Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removal suggestions for mangled barrel adjuster?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-23, 01:57 PM
univega.duder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts

I managed to fully mangle the barrel adjuster on my brake lever :-/ I was trying to loosen it and I not so smartly used a pair of pliers with excessive force promptly sheared off the adjuster. Oops!

Does anyone have suggesting for how I might get the remaining piece out in order to replace it? Or alternatively suggestions for affordable replacement levers? The metal seems strangely soft and my attempts with pliers seem only to further mangle. I'd be grateful for any tips. Thank you!

Likes For univega.duder:
Old 04-15-23, 02:18 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
The reason that had you resort to pliers nay make removal now impossible.

I'd start by removing from the bike and scrubbing with water, dish detergent and a toothbrush, especially at the slot.

Then dry in a toaster oven at 180 or so g or an hour or so. Finally use penetrating oil.

Try to gently turn it with a Torx key tapped in so it cuts the shape and can drive it. There's a good chance that you'll need to drill it out, then re-tap to clean out the thread.

Overall, if cleaning and penetrating oil doesn't work, the alternatives may be costly enough to suggest shopping for new levers.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-15-23, 02:52 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
it looks like the threads in the Lever are also somewhat mangled... any attempt to drill the remainder of the adjuster out will not go well since the adjuster is slotted and the drill will not remain centered... there's a small chance that a REVERSE drill bit will grab the adjuster and UNSCREW IT.. i love it when that works... it rarely works.

ity looks like a small diameter adjuster... the thread size is usually 7x1mm, if i recall... Tap Drill Size is 15/64.. i'd not try the Max TDS and go with a 7/32" drill, or even a 3/16" drill bit if you choose to attempt the nearly impossible and drill a centered hole through a slotted aluminum part.... If you get lucky and maintain center, then work up to the maximum TDS. Using a Drill Press after removing the Lever assy from the bike is highly recommended.

Pick all the debris out of the slot, use some penetrating oil, then try using a small flat blade screwdriver to remove it.. The problem is that this will also force the thing to spread some and the threads will stick even more. How mangled is the back side?

I'd advise that you hit up your local Co-op for a decent replacement lever.

Last edited by maddog34; 04-15-23 at 03:33 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 04-15-23, 03:52 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
I'd look into penetrating oil and an EZ-Out. There's already a nice hole in the piece that needs to unscrew.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 04-15-23, 04:17 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
+1 for the EZ-out.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-15-23, 04:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
Honestly I think you might just be better off getting some new levers, the hassle of trying to remove that and then clean it up and find new parts will cost way more time and energy and potentially money then it is worth.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-15-23, 04:53 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
Looks like it took a tumble, may have crushed the lever down onto the adjuster. Replace.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 04-15-23, 04:56 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 386 Posts
Douse with oil, try to wedge a small flathead screwdriver in the remaining adjuster bit, and pry open the lever body a bit with a larger screwdriver while turning the adjuster bit out.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 04-15-23, 05:24 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Any chance you can get at the back (undamaged) side with a small slotted screwdrver?

Make yourself a point on your small slotted screwdriver
Open your lever as shown
GENTLY find the cable slot on the back side of the adjuster and turn out.

Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 04-15-23, 05:28 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
Douse with oil, try to wedge a small flathead screwdriver in the remaining adjuster bit, and pry open the lever body a bit with a larger screwdriver while turning the adjuster bit out.
This! pry the lever body open a bit and then turn the adjuster out ward from the inside of the lever. It is easier that way and does less damage. A wire brush bit will clean the threaded part of the lever and all you will need to do is find a new adjuster at your co-op. Smiles, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 04-16-23 at 08:16 PM.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 04-15-23, 05:31 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
That's what I'd do.

Easy out in the adjuster. It should already have a hole. And gently pry the slot open. Not enough to permanently deform it, but just enough to relieve some of the pressure on the threads. Try not to damage the threads in the process.

A little penetrating oil wouldn't hurt.
Old 04-15-23, 05:34 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
If jamming something into it like the tang of a small file doesn't get it to turn, use the cable slot to cut all the way through it from the side with a loose hacksaw blade. Take is easy on the far side, but you will cut a little bit into the threads. That won't matter. Give the part sticking out a little squeeze and try the screwdriver to turn it out.

Loosey lefty.

If you can't get it out in 20 minutes, spend $20 on some used levers.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-15-23, 05:57 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
It may be that you'll get better access to the inside of the brake lever if you remove it from the bars. Or push it forward to the curved part of the bars.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 04-15-23, 08:35 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
+1 for gaining access from the inside if possible and screwing it outward. Can you temporarily remove the lever?
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 04-16-23, 10:21 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
+1 for gaining access from the inside if possible and screwing it outward. Can you temporarily remove the lever?
+1 If you decide to drill it out, drilling from the lever side will work with a regular right-hand drill bit. Start with a smallish bit and gradually go bigger; it will likely unscrew by itself as you progress.
If, as suggested, the hole ID has been crushed undersize in a spill, you may need to rethread it to get a new adjuster to thread in.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 04-17-23, 06:56 PM
univega.duder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
it looks like the threads in the Lever are also somewhat mangled... any attempt to drill the remainder of the adjuster out will not go well since the adjuster is slotted and the drill will not remain centered... there's a small chance that a REVERSE drill bit will grab the adjuster and UNSCREW IT.. i love it when that works... it rarely works.
Ha - this made me laugh. "Rarely works" has also been my experience with reverse drill bits but I decide to try anyway. I used some penetrating oil along with the ez-out. I also pried the cable slot with a flat head screwdriver as some had suggested. I futzed for about 20 minute before mangling the whole thing to oblivion. I will now be hunting for replacement brake levers. Hopefully I can find something at the co-op.

Thank you all for the many thoughtful and creative suggestions. I really appreciate the bike-forum members sharing of experience and expertise. Hoping it some of it will rub off on me!

Likes For univega.duder:
Old 04-17-23, 07:36 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by univega.duder
Ha - this made me laugh. "Rarely works" has also been my experience with reverse drill bits but I decide to try anyway. I used some penetrating oil along with the ez-out. I also pried the cable slot with a flat head screwdriver as some had suggested. I futzed for about 20 minute before mangling the whole thing to oblivion. I will now be hunting for replacement brake levers. Hopefully I can find something at the co-op.

Thank you all for the many thoughtful and creative suggestions. I really appreciate the bike-forum members sharing of experience and expertise. Hoping it some of it will rub off on me!

sorry the lever got shredded... you might want to take the lever with you so that the shop folks can match up the pull ratio AND see the carnage... most mechanics love to see carnage. And i REALLY hope you can get those cork grips off without damaging them....... maybe it's time for new ones anyway, eh? Hand Grips 101, Module 3, Removal. "if they're glued, they're screwed"

Tip: If removing rubbery grips, slip an old dull long blade screwdriver in from the brake side(move the brake perch inward to make room)..... then squirt a bit of CRC Lectra-motive in.. Quickly Remove the Screwdriver and twist the grip loose... To re-install, Clean the bar with a bit of CRC Lectra-motive and a paper towel to remove any oils and gunk.. squirt a bit into the grip, roll it around to distribute, then slide the grip on.. let set for an hour or so. Always Wear Safety Glasses/Goggles when using nasty chemicals. Too much CRC Lectra on the outside of the grip will dissolve some of the rubbery stuff and leave a mess... I towel it off quickly if it gets on the outside.

Last edited by maddog34; 04-17-23 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-18-23, 06:24 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts

Bummer!
If the co-op doesn't pan out, I'm sure that if you post in the ISO thread someone will pop up with a pair of something.
Old 04-18-23, 06:43 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts

Forget guns, we need red flag laws for tools! Maybe novelist or fortune teller or something less manual like that is more up your alley...