Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-23, 05:32 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
It should be noted that few, if any doctors or brain surgeons have any special knowledge or expertise on the actual real world effectiveness of bicycle helmets in reducing TBI or other serious head injuries for the population of bicyclists involved in accidents or collisions.
It should be noted that few, if any random people on a bike forum on the internet have any special knowledge or expertise on the actual real world effectiveness of bicycle helmets in reducing TBI or other serious head injuries for the population of bicyclists involved in accidents or collisions.
Old 06-04-23, 08:03 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by retswerb
It should be noted that few, if any random people on a bike forum on the internet have any special knowledge or expertise on the actual real world effectiveness of bicycle helmets in reducing TBI or other serious head injuries for the population of bicyclists involved in accidents or collisions.
Quite true, hence umpteen posts from umpteen posters, and articles from equally uninformed randos about how they are sure helmets either saved their lives or somebody else from crippling head injuries that they read about somewhere on the Internet.
Old 06-04-23, 08:37 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,087 Times in 3,826 Posts
Quite true, hence umpteen posts from umpteen posters, and articles from equally uninformed randos about how they are sure helmets either saved their lives or somebody else from crippling head injuries that they read about somewhere on the Internet.
Me being able to walk/ride away, with a crushed helmet, but nothing more than a mild, short-term headache is plenty enough to convince me that things would have been much worse without a helmet.

My father spending multiple weeks in the hospital recovering from a head injury after being hit by a car is plenty enough to convince me that his helmet likely saved his life. His doctor said the same thing.

I’m not an expert on TBI, but some stuff is pretty obvious.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 06-04-23, 08:41 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Yesterday my (20 yo) kid was mountain biking with his friend, who crashed and was knocked out, stone cold. He had a full-face Giro Switchblade. The helmet was severely impacted and the jaw guard cracked. Despite a concussion, he got a clear CAT scan, and only spent about 7 or 8 hours in the ER, but I am fairly confident things would have been a whole lot worse had he had an inferior helmet, or even a good road helmet, let alone no helmet.

So add me to the uninformed random umpteen posters.

Unless one is willing to do the obvious experimental controls, I don't see how making such an observation is at all unreasonable.

Frankly, I don't understand why this assertion is at all controversial, and if for some reason it is wrong, so what? It is far better than being under-protected and being wrong.

He didn't have knee guards, and they spent several hours cleaning those wounds. It is possible if he had knee guards, it wouldn't have made a difference, but I think there is a reasonable chance it would have.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-04-23, 09:44 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Sure, and umpteen posts from umpteen posters about how they are sure helmets are somehow not worthwhile. I'll stick with the doctors, brain surgeons, and everyone else who can see that getting hit hard on the head is less bad with a helmet.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 06-05-23, 05:17 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Sure, and umpteen posts from umpteen posters about how they are sure helmets are somehow not worthwhile. I'll stick with the doctors, brain surgeons, and everyone else who can see that getting hit hard on the head is less bad with a helmet.
That is your prerogative; just as many others use "common sense" (as well as fire and brimstone proselytizing) to reinforce their belief in the effectiveness of medallions around their neck, tracts in their pocket or plastic totems on the dashboard to protect them from harm. Plenty of confirming anecdotes to be found on the Internet is proof enough, eh?

True Faith; even if it doesn't deliver the assumed protection, believing in it can't hurt, can it?

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 06-05-23 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-05-23, 06:22 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
That is your prerogative; just as many others use "common sense" (as well as fire and brimstone proselytizing) to reinforce their belief in the effectiveness of medallions around their neck, tracts in their pocket or plastic totems on the dashboard to protect them from harm. Plenty of confirming anecdotes to be found on the Internet is proof enough, eh?

True Faith; even if it doesn't deliver the assumed protection, believing in it can't hurt, can it?
Which categories of helmets are superfluous in other settings? Baseball? Football? Equestrian? Construction? Military? Or is it only cycling helmets that are unnecessary?
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-05-23, 08:45 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Which categories of helmets are superfluous in other settings? Baseball? Football? Equestrian? Construction? Military? Or is it only cycling helmets that are unnecessary?
Oh but bicycle helmets are "necessary", if the wearer believes that he/she is not safe riding without it; or alleged experts using appeals to authority fallacy have persuaded the rule makers to mandate that wear.

As far as other helmets in use in other activities, you tell me. The issue is bicycle helmet real world effectiveness in protecting the wearers and reducing the risk of TBI and other serious head injury, as well as relying on conclusions about that risk reduction based on the promoter's claims, alleged experts' false appeals to authority, and/or "common sense."

An anecdote about bicycle helmet effectiveness in reducing bicycling risk is just that and no more, whether it is a BF poster's claim about the necessity for helmet wear based on a belief about how the helmet saved him or someone they know, or a belief in helmet effectiveness in reducing bicycling risk drawn from a doctor's "analysis" based at best on a glance at a helmet(s) in an ER.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 06-05-23, 09:52 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

...getting hit hard on the head is less bad with a helmet.
This ^^^ is really not a difficult concept to understand.
Old 06-06-23, 01:19 PM
ElevatedEdge

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek Multitrack 720 (rebuild), Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I wear a helmet because I want to, not because someone tells me to. Personal choice, but is the potential risk worth the "reward"?
Old 06-17-23, 03:16 PM
billew
meandering nomad

Bikes: eleven bikes no car

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Yesterday my (20 yo) kid was mountain biking with his friend, who crashed and was knocked out, stone cold. He had a full-face Giro Switchblade. The helmet was severely impacted and the jaw guard cracked. Despite a concussion, he got a clear CAT scan, and only spent about 7 or 8 hours in the ER, but I am fairly confident things would have been a whole lot worse had he had an inferior helmet, or even a good road helmet, let alone no helmet.

So add me to the uninformed random umpteen posters.

Unless one is willing to do the obvious experimental controls, I don't see how making such an observation is at all unreasonable.

Frankly, I don't understand why this assertion is at all controversial, and if for some reason it is wrong, so what? It is far better than being under-protected and being wrong.

He didn't have knee guards, and they spent several hours cleaning those wounds. It is possible if he had knee guards, it wouldn't have made a difference, but I think there is a reasonable chance it would have.
A. the helmet failed. B. the kid still got a TBI.
Old 06-17-23, 04:04 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
I think the term would be sacrificial.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 06-17-23, 06:18 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Originally Posted by billew
A. That's not a failure, that's a helmet doing exactly what it's supposed to do by absorbing the impact rather than passing it along.

B. Getting a TBI is a lot better than being dead. Once again:
getting hit hard on the head is less bad with a helmet.
Old 06-17-23, 08:20 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

A. the helmet failed.​​​
Your evidence for that is what?

​​​​ B. the kid still got a TBI.
He did not. Don't make stuff up. It makes you look like a Fakebook goofball.
Old 06-21-23, 09:41 AM
billew
meandering nomad

Bikes: eleven bikes no car

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Your evidence for that is what?

A concussion is a TBI.A helmet fails if it cracks this failure is instantaneous, helmets are "tested" by dropping a weight onto the top which isn't where most helmets get hit but where the arch is strongest to skew the data . https://road.cc/content/news/only-1-...cussion-293659
Old 06-21-23, 10:12 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

A concussion is a TBI.
They are two separate things. In this case he had a CT scan to check.

It is possible to have a concussion without a TBI.

It is also possible to have a TBI without a concussion.

A helmet fails if it cracks this failure is instantaneous, helmets are "tested" by dropping a weight onto the top which isn't where most helmets get hit but where the arch is strongest to skew the data . https://road.cc/content/news/only-1-...cussion-293659
It does not follow that the helmet protection failed, any more than it follows that vaccination failed because I got a mild case of COVID.

In both cases, the success is preventing a more severe outcome.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 06-21-23 at 10:18 AM.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-21-23, 10:18 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

From the CDC..."A concussion is a type of traumatic brain injury—or TBI—caused by a bump, blow, or jolt to the head or by a hit to the body that causes the head and brain to move rapidly back and forth."

That said, there is little doubt that your son's friend would have suffered a significantly greater injury - possibly fatal - if it were not for the helmet absorbing much of the impact force. Sensible people understand that a broken/cracked/dented helmet resulting from an impact means the helmet did its job.
Old 06-21-23, 10:37 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 942 Posts
Bad logic.

Do you think using seat belts or airbags are useful? Note that they aren't perfect either.
Old 09-16-23, 03:26 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 2,539 Posts
Catlike whisper knockoff

Back in 2014, when I saw a TdF team rockin these cool helmets that were full of holes that looked like pods for hatching alien eggs, I looked it up, and it was the Catlike Whisper, MSRP like $150

But then I looked on fleabay and found "Bicycle Bike Cycling Safety Honeycomb Shape Adult Helmet 41 Holes BMX MTB Road":

At a sweet $19.99 (free delivery), that's my Jam!

In 2019 I got another one, and found it by searching fleabay for "helmet 41 holes"

It's been enough years again that the liner has gotten too grossly slimy, and I want to replace it, but I can't find it.

Anybody got a line one if anybody is selling these cheap knockoffs anymore?
Old 09-16-23, 05:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I wouldn't want a cheap knockoff protecting my brain but then again if your brain says "cheap knockoff good idea" maybe there is something missing.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-16-23, 07:27 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I wouldn't want a cheap knockoff protecting my brain but then again if your brain says "cheap knockoff good idea" maybe there is something missing.
“Who cares? It’s cheap.”
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-16-23, 07:45 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I think the liner is $24.95.
Old 09-16-23, 07:59 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

A real catlike whisper liner may be $24.95, but it probably won't fit the attachment points in the knockoff.
Old 09-16-23, 08:03 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by veganbikes
If you wanna explain how a $20 Bell helmet from Walmart will keep my head safer than this $20 helmet I like the looks of, I'll listen.

But there's no way you can convince me the $150 helmet is 7x safer/better.

The reason I went from knockoff #1 to knockoff #2, was (in addition to sweat-saturated pads), I was riding one of my favorite trails, named "The Tunnels", and I hit a stout branch so hard, it felt like my spine was being pushed down into my chest. The helmet cracked a little, so I replaced it.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 09-16-23, 08:36 PM
poinciana

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looks like you can get one on DHgate.

That said, you're approaching half the cost of the real McCoy by now... if I were you, I'd treat myself. Even if it's "just" twice as effective at protecting you, it's a small fraction of what an ER would charge to diagnose a concussion and send you out the door.

BTW, Bell probably spends millions a year in R&D, and complies with international safety and testing standards, while the factory making these knockoffs spends about zero, and complies with none, if that answers your question.
Likes For poinciana:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.