Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Italian or English threaded freewheel?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-11, 02:37 PM
jockey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear bikers,

I removed my Regina BX freewheel from my hub (because of maintenance) and when I placed it back I realised that it didn't go straight. I thought that the thread on the hub may go wrong but when I took it off again I did not see anything. So I put it back again (but this time I did not screw it fully onto the hub) and I started to move the freewheel up and down I felt that it did not fit tight at all. I think the 'gap' (which is about 0,2 mms) is because my freewheel is Italian threaded and my hub is English. So I went to buy another freewheel and the mechanic said that every Regina's got English thread on it. To be honest, I don't really think that it's true. The new one does not fit tight enough and does not go straight either. After that I went somewhere else where I tried a Shimano freewheel which did fit quite well but it did not go fully straight either. (I think it's not normal at all but I was said that it was:S. Plus they said that almost every freewheel didn't go straight and the gap was normal, too:S).
I don't know what to do. May I be right and they are different types of threads? Or not fitting tight and not going straight is OK?
Please help. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-11, 02:51 PM
Steve530

Bikes: Klein

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Italian and British freewheel threading are very close. Check this webpage.

Did you check the hub for threading information? My Campy hubs have the threading stamped on the hub just inboard of the freewheel threads.
Old 06-19-11, 02:52 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,963 Times in 1,643 Posts
Regina freewheels indeed did come in both Italian and English (ISO) thread. The Italian thread versions were made for the home market and the English for Export. Read here (and maybe print it out for the benefit of the mechanic).

As you can see the difference is small, but it's enough to possible strip the hub under torque, or destroy the thread is forced on.

If this is the one you've been riding for a long while with no consequences you can continue to do so. But it might become an issue if you decide to venture into a hillier area. Likely, if you buy a new freewheel, it'll fit tighter.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-21-11, 05:24 AM
jockey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks for replying.

I checked Sheldon's site. Unfortunately, my hub has no threading information because it's not Campy.

Sadly, the other link of Regina freewheels does'nt work:S. I managed to get a Maillrad freewhell yesterday, I hope it will be fine.