Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My new 2024 Domane SL 5 is .95# heavier than it should be.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My new 2024 Domane SL 5 is .95# heavier than it should be.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-24, 08:05 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked 1,797 Times in 1,036 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
A lb seems like a lot, considering that not only is a 50cm frame smaller than the 56cm reference, but it also has 4cm narrower handlebars, 2cm shorter stem and a 4cm shorter seatpost. Interestingly though the 50cm comes with a wider saddle (155mm vs 145mm).

I know you have tubeless tires, but to confirm, the bike is setup tubeless and doesn't have tubes installed? Are there any tools included/not included in the in-frame compartment?
Yea I did not even think about the downtube pack, good call out. I am betting that was not in the frame when it was esti-weighed. I always look at the weights listed as an estimate anyway, too many variables involved.

Old 04-29-24, 09:27 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,217 Times in 773 Posts
Goodness gracious sakes alive! They publish "optimistic" weights!!! Unheard of!!!

Are there any bike or component companies that don't publish "optimistic" weights? The only companies that I've dealt with are those (very few) that actually weigh the stuff they ship. Most all of the bike parts (frames, forks, and every other part) I've bought in the past couple of decades (never weighed anything before that) has been a few grams heavy over advertised. It adds up. It would be impossible to predict the actual weight of a complete bike. Noone should ever think advertised weighs are accurate.

That's why among the weight weenies, there are extensive shared data on actual measured weights. It's a fun hobby - researching and looking for value in lightweight parts from front to back on a bike. I used to do it and enjoyed it. Now I've lost interst in it but don't rrot out the old chestnuts like "lose a pound of body weight" or "a pound is less than a full water bottle" or the most clever: "take a dump before the ride". Those people don't get it.

Last edited by Camilo; 04-29-24 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-29-24, 09:29 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2275 Post(s)
Liked 3,499 Times in 1,835 Posts
I wasn't even considering the groupset and components; only looking at their frameset pricing.
So the really expensive frames, like the Domane SLR, are composed of antimatter?
Old 04-29-24, 10:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11037 Post(s)
Liked 7,588 Times in 4,230 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony_G
It is still a nice bike, and I am looking forward to taking my first real ride on it tomorrow. But I also feel that I didn’t get everything that I paid for.
You clearly got everything you paid for...and more. That's the issue, you have more.

All seriousness, yeah I would be annoyed because with your bike's size, you would think it would be 1.25# less than the claimed weight.
But my annoyance would be pretty short lived.

It's a Domane- those things don't look light and aren't designed to be light. While that doesn't justify a bike being heavier, it definitely should provide some perspective since it isn't meant to be a light weight.
Personally- if weight were a motivating factor in which bike to purchase, I would look elsewhere and find one that weighs what it's claimed to weigh.
Of course if you weigh other bikes, you may find the Domane is in line with competition...and then what?
Old 04-30-24, 12:29 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1379 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 281 Posts
The bike weight was misrepresented by a big margin. Weight is the biggest determinant of bike speed/performance, and so I'd be upset about this too. When you've ridden a 16 pound road bike, any 20 pound bike is sluggish and boring.

But the elephant in the room is that this $3,000+ supposedly high performance bike from a leading manufacturer weighs 20 pounds. I have a line on a 10-year old local bike that is in excellent condition, and it weighs 3 pounds less and will cost me $300.

But then the older bike comes without the unnecessary ballast of disc brakes, the slow pokey wheels with farm tractor tires found on current endurance/gravel bikes, and (Thank God) full external cable routing so that routine yearly maintenance takes minutes, not hours.

The defeatists and apologists in the forum will squeal that weight doesn't matter and you should take a dump before your ride and fat heavy tires are actually faster blah blah blah, but if you want to travel long distances at high speed, or you want to hang with the fast boys, then weight really really matters. The industry will obviously try and convince you that weight doesn't matter, because heavy is cheap and easy to build.
Old 04-30-24, 03:53 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4505 Post(s)
Liked 4,994 Times in 3,087 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
The bike weight was misrepresented by a big margin. Weight is the biggest determinant of bike speed/performance, and so I'd be upset about this too. When you've ridden a 16 pound road bike, any 20 pound bike is sluggish and boring.

But the elephant in the room is that this $3,000+ supposedly high performance bike from a leading manufacturer weighs 20 pounds. I have a line on a 10-year old local bike that is in excellent condition, and it weighs 3 pounds less and will cost me $300.

But then the older bike comes without the unnecessary ballast of disc brakes, the slow pokey wheels with farm tractor tires found on current endurance/gravel bikes, and (Thank God) full external cable routing so that routine yearly maintenance takes minutes, not hours.

The defeatists and apologists in the forum will squeal that weight doesn't matter and you should take a dump before your ride and fat heavy tires are actually faster blah blah blah, but if you want to travel long distances at high speed, or you want to hang with the fast boys, then weight really really matters. The industry will obviously try and convince you that weight doesn't matter, because heavy is cheap and easy to build.
So I take it you have finished routing internal hoses/cables on those 50 dentist bikes you mentioned a few weeks ago?
Old 04-30-24, 04:20 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4760 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Which framesets are you comparing?
Domane SLR vs SL framesets: $1700 difference ($4200 vs $2500). 1620g vs 1824g. 204g (.45lbs) difference - extends to $3,778 per lb.
Old 04-30-24, 04:41 AM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2024 Trek Domane SL5, 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Goodness gracious sakes alive! They publish "optimistic" weights!!! Unheard of!!!

Are there any bike or component companies that don't publish "optimistic" weights?
Yes, there are many parts and accessories that the claimed weight is almost exact to the actual weight. Tires, pedals, and lights are three things that come to mind. I’ve bought many of them. The claimed weight is either dead on, or even a gram or two lighter.
Old 04-30-24, 04:54 AM
PeteHski

Domane SLR vs SL framesets: $1700 difference ($4200 vs $2500). 1620g vs 1824g. 204g (.45lbs) difference - extends to $3,778 per lb.
That makes more sense now. I was finding it hard to see an actual 1 lb difference in frame weight alone.
Old 04-30-24, 04:59 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4760 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,008 Posts
That makes more sense now. I was finding it hard to see an actual 1 lb difference in frame weight alone.
Fwiw, the Emonda SLR vs SL framesets have a 488g difference though.
Old 04-30-24, 05:05 AM
PeteHski

Yes, there are many parts and accessories that the claimed weight is almost exact to the actual weight. Tires, pedals, and lights are three things that come to mind. I’ve bought many of them. The claimed weight is either dead on, or even a gram or two lighter.
Same here. For example I weighed some DA pedals recently and they were as advertised. I’ve had tyres weigh above and below spec, so there is some variation there. The rolling resistance website publishes measured vs advertised weights for tyres and they are usually pretty close and not always overweight. Shimano component weights are usually very close to spec from what I’ve seen.
Old 04-30-24, 07:34 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 100 Posts
I just picked up my new Trek Domane SL 5. I had it weighted at the shop and with Race Face Chester pedals (360 grams per pair) already attached it was 21 pounds 7 ounces. This is with with tubeless tires. Deducting the pedals, it comes out to 20.64 pounds (sorry for mixing pounds and ounces, grams, and decimal pounds).

The Trek site says a size 56 cm 2024 SL 5 weighs 19.69 pounds (tubeless, no pedals). My frame size is 50 cm, so if anything I would expect it to be lighter. I know there is some variation with carbon frames, but is almost a whole pound out of the ordinary?

It is still a nice bike, and I am looking forward to taking my first real ride on it tomorrow. But I also feel that I didn’t get everything that I paid for.

as some other people have stated that's assuming that the pedals also weigh 360g, but either way I doubt the pedals are anything or than 50g over the manufacture stated weight.

Are you sure you got the new Gen 4? Because the weight you described is spot on for a last gen at 21.80 lbs
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 04-30-24, 07:54 AM
Jrasero

Fwiw, the Emonda SLR vs SL framesets have a 488g difference though.
BTW the standard Emonda frameset is a joke. The SL Disc frame weighs 1245g while their Emonda ALR DIsc 1257g especially considering these are climbing frames. The SLR while light is still 760g and is a $4200 frame while in contrast an Aethos Fact 10r is $3000 and 699g

Point being all of Trek's bikes are pretty beefy. The Domane has always been a pig weight wise and the Madone while lighter than previous gens still is one of the heavier Aero bikes
Old 04-30-24, 08:02 AM
Jrasero

Without a doubt a bad value but Trek is not known for their weights. IMO if OP cared about weight they should have gotten a Specialized and I am not even talking about a SWORKS since the Trek Domane SL 5 Gen 4 is a $3500 bike and weighs 19.69lbs that is the same price as a Crux Comp at 18.73lbs, a $3500 Roubaix SL 8 18.95lbs, or an Aethos Comp 105 Di2 for $4K but would have weighed 17.16lbs
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 04-30-24, 08:48 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Jrasero
BTW the standard Emonda frameset is a joke. The SL Disc frame weighs 1245g while their Emonda ALR DIsc 1257g especially considering these are climbing frames. The SLR while light is still 760g and is a $4200 frame while in contrast an Aethos Fact 10r is $3000 and 699g

Point being all of Trek's bikes are pretty beefy. The Domane has always been a pig weight wise and the Madone while lighter than previous gens still is one of the heavier Aero bikes
I agree that 488g is a lot of extra carbon. But it might not necessarily be a bad thing depending on how it is used on the SL. Maybe it's a better "beater" than the SLR, but I'm not claiming that. Just saying that weight is not the only parameter to compare frames.
Old 04-30-24, 08:57 AM
Jrasero

I agree that 488g is a lot of extra carbon. But it might not necessarily be a bad thing depending on how it is used on the SL. Maybe it's a better "beater" than the SLR, but I'm not claiming that. Just saying that weight is not the only parameter to compare frames.
485g just for a frame is a massive amount of weight especially since this is a lightweight climbing bike that doesn't prioritize aero. The fact that trek is marketing the SL line as a climbing bike should be fraud and yes weight is one of the main parameters to compare a climbing bike with another climbing bike lol. Trek IMO with all their road lineup is severely bloated in weight and that's even with their new Domane and Madone which to your point maybe weight shouldn't matter, but for the Emonda yeah 485g difference is insane or the fact that a SLR frame still costs $4K when you can get a handful of cheaper frames that are under 800g
Old 04-30-24, 09:20 AM
PeteHski

485g just for a frame is a massive amount of weight especially since this is a lightweight climbing bike that doesn't prioritize aero. The fact that trek is marketing the SL line as a climbing bike should be fraud and yes weight is one of the main parameters to compare a climbing bike with another climbing bike lol. Trek IMO with all their road lineup is severely bloated in weight and that's even with their new Domane and Madone which to your point maybe weight shouldn't matter, but for the Emonda yeah 485g difference is insane or the fact that a SLR frame still costs $4K when you can get a handful of cheaper frames that are under 800g
I agree, it wouldn’t be my choice for a “climbing” bike. I’m surprised the SL is that much heavier.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-30-24, 10:23 AM
13ollocks

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 115 Posts
Are you sure there is a spring in the park scale? Electronic load cells these days are cheap and accurate.
Fair point - I don't know what goes on inside that scale - cold be a spring of some sort of strain gauge
Old 04-30-24, 11:21 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4539 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 1,098 Posts
This 50cm bike weighs under 20 with Look delta pedals:
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-30-24, 12:10 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 444 Posts

Yup. Trek and lightweight don't go well together. That hideous and gigantic TREK logo makes the experience even worst.
Old 05-01-24, 11:08 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 673 Times in 455 Posts
Without a doubt a bad value but Trek is not known for their weights. IMO if OP cared about weight they should have gotten a Specialized and I am not even talking about a SWORKS since the Trek Domane SL 5 Gen 4 is a $3500 bike and weighs 19.69lbs that is the same price as a Crux Comp at 18.73lbs, a $3500 Roubaix SL 8 18.95lbs, or an Aethos Comp 105 Di2 for $4K but would have weighed 17.16lbs
Originally Posted by eduskator
Yup. Trek and lightweight don't go well together. That hideous and gigantic TREK logo makes the experience even worst.
Agree with 'Porky' and to some extent 'somewhat LOGO BLOAT'... Logos, can be and are 'design elements', but BLOAT is disconcerting and ugly - as with my 2009 Tarmac (which I dearly love... best bike ever...) which has logos on EVERY TUBE !!! one suffers ... and 'imperfect is the state of our universe - and glad for it !!! 'Wonderful' is much more important.

Weight... did some homework... because I have the option to 'return' Emonda SL5 within 30 days, full refund - Bought at our local TREK (overdone, blocky logo of no real design merit ) store.
Actual bike weight with older Ultegra SPD-SL pedals - 21.4 lbs , 9.72 Kg
so ACTUAL stock Emonda Wheel weight - both wheels, with tires, stock rotors and 11-30 105 Cassette. = 8 lbs 3.7 Kg !!!
IF I were to go with a CF wheelset of, say, 1450 g, add some good. light tires, use TPU tubes, nice rotors and the current cassette, that comes to 5.8 lbs, 2.65 Kg
so a savings of 2.2. lbs, 1 Kg
so bike weight of 19.2 lbs. , 8.7+ Kg
Pedals I have on bike, some older, heavier Ultegra SPD-SL. If I change to the Eggbeaters I mostly use - that's -100 g
so now 18.9+, 8.6 K,
Further savings could be had with a much lighter saddle - seat mast is alloy, could go to TREK CF mast = $$... CF Bar/Stem
Given this version of Hydraulic Disc is prolly 500 g additional weight over a good Rim brake system... we're still talking 8.1 ish Kg... over what was a decent rim brake weight ... in 2009...
...looking for a 17+ ish lb , 7.8 Kg Disc Bike is prolly in the $5000 - $6000 + price level....
I'm on the fence about returning and looking elsewhere...
I do like the 'fit' of the bike - so the Q is : Will the Better wheels transform the nag into a race horse ???
I have had that happen before...
Thoughts ?
Yuri
Ride On

Last edited by cyclezen; 05-01-24 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-01-24, 02:44 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 133 Posts
Maybe Trek weighed the bike without Di2 battery or cables.

I've heard of brands weighing their bikes without paint, which is definitely disingenuous.

They could even soak all of the parts in degreaser before assembly - lubricants weigh something, as well. I've heard of car manufacturers doing something like this - listing a car's weight while 'dry,' ie, no motor oil or fluids of any kind.
Old 05-01-24, 04:35 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2024 Trek Domane SL5, 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
as some other people have stated that's assuming that the pedals also weigh 360g, but either way I doubt the pedals are anything or than 50g over the manufacture stated weight.<br /><br />Are you sure you got the new Gen 4? Because the weight you described is spot on for a last gen at 21.80 lbs
It has 12 speeds, and the color is Plasma Grey Pearl. Those are both 2024 features. And the Iso Speed is version 4.0.
Edit to add: I don't think they still sell the Gen 3 SL 5.

Last edited by Tony_G; 05-01-24 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Add info about Gen 3
Old 05-01-24, 05:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3733 Post(s)
Liked 5,600 Times in 2,835 Posts
So will OP keep it or ask for a refund?
Old 05-02-24, 08:41 AM
Jrasero

Originally Posted by cyclezen
Agree with 'Porky' and to some extent 'somewhat LOGO BLOAT'... Logos, can be and are 'design elements', but BLOAT is disconcerting and ugly - as with my 2009 Tarmac (which I dearly love... best bike ever...) which has logos on EVERY TUBE !!! one suffers ... and 'imperfect is the state of our universe - and glad for it !!! 'Wonderful' is much more important.

Weight... did some homework... because I have the option to 'return' Emonda SL5 within 30 days, full refund - Bought at our local TREK (overdone, blocky logo of no real design merit ) store.
Actual bike weight with older Ultegra SPD-SL pedals - 21.4 lbs , 9.72 Kg
so ACTUAL stock Emonda Wheel weight - both wheels, with tires, stock rotors and 11-30 105 Cassette. = 8 lbs 3.7 Kg !!!
IF I were to go with a CF wheelset of, say, 1450 g, add some good. light tires, use TPU tubes, nice rotors and the current cassette, that comes to 5.8 lbs, 2.65 Kg
so a savings of 2.2. lbs, 1 Kg
so bike weight of 19.2 lbs. , 8.7+ Kg
Pedals I have on bike, some older, heavier Ultegra SPD-SL. If I change to the Eggbeaters I mostly use - that's -100 g
so now 18.9+, 8.6 K,
Further savings could be had with a much lighter saddle - seat mast is alloy, could go to TREK CF mast = $$... CF Bar/Stem
Given this version of Hydraulic Disc is prolly 500 g additional weight over a good Rim brake system... we're still talking 8.1 ish Kg... over what was a decent rim brake weight ... in 2009...
...looking for a 17+ ish lb , 7.8 Kg Disc Bike is prolly in the $5000 - $6000 + price level....
I'm on the fence about returning and looking elsewhere...
I do like the 'fit' of the bike - so the Q is : Will the Better wheels transform the nag into a race horse ???
I have had that happen before...
Thoughts ?
Yuri
Ride On
The Emonda is a good bike don't get me wrong I just think for it's purpose it's way behind the times since it's not that aero to be considered an all arounder and not nearly as light as its competitors. Granted if the price and fit is for you than the Emonda can be a great bike and while yeah you can upgrade the wheelset and go with TPU tubes, you could have done that with any other bike like with a Canyon Ultimate or Specialized Aethos or whatever. Also I would argue to upgrade the wheelset, tubes, and tires you are looking at bare min $1K and at that point at $4500 you easily can find an entry level carbon fiber race bike with carbon wheels. I know these are hookless wheels which I am not a fan of but for $4700 a last gen Giant TCR Advanced Pro O AR with Force AXS D1 and a power meter is a great deal. I think the only true downside to this bike is the hookless wheels but even then if I were in your shoes I'd still buy it and just try and sell the wheels and just get some 9Velos or EliteWheels Drives

I just think even with the upgrades 19lbs for a entry level climbing bike even with pedals that's really heavy for a "lightweight" or "climbing" bike. Now if weight doesn't matter to you than yeah again the Emonda is a good bike but at $3500 I'd rather spend $500 more and get a Ultimate CF SL 7 Di2 18lbs or an Aethos Comp Di2 17lbs at $4000

Last edited by Jrasero; 05-02-24 at 08:51 AM.
Likes For Jrasero:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.