Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

DEORE XT Brake Lever BL-M8000 broken

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-24, 10:37 AM
westfielder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear all,

Going around in circles here searching for an answer. I am new to the world of quality bikes and disk brakes and certainly hydraulic ones! My son's 'expert' mate tried to tighten the brake lever mechanism on the handle bars resulting in snapping the metal of the clamp so it needs replacing. I can't seem to find a BL8000 any more.
Will a BL-8100 be interchangeable with hoses etc? There's only the brake lever on that side (left) so no gear lever to be mounted to it.. Any other suggestions welcome (including recommendations of where to buy at lower cost, time is not tight).

I understand that the brakes should only be tightened enough to stop them moving on the bar but move in a crash so stop them being broken.

Many thanks in advance

Nick
:-)
Old 04-10-24, 12:22 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 1,213 Times in 700 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums.

I don't understand how you can't find a BL-M8000 <<Clickable Link

What am I missing ?

Barry
Old 04-10-24, 03:25 PM
westfielder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Barry, I did lots of similar Google searches that link to stores selling it but they're all out of stock, hence the question😃
Old 04-10-24, 03:46 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Jensen is a very reputable seller. Amazon is good and has cheap shipping with Prime.

Barry
Old 04-10-24, 05:25 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by westfielder
I understand that the brakes should only be tightened enough to stop them moving on the bar but move in a crash so stop them being broken.
Use a torque wrench to avoid dangerous or costly mistakes - Shimano states 4-6 Nm for that bolt.
Old 04-10-24, 05:42 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 277 Posts
I admit it takes experience to get a feel for proper torque, I'm rather good for anything automotive and can get it within 10% by feel, but for bikes I learned by using a small torque wrench for everything under 10Nm until I got the hang of it.

The whole point of a torque wrench isn't to get it right on the nose, it's so you don't go beyond 200% of specs which is where things get critical.

When something calls for 5Nm and you give it 8Nm, that'll be fine. But not 10-15Nm which that fastener might actually still hold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TW-1.2_001.jpg (113.0 KB, 57 views)
Old 04-11-24, 02:08 AM
westfielder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks both on the torque wrench thoughts - like you, I'm happy stripping an engine and these small torques are a bit foreign to me so will get one of those

Barry, thanks for suggestions - I had found Jenson in the USA but they won't ship that part to the UK. Couldn't find a Jensen or Jenson based in the UK.
The only one on Amazon has a delivery estimate of June-Oct!

I think I am back to my original posted question - can I swap in a BL-M8100?

Thanks
Old 04-11-24, 07:53 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Originally Posted by westfielder
Thanks Barry, I did lots of similar Google searches that link to stores selling it but they're all out of stock, hence the question😃

They are not out-of-stock, they are all out-of-country.
Even my LBS, 12mins away has one in stock.

You might have mentioned you are in the UK when I asked “what am I missing”.

Shimano has compatibility lists, go look up your caliper.

Barry
Old 04-11-24, 08:45 AM
westfielder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2

You might have mentioned you are in the UK when I asked “what am I missing”.

Barry
Good point, lesson learned :-)
Old 04-11-24, 08:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,051 Times in 2,702 Posts
Yes the 8100 will work fine. Use torque wrenches and never let some random "mate" touch the bike take it to a professional. A lot of brake levers especially mountain biking might be set up looser than you might normally consider and that is to help prevent damage in the crash. Tight enough not move under normal usage but if things get rough they can get out of the way.

If you or someone you know is not confident in something don't do it, ask for help first either to actually help you do it or to do it for you. Saying "I got this" when you don't can be quite dangerous and I understand this situation was not your doing but is very common especially with younger folks who want to be mechanics and sometimes even older seasoned mechanics. They want to know everything but don't realize they can't know everything and don't know their limits. It is frustrating especially with the older techs who are like I know and they don't. I am fortunate enough to have some oddly specialized knowledge but also know my limits and know if I am unsure stop and ask for help or if I am not 100% sure just get a second opinion or I just haven't done it in a while, same. Watch a video from Park Tool or pull out my old copy of Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance or similar type of deal.

My MTB is running two different XT 4 pots because one needed to be warrantied but so far I haven't noticed. This is slightly opposite from you were I have two different calipers rather than levers but I cannot imagine a difference or enough of one to really worry.
Old 04-11-24, 09:05 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 730 Posts
https://www.bike24.com/search-result...hTerm=BL-M8000, starbike might have them as well.

I also like to set my MTB levers just the tiniest bit loose, so they don't freely move but if you give them a hard shove they've rotate a touch. Just enough so that when you get up from a crash the lever is slightly rotated and not bent or broken and can be shoved back into the proper position. Road bikes I lean on the levers just like everyone else so proper torque all the way, but as long as MTB levers don't move under normal use they're tight enough imo.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 04-12-24, 09:02 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 1,883 Posts
Exploded view and compatibility chart - https://dassets.shimano.com/content/...8000-3853C.pdf

Old 04-12-24, 10:10 AM
westfielder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Phew, thank you all :-)

I was struggling to understand compatability documents too. Being new to this world of such bikes I'm sure with a lot of reading I would have worked it out - but for now just want to get my son's bike on the road. I will order a BL-M8100 (and appropriate torque wrench!). But will aim to tighten just enough to stop the clamp moving:-)
I will report how I get on :-)
Old 04-12-24, 11:10 AM
bboy314

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 411 Posts
I wouldn’t bother with the torque wrench, unless you want it for other components. Just tighten bit by bit, until you can’t rotate the lever with some force from your hand. There’s a pretty wide margin of error for this particular operation - your son’s mate must have really gone into gorilla mode.