factory overseas and the weight is possibly slightly off but it wasn't measured by Trek for you and then the time it was measured was with un-measured pedals and tubeless tires that also probably has unmeasured sealant, valves and rim tape? Why do people buy these bikes then care about weight that may or may not be off.

If you care seriously about a lightweight bike, a bike listed at 19lbs would be heavy and you would build your own and make it light.
That's my two cent. Lightweight and 19lbs don't go together. Trek and lightweight neither.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 04-29-24, 02:36 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

It is worth keeping this in perspective. A liter of water weighs about 2.2 lbs.

That is without bottles and cages.

I've never owned a bike lighter than 20 lbs.

I've never weighed less than 180 lbs in my adult life.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-29-24, 03:51 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 11,179 Times in 4,775 Posts

And I'll bet $10 that the OP doesn't race. Not that an extra pound would make a difference.

'Course, I get that he's upset that the promise is not reality. But that's usually how life works, right?
Old 04-29-24, 04:32 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2024 Trek Domane SL5, 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
I had to convert: 0.95lbs is 430 grams.

Maybe your pedals are heavier than you think? Did it have bottle cages attached? A computer mount? Maybe they added a lot of extra sealant? Difference in scale accuracy?

Could be many reasons, or simply Trek being optimistic in their advertised weight. Who knows.

Buy it. Ride it. Enjoy.
Nothing was added to the bike but the pedals and tire sealant. But I will deduct 57 grams from the 430 for the empty tool bag that was in the down tube from the factory.
Old 04-29-24, 04:38 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2024 Trek Domane SL5, 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Originally Posted by 13ollocks
I'm betting it's a combination of the variation in frame/bike weight and the inaccuracy of the scale. The Park scale is a glorified fish scale - the fact that the readout is digital has nothing to do with the accuracy of the spring system that's registering the weight.
While I understand that the importance of bike weight is somewhat overblown, bikes have definitely become porky - we're looking at 20-21lb as nothing unusual for a CF frame with decent bits - yikes
Are you sure there is a spring in the park scale? Electronic load cells these days are cheap and accurate.
Likes For Tony_G:
Old 04-29-24, 04:39 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Iride01
The listed weight for the bike is without the pedals. And it's just a there about weight and not a precise weight.

Perhaps for bikes that come from the factory with pedals that are included in the specifications for the bike, then the weight might include them. But I've not seen spec's for a Domane that included pedals.
As noted in my OP, I deducted the weight of the pedals.
Old 04-29-24, 04:45 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by rsbob
Put two full large water bottles in the cages and all the weight issues will seem trivial.
You are too right about that! Plus a GoPro, “small” power bank for the GoPro, daytime running light, multi-tool, flat repair supplies, first aid, mace just in case ...
Likes For Tony_G:
Old 04-29-24, 04:46 PM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4522 Post(s)
Liked 5,022 Times in 3,102 Posts

Bodyweight also naturally varies by 2-4 lbs over the course of a day.
Old 04-29-24, 04:52 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by eduskator
A pound difference is enormous.

Weight will vary from a bike to another as a result of manufacturing discrepancies in framesets and parts/components, but 1 pound is a lot. I mean, people will pay 5000$ more for a bike just to shave 1 pound out of the total weight.

The advertised weight for most manufacturers is for 56cm framesets so you're right saying that your 50cm should weigh less. For instance, my 2024 SL8 Pro in size 58cm came up at 7.3kg on the LBS' park tool scale. Its advertised weight is 7.16kg (size 56cm). I don't mind the 140g difference given that it's a size bigger.

Are you 100% sure that your scale is accurate? Have you tested it with other items to which you know the exact weight?
It isn’t my scale. It is the bike shop’s scale. If it is reading heavy, I would think that it would be in their own interest to replace it.

I’m not pleased about the extra weight but I am not greatly worried about it either. That’s why I came here to ask the forum, is it typical or is it outside of the normal range?
Old 04-29-24, 04:59 PM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2559 Post(s)
Liked 3,056 Times in 1,743 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony_G
It isn’t my scale. It is the bike shop’s scale. If it is reading heavy, I would think that it would be in their own interest to replace it.

I’m not pleased about the extra weight but I am not greatly worried about it either. That’s why I came here to ask the forum, is it typical or is it outside of the normal range?
And---just reconfirming---there were no tubes in the tires when you weighed the bike?
Old 04-29-24, 05:01 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

My guess is the shop's scale is accurate.

At some point the marketing becomes misrepresentation.

At a more extreme point, it becomes a form of consumer fraud.

Giant seems to be a bit more cautious in this regard:

Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-29-24, 05:08 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

A lb seems like a lot, considering that not only is a 50cm frame smaller than the 56cm reference, but it also has 4cm narrower handlebars, 2cm shorter stem and a 4cm shorter seatpost. Interestingly though the 50cm comes with a wider saddle (155mm vs 145mm).

I know you have tubeless tires, but to confirm, the bike is setup tubeless and doesn't have tubes installed? Are there any tools included/not included in the in-frame compartment?
Yes it is set up tubeless, by the bike shop. The only thing on the bike was the pedals, which I deducted from the weight. However, there was the empty Bontrager tool bag in the down tube that I forgot about. I weighed it today on my kitchen scale and it accounts for 57 grams (0.125 of the excess .95 pounds).

About the wider saddle I did notice that. It might be that they sell more 50’s and smaller to women than men (as also noted in this thread by cyclezen).
Old 04-29-24, 05:08 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

For perspective, Trek charges about $2k for every 1lb reduction you want off of their frame weights
Old 04-29-24, 05:12 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7674 Post(s)
Liked 3,550 Times in 1,867 Posts
I have no idea whether most bikes weigh near, more, or less than listed weights. No one really does, because none of us weight a dozen or two bikes in each frame size to know.
Old 04-29-24, 05:30 PM
PeteHski

For perspective, Trek charges about $2k for every 1lb reduction you want off of their frame weights
The weight saving aspect of this cost is poor value, but you generally get a higher quality build ie higher level groupset, nicer wheels etc. it’s not only about the weight.
Old 04-29-24, 06:06 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by PeteHski
The weight saving aspect of this cost is poor value, but you generally get a higher quality build ie higher level groupset, nicer wheels etc. it’s not only about the weight.
I wasn't even considering the groupset and components; only looking at their frameset pricing.
Old 04-29-24, 06:44 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,071 Times in 1,960 Posts
waxed chain or caked with teh greaseys? Grease can get heavy.
Old 04-29-24, 07:04 PM
PeteHski

I wasn't even considering the groupset and components; only looking at their frameset pricing.
Which framesets are you comparing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.