Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Derailleur adjustment question - no barrel adjuster in front

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-17, 08:56 AM
kalash74

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any tips on setting up a front derailleur with no way of adjusting tension? There is no barrel adjuster that I can see. Derailleur is a Shimano Z-204GS on a 1986 Bridgestone MB-2. Also, I can't figure out for the life of me how to clamp the cable to the derailleur nut. (Pics to follow).
Old 01-29-17, 09:04 AM
Facanh

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would get an inline cable adjuster.

Not sure what shifters you have but if they're friction you don't need to adjust the cable tension. Just set the limit screws and pull the cable so there is no slack in it.
Old 01-29-17, 09:05 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Liked 1,102 Times in 747 Posts
Is the front shifting friction? If so, there is no need for precise initial tension since the shifter lever can take up a small amount of slack. If you really need to be able to adjust the tension, there are in-line cable adjusters that work well. Here is one source:
Nashbar - Welcome!

As to clamping the cable, it's usually very straightforward but I don't know your actual setup. Pictures will be needed.
Old 01-29-17, 09:05 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 4,188 Times in 2,471 Posts
+1 on Facanh's reply. Andy
Old 01-29-17, 11:07 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Liked 1,418 Times in 968 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Is the front shifting friction? If so, there is no need for precise initial tension since the shifter lever can take up a small amount of slack. If you really need to be able to adjust the tension, there are in-line cable adjusters that work well. Here is one source:
Nashbar - Welcome!

As to clamping the cable, it's usually very straightforward but I don't know your actual setup. Pictures will be needed.
+2
This FDER is designed for friction shifting.
If you are trying to use indexed shifting, get the correct FDER.
Here's a similar model
VeloBase.com - Component: Shimano FD-Z202-HS, Z-Series
Old 02-06-17, 02:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 3,046 Times in 1,723 Posts
The purpose of a barrel adjuster for a front derailleur such as this one (non-indexed) is only to remove slack while the derailleur is in its resting position. That slack is harmless. If it bothers you, detach the cable, screw in the inner limit screw slightly, reattach the cable, and then back out the limit screw to where it was. This will use the return spring to take up the slack. But it works only if you succeed in getting the front derailleur in the proper resting position, so it may take trial and error.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.