Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Route planning advice - Pescadero area

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-14, 09:30 AM
hup

Bikes: '04 Serotta CIII, '01 Lemond Poprad, mid 90s Burley Rock N Roll Tandem, Old School Specialized HardRock, '15 GT Grade alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey NorCal - we are going to be staying down at the Costanoa campground south of Pescadero on Hwy 1 in a couple of weeks and would like to plan a ride. I asked a similar question here a few months ago and got great input so am hoping to get more of the same great area insight. I have drawn up a couple of routes, both of them going up Gazos Creek Rd, past Butano, then up Pescadero Creek Rd. to Hwy 84. One comes down 84 while the other continues up to Skyline then down Tunitas Creek Rd. A few miles on Hwy 1, then down Stage Rd to Pescadero.

This is the latter route - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/3721630

.... and this the shorter - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/3721588

First, will either of these even work? Any cautions or things to look out for? Any and all input is appreciated

Thanks!
Henry
Old 01-09-14, 12:28 PM
jfh

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
I'd much rather climb Tunitas Creek rather than descend it. Personally, I'd do your longer route in the reverse direction.

Tunitas is my favorite climb; the middle section gets a little steep, but you spend time making your way up through gorgeous redwoods on a almost-no-car road. There's also the Bike Hut before the climb.

https://potreronuevofarm.org/thebikehut.html
Old 01-09-14, 04:01 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Do opposite, get take stage, to hw1, up Tunitas, then right on skyline to 84/skyline interstection, down 84, left to pescadero. If you want more climbing you can descent kings, and climb back up West Old La Honda. Don't descent East side of Old La Honda, it sucks.
Old 01-09-14, 08:01 PM
Harun
:p

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Choosing your route depends on your preferences - Tunitas is quiet going up or down, but descending is a bit technical and the ground might be wet/slippery in the shaded areas if it's colder. Same goes for Alpine/Pescadero Crk. Very little traffic, but technical in some parts. 84 is more traffic heavy, but a gentler descent (although there's usually a headwind coming from the coast). I personally prefer quieter roads, even if it means a harder climb/descent.

Also, a water/stop tip: if you're climbing pescadero/alpine and need water, stop at Sam Macdonald Park. If you're coming from the coast it's during the descent between Alpine/pescadero junction (and the park sign is not visible going this way, so you'll miss it if you blink). Coming the other way (toward the coast) you're climbing so you'll be able to see the sign. There's a water fountain, picnic benches, and bathrooms.
Old 01-09-14, 10:40 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Don't descent East side of Old La Honda, it sucks.
What's wrong with it? When I make the trip to Woodside, my regular route is up OLH, down the east side of it, then 84 to the coast, then Hwy 1 to Tunitas, and down Kings. I have no issue with the east side of OLH, it's been fairly recently chipped, and apart from some loose chip, it's in pretty good shape IMO.
Old 01-09-14, 11:46 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
What's wrong with it? When I make the trip to Woodside, my regular route is up OLH, down the east side of it, then 84 to the coast, then Hwy 1 to Tunitas, and down Kings. I have no issue with the east side of OLH, it's been fairly recently chipped, and apart from some loose chip, it's in pretty good shape IMO.
In winter first part is damp, and with tons of debris, it is easy to loose traction. Rest is twisty, narrow, so if there is a car coming up or bunch of cyclists riding side by side a good chance of head on. I just don't see the point when 84 is right nearby, and since it is freshly repaved it is like race track. To each is his own.
Old 01-10-14, 09:50 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Agree about the debris and wetness. Even on a dry day (I only drive down there when it's clear and no fog overnight) that area is wet, even when nothing else is. Everything you say is true, but the more time I can avoid on 84 the better. Though not *that* bad, it's nice to cut some of the distance out of taking that road.
Old 01-20-14, 01:04 PM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both good routes. You can be assured that traffic is very light on all roads you picked, except Hwy 1 (Hwy84 can be busy on weekends). But Hwy 1 has very good shoulders. So, it'll be very good riding. There are enough stores along the way if you need provisions. Weather has been superb lately.

I agree with the comments about not descending Tunitas. I've blown out front tires from overheating the rims on the way down Tunitas. Going up is infinitely better. Plus, you do not want to ride up Hwy 84, no shoulders on major parts of it. Going clockwise would give you the best of both Tunitas and Hwy 84. Going counter-clockwise, you'd get the worst of both roads.

Good luck on the ride!
Old 01-20-14, 11:13 PM
hup

Bikes: '04 Serotta CIII, '01 Lemond Poprad, mid 90s Burley Rock N Roll Tandem, Old School Specialized HardRock, '15 GT Grade alloy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all for the responses.
My homies bailed on the longer Tunitas Creek route, so we ended up doing the shorter ride. Loved going up Gazos Creek Rd and Pescadero Creek Rd. Stage Rd was also pretty cool with the views of the coast. I'm now on a mission to get back over there and do that Tunitas Creek Rd climb.
Thanks again!
Henry
Old 01-22-14, 07:08 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
How busy is this route during the week? Might skip work on Friday and attempt part of this ride.
Old 01-23-14, 07:51 AM
hup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
How busy is this route during the week? Might skip work on Friday and attempt part of this ride.
We did the shorter ride this past Sunday and some traffic was present, but not really bothersome IMO.

I would think that it would be even better on a weekday. Someone else might chime in with another take on it.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/3721588

This is the one we did. We rode it clockwise starting from Gazos Creek Rd & Hwy 1.

If you ride it let me know what you think.

Henry
Old 01-24-14, 02:00 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Thanks for the comment. Ended up going to work anyways. Must do that loop at some point!