Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Must read article about stretching

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-13, 01:32 AM
hillcrawler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I never knew stretching was that important. Your muscles get shortened if you don't stretch and it causes lots of issues in your body. I think my knee pains are related to stretching now. I never stretch before or after the rides but i will from now on.

https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/articl...yclists-26074/
Old 12-31-13, 06:26 AM
Smokehouse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hillcrawler
I never knew stretching was that important. Your muscles get shortened if you don't stretch and it causes lots of issues in your body. I think my knee pains are related to stretching now. I never stretch before or after the rides but i will from now on.

https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/articl...yclists-26074/
You know...Im going to throw this out there. Stretch, don't stretch...for me, I makes no noticeable difference what so ever.

I used to stretch before a ride...I felt fine during and afterwards. Then I forgot from time to time...no difference. Come to think of it...going through basic training, the most physically strenuous time in my life, I didn't stretch at all.

Ive had more issues with proper fit than anything. My seatpost took a hit last summer apparently and dropped quite a bit, that screwed my knees up 10 times more than anything else ever has. I fixed the height and the problem went away. Almost every ailment I have ever had I've been ablet to correct through fit adjustment or muscle strengthening.

I am by far no expert...and I'm sure I'm more than likely incorrect, but I've yet to see a significant difference due to stretching...

Last edited by Smokehouse; 12-31-13 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-31-13, 06:40 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Yeah, but there are lots of knowledgeable folks these days saying just the opposite. For example: https://saveyourself.ca/articles/stretching.php dating back to 2000.

Before anyone howls in protest, let me make it clear I have no personal position on this topic, pro or con. I have just noticed some resources recently that appear to counter the establishment belief in the benefits of stretching. While there is certainly a traditional viewpoint in favor of stretching, it is not without some challenge.
Old 12-31-13, 07:35 AM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Yeah, but there are lots of knowledgeable folks these days saying just the opposite. For example: https://saveyourself.ca/articles/stretching.php dating back to 2000.
Thanks for that link. The article is a little long-winded, but it is well researched. Note that it does identify flexibility as one of the few things that stretching actually has been clinically shown to improve. Whether one needs more flexibility for cycling is very dependent on the individual. If you're happy with your position on the bike, stretching may not offer much benefit. But it also won't hurt and it does feel good (when done properly) so I wouldn't dismiss it without trying it.

Last edited by Kopsis; 12-31-13 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-31-13, 07:39 AM
Smokehouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kopsis
Thanks for that link. The article is a little long-winded, but it is well researched. Note that it does identify flexibility as one of the few things that stretching actually has been clinically shown to improve. Whether one needs more flexibility for cycling is very dependent on the individual. If you're happy with your position on the bike, stretching may offer much benefit. But it also won't hurt and it does feel good (when done properly) so I wouldn't dismiss it without trying it.
Now...this point, I have seen. Forcing myself to stretch has improved my flexibility considerably.
Old 12-31-13, 09:34 AM
Roosterbird

Bikes: Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to think i didn't need to stretch and never did when I was younger. Now that I'm mid fifties, I feel the tightness. A couple of years ago i thought I had a heel spur but turned out via the Otho Doc and phys therapy I have extremely tight hamstrings particularly on the left side. It was causing pain on the heel due to the tightness. I try to stretch a little each day and especially before and after exercise.
Old 12-31-13, 09:47 AM
spdoran

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you read the article it does make quite a bit of sense especially applied only to cyclists. It doesn't say to do normal stretches immediately before your ride, but to do dynamic stretches (which most of the professional teams are now doing if you've seen the GCN videos on youtube). It also makes sense that cycling would cause more muscle problems because, unlike running, it does cause the muscles to behave in a manner different from their full range of normal motion. Stretching out your muscles before a ride is no doubt a bad idea, but I think we could all benefit from a few dynamic stretches a few times a week by themselves or as a warm up to a gym workout. I'm not an expert by any means, but I have taken a few classes on this type of stuff in college and this seems to be where the expert are heading on these topics.
Old 12-31-13, 10:17 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Good article but I think most of the stretches are a bit much for a lot of people. There are gentler stretches to accomplish the same thing. The author is biased to yoga.

Old 12-31-13, 12:05 PM
strangebrou

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod, 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert, 1984 Trek 520, 1981 Peugeot beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a believer in stretching. My kids got me to take taekwondo with them this year, and in order to do the kicks, I had to stretch dilligently. Over the course of the year, I have been able to get into a riding position that is more agressive and more comfortable than I have been in the last 8 years. I don't stretch before every ride (or any ride, for that matter), but stretching for taekwondo has helped me as a cyclist.
Old 12-31-13, 08:40 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokehouse
You know...Im going to throw this out there. Stretch, don't stretch...for me, I makes no noticeable difference what so ever.

I used to stretch before a ride...I felt fine during and afterwards. Then I forgot from time to time...no difference. Come to think of it...going through basic training, the most physically strenuous time in my life, I didn't stretch at all.

Ive had more issues with proper fit than anything. My seatpost took a hit last summer apparently and dropped quite a bit, that screwed my knees up 10 times more than anything else ever has. I fixed the height and the problem went away. Almost every ailment I have ever had I've been ablet to correct through fit adjustment or muscle strengthening.

I am by far no expert...and I'm sure I'm more than likely incorrect, but I've yet to see a significant difference due to stretching...

same, IME.

Old 12-31-13, 09:00 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
IN my opinion, the benefits in stretching are so subtle that you don't realise it until you need them.

One of the things I see a lot with older, fast and very fit riders is what I call the cyclist's stoop. I think it has to do with the shortening of certain muscles and ligaments/tendons, including the hamstrings which in turn play havoc with their lower backs.

I have quite good flexibility in terms of looking after my hamstrings and achilles. I also try to keep my side muscles and ITBs stretches to avoid issues with them. And then there are the groin ligaments and muscles. Not important? How do you go getting on the bike?

I know most people here are younger, but trust me, the older you get, the more you appreciate having muscles, ligaments and tendons that are supple. Being able to keep active depends on it, in my experience.

I don't do terribly much to keep them that way. Touching the floor with the palms of my hands a couple of time each time I shower, running my hands down the sides of my legs at the same time, twisting the torso left and right...

I know when things aren't right when my lower back starts to ache, then hurt enough to restrict my movement.
Old 12-31-13, 09:23 PM
Harun
:p

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a better article written by the guy in the photos who's a US continental pro, not some hired model lady who probably doesn't even ride a bike and is just there to increase pageviews .
Old 01-01-14, 09:30 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
IN my opinion, the benefits in stretching are so subtle that you don't realise it until you need them.

One of the things I see a lot with older, fast and very fit riders is what I call the cyclist's stoop. I think it has to do with the shortening of certain muscles and ligaments/tendons, including the hamstrings which in turn play havoc with their lower backs.

I have quite good flexibility in terms of looking after my hamstrings and achilles. I also try to keep my side muscles and ITBs stretches to avoid issues with them. And then there are the groin ligaments and muscles. Not important? How do you go getting on the bike?

I know most people here are younger, but trust me, the older you get, the more you appreciate having muscles, ligaments and tendons that are supple. Being able to keep active depends on it, in my experience.

I don't do terribly much to keep them that way. Touching the floor with the palms of my hands a couple of time each time I shower, running my hands down the sides of my legs at the same time, twisting the torso left and right...

I know when things aren't right when my lower back starts to ache, then hurt enough to restrict my movement.
Lots of old people are plenty stooped that have never been on bicycles, so I don't know how you tell the difference there.