Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Opening Snacks While Riding

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-23, 09:42 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts

I was wondering how you folks open energy bars or snacks while you are riding. I struggle with opening a Cliff Bar or a Larabar with only one hand while riding. I don't feel comfortable riding with no hands. If I use my teeth, I just make a mess and often lose some of the bar to the street.

I considered adding some kind of sharp object (pointed away from me) on the bike, but I'm concerned that would be too dangerous. My wife suggested placing the bar/snack in a standard sandwich sized ziplock bag. That's the plan so far, but I hate the waist of the bag, and I don't want to potentially waist the bar if I don't eventually eat it.

What do you folks do?
Old 07-29-23, 09:43 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
Stop riding while you open the package?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-29-23, 10:11 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22607 Post(s)
Liked 8,929 Times in 4,161 Posts
If you KNOW you will be eating a snack on the ride, pre-tear it a bit so you can easily finish opening with your teeth.

Plan B is open at a stop sign or other convenient stopped sitch.
Old 07-29-23, 10:14 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
Bite the perforations and tear. Pull out food. Consume food and place packaging in pocket.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-29-23, 10:46 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3678 Post(s)
Liked 5,442 Times in 2,765 Posts
Another way is to hold the snack with the same hand you leave on the handlebar and open it with the other. Give the package a bite to get it started. It could be worse. I once rode with a guy who had to stop to drink from his bottle!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-29-23, 11:00 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Quoted: 10442 Post(s)
Liked 11,916 Times in 6,102 Posts
It seems to me that Clif Bars, among other snacks, used to come in packages that opened really easily, but have become much harder to open. This is why I added a stop at the midpoint of my long Sunday rides, so I don't have to try and open them on the road.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-29-23, 11:06 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Quoted: 10442 Post(s)
Liked 11,916 Times in 6,102 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Another way is to hold the snack with the same hand you leave on the handlebar and open it with the other. Give the package a bite to get it started. It could be worse. I once rode with a guy who had to stop to drink from his bottle!
I find that older (80s ad 90s) bikes seem to have their downtube bottle cage mounts a bit lower on the tube, so I have to reach way down to grab and return bottles. I wondered why they put them so low, till one day I was riding one of my bikes with DT shifters and the bottle didn't want to come out of the cage so I had to pull extra hard. When it did come out, the back of my hand hit the rear shift lever and dropped me into a smaller cog.

On a climb.

So I guess they knew what they were doing.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-29-23, 12:13 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
How do I carry a golf club on a bike?
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 07-29-23, 12:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6198 Post(s)
Liked 4,814 Times in 3,321 Posts
I usually just get my carbs from the stuff I put in my bottles. For 3 hour or less rides I seldom carry anything to eat any more. At one time I was using power bars and stuff. For those that were hard to open, I would make a small cut in them before my ride. Learn to hold it with the same hand you keep on the bars while you rip it open with the other hand. Or get comfortable with riding no handed... but not in a group!

But eventually they just got to be too much fuss while riding and I always worried the used wrappers would fall out of my pockets when I was going for other stuff and become litter.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-29-23, 12:57 PM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I usually just get my carbs from the stuff I put in my bottles. For 3 hour or less rides I seldom carry anything to eat any more. At one time I was using power bars and stuff. For those that were hard to open, I would make a small cut in them before my ride. Learn to hold it with the same hand you keep on the bars while you rip it open with the other hand. Or get comfortable with riding no handed... but not in a group!

But eventually they just got to be too much fuss while riding and I always worried the used wrappers would fall out of my pockets when I was going for other stuff and become litter.
Can't imagine riding non stop on a bicycle or anything for 3 hours.
Old 07-29-23, 01:07 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,681 Posts
"Snacks" are in the bowl that people balance on their gut while they sprawl in the BarcaLounger and flip channels. Whatever it is you bring with you to replenish your energy while doing your ride, it's not a snack.
Old 07-29-23, 01:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6198 Post(s)
Liked 4,814 Times in 3,321 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
Can't imagine riding non stop on a bicycle or anything for 3 hours.
It's very doable. Though I do have to stop for crossings and red lights. Stay hydrated, manage your energy appropriately for the climbs and accelerations and ride just hard enough to keep the weight off your saddle.

I'm sure others routinely ride non-stop for at least that long if not more.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-29-23, 01:08 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
First world problem.
Old 07-29-23, 01:12 PM
Chuck Naill

Originally Posted by Iride01
It's very doable. Though I do have to stop for crossings and red lights. Stay hydrated, manage your energy appropriately for the climbs and accelerations and ride just hard enough to keep the weight off your saddle.

I'm sure others routinely ride non-stop for at least that long if not more.
I am not questioning that it can be done, just why? I've ridden for four plus, but I am allowed to stop to eat.
Old 07-29-23, 01:32 PM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Bikes: Specialized Crux, Winspace SLC 2.0, Giant TCR Alliance

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 46 Posts
My first "big" crash was from trying to open a snack bar.

I was in the hurt locker, trying to avoid getting dropped when a more experienced rider gave me an energy bar. I tried to open it with my forearms on the handlebars.

It didn't end well. I lost control and my bike twisted under me and I went hard into the gravel beside the road. The point of my seat came up into my pelvis and I thought I had crushed a testicle. I limped into the bushes and felt around to make sure all my "boys" were all right. Fortunately, they were.

I had a sore spot right next to my genitals for several weeks following the crash and some uncomfortable showers due to road rash.

Ultimately the fallout was relatively small (I think. Will let you know as I start a family), but it could have been muchworse.

So, er, no advice, just that it's a skill to practice and take care with!
Likes For sir_crash_alot:
Old 07-29-23, 02:01 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 377 Posts
reach into right pocket, pull out snack, shift up a gear or two if on the flats or slight downhill, sit up and use both hands to tear open package, eat snack, put wrapper in left pocket or into left leg of shorts. I also carry water in the 16.9 oz bottles they come in and undo the cap and drink out of them similarly.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 07-29-23, 02:06 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,921 Posts
I just lean the top of the packaging into the rotor & let the deadly saw like item slice it open... Works fantastic if you bring a chunk of ham, turkey, or roast beef & want to slice it up for sammiches!

really, I don't bother unless its an all day ride & I don't plan out a quick stop somewhere. Rip it open using the teeth, using better judgement with road conditions (not while approaching railroad tracks or a round about)
Old 07-29-23, 02:16 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 349 Posts
Fortunately I can still ride no handed. Drop into an easier gear and sit back on the saddle and have lunch. But like Iride01 stated, if it's 3 hours or less, why bother with the "snacks" (fuel?). Most times I just suck on a mint to keep my blood sugars in order and drink occasionally to stay hydrated. Just turned 74 and while I crash occasionally, never while going no handed because I'm paying attention while doing so. Not so much the rest of the time I guess.
Old 07-29-23, 02:24 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3678 Post(s)
Liked 5,442 Times in 2,765 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
I am not questioning that it can be done, just why? I've ridden for four plus, but I am allowed to stop to eat.
If you ride with folks who are faster, you may have to learn to eat on the bike. By the time we backmarkers get to a regroup, others are sometimes ready to roll. And yes, under the hem of bibs/shorts is a good place for sticky trash.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 07-29-23 at 02:28 PM.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-29-23, 02:42 PM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
If I know that I'll probably 'need' a snack mid ride, I'll cut the end off the wrapper before I leave. Sounds too easy but the solutions to most 1st world problems are.
Likes For coupster:
Old 07-29-23, 02:52 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
I shifted to drinking my calories for several reasons, this being one of them. Most of the time I would just stop, while I like to keep my pace up, I wasn't in a race so stopping for 20 seconds and open a wrapper. Other items I would pre-open the wrappers. Or as mentioned, I would have pretty good results, holding the bar and the snack bar in one hand and using the free hand to work the wrapper. Usually after an initial tear with my teeth.

Last time I rode no handed was 40 years ago, it's not a skill I feel I need to develop now.
Old 07-29-23, 03:02 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Most of the time my energy snack while riding is a small box of raisins which it easy to open and swallow some. I make my own carob brownies that are gluten and maltodextrin and sugal alcohol and refined sugar free. I put one in a baggie that does in one of my rear pockets. If you read and fully understand the ingredients on the snack bars you would find something that is real food and not anultra processed industrial product in non biodegradable packaging.
Old 07-29-23, 03:05 PM
Chuck Naill

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
If you ride with folks who are faster, you may have to learn to eat on the bike. By the time we backmarkers get to a regroup, others are sometimes ready to roll. And yes, under the hem of bibs/shorts is a good place for sticky trash.
Another reason to ride solo.
Old 07-29-23, 05:39 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
Unless you are riding a race or time trial, why not just stop for 30 seconds and open the package? You can still eat while riding.

You must have figured out all the "really" important stuff like tubless, slammed stems, proper sock height and glasses or or outside helmet straps.
Old 07-29-23, 05:42 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Duct tape to your handlebars

Likes For Sy Reene:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.