Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Anyone have feedback on bike trailer's for little ones?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 11:30 AM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My little guy just turned 7 months and I watch him on weekends so hoping to find a good safe bike trailer we can ride around on local MUPS and bike trails close to home. All the paths are pretty smooth. I did look into them briefly, but they seem to range anywhere from $50-$500 and all seem to look the same with the exception of suspension on some of the higher end models.

I have a road bike and a hybrid, but will more than likely use the hybrid when we ride since I don't plan on going too fast with him on back.

Anyone have suggestion on good brands to consider or what options I should be looking for. I have yet to find a bike shop with them in stock so haven't been able to inspect anything in person as of yet.
Old 06-03-15, 01:01 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Liked 211 Times in 117 Posts
We have a Burley that was gifted to us from a friend. Craig's list is a great place -- make sure whatever you look at has all the hardware and connecting pieces. Most (all?) trailers have a part that goes on the tow bike at the rear axle -- then the trailer attaches to it.

My only suggestion isn't on the trailer; it's to wait a few more months. The earliest my pediatrician (and reading I did) said to have the kids in the trailer was 1 year old -- mostly because their neck muscles aren't developed enough yet to wear a helmet and be safe. (Yes, a helmet in the trailer)
Old 06-03-15, 03:45 PM
LGHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by superdex
We have a Burley that was gifted to us from a friend. Craig's list is a great place -- make sure whatever you look at has all the hardware and connecting pieces. Most (all?) trailers have a part that goes on the tow bike at the rear axle -- then the trailer attaches to it.

My only suggestion isn't on the trailer; it's to wait a few more months. The earliest my pediatrician (and reading I did) said to have the kids in the trailer was 1 year old -- mostly because their neck muscles aren't developed enough yet to wear a helmet and be safe. (Yes, a helmet in the trailer)
Thanks for the tips. I was also told to wait until he was at least a year old or a minimum of 20lbs, but will be searching CL to hopefully find a good deal as I really don't plan to pay more for a trailer than the bike that will be pulling it. Do you recall what version burley you had? I looked at a few online and wow I can't believe how much they want for these things new. Hoping I can save at least half the costs getting a fairly basic used one since she already spent $500+ on a stroller
Old 06-03-15, 05:08 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,931 Times in 1,162 Posts
I'd get a Chariot again if I needed a trailer. Smart designs and accessories (including a head brace). I have one of their Sidecarrier sidecars. Sweet piece of kit.

i have two kids, and put them both in the sidecar before it made sense to have them wear helmets. I understand some may have a different assessment of the risks involved in having young necks bear the helmet weight vs. risks of accidents vs. convenience, and those issues vis-a-vis fitting a helmet, fitting a kid with a helmet in the trailer, and full-frame trailers.

I also have a vintage, out-of-production Tanjor Aero with inline seating that's positively awesome for older kids, as in 3yr and up. If you can find one, buy it!

Lastly, the Rec & Family forum here is a good resource for kid trailer info.
Old 06-03-15, 05:17 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Here's my full rig, for hauling 3 kids, or two and lotsa stuff:

Old 06-04-15, 09:57 AM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of Performance Bike shops keep trailers in stock.

GH
Old 06-04-15, 11:31 AM
LGHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chaadster
I'd get a Chariot again if I needed a trailer. Smart designs and accessories (including a head brace). I have one of their Sidecarrier sidecars. Sweet piece of kit.

i have two kids, and put them both in the sidecar before it made sense to have them wear helmets. I understand some may have a different assessment of the risks involved in having young necks bear the helmet weight vs. risks of accidents vs. convenience, and those issues vis-a-vis fitting a helmet, fitting a kid with a helmet in the trailer, and full-frame trailers.

I also have a vintage, out-of-production Tanjor Aero with inline seating that's positively awesome for older kids, as in 3yr and up. If you can find one, buy it!

Lastly, the Rec & Family forum here is a good resource for kid trailer info.
I did look at the Chariot carriers and they are probably the best around, however the wife wants to get a "jogger" in addition to my trailer so that cut my spending down to $300 max. As a result I'm considering getting a used one and most of the good used trailers I found have been burley. That Tanjor looks sweet for sure. Almost like an old fashion race car! I'm going to setup an alert to see if I can find one, but it's doubtful.

Originally Posted by ColaJacket
A lot of Performance Bike shops keep trailers in stock.
GH
I have a Performance a mile away and they don't carry any nor does the REI next door. I may end up driving an hour away just to see what the burley's look like.
Old 06-04-15, 05:26 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Moved from General Cycling.
Old 06-04-15, 05:37 PM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
InStep from Amazon. I got this last summer when my grandson was about 11 months old. It works great and is easy to set up and break down.

Sorry, this item is not available in
Image not available
To view this video download Flash Player
Click to open expanded view

[h=1]InSTEP Sync Single Bicycle Trailer[/h]

by Pacific Cycle

596 customer reviews

[HR][/HR] [TABLE="class: a-normal"]
[TR]
[TD="class: ctxMessage ctxMessageMultiRow"]Why am I seeing this?
At Amazon, we seek to give customers as much information as possible so they can make a great purchase decision.
Will other customers be able to see my shopping history?
No, we will never share any identifiable information about you, your browsing history, or your purchase activity.
How do I find out more about Amazon Mom?
Please visit here to learn more.

Popular with Amazon Moms with 12-18 month old children (What's this?)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[HR][/HR][TABLE="class: a-lineitem"]
[TR]
[TD="class: a-color-secondary a-size-base a-text-right a-nowrap"]List Price:[/TD]
[TD="class: a-span12 a-color-secondary a-size-base a-text-strike"]$128.41[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: a-color-secondary a-size-base a-text-right a-nowrap"]Price:[/TD]
[TD="class: a-span12"]$99.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: a-color-secondary a-size-base a-text-right a-nowrap"]You Save:[/TD]
[TD="class: a-span12 a-color-price a-size-base"]$28.42 (22%) [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com in easy-to-open packaging. Gift-wrap available.

Color: Green/Gray

• Versatile, durable, single-passenger bike trailer
  • Outstanding value for family-minded recreational cyclists
  • Simple design folds down for easy storage and transportation
  • Two-in-one canopy has bug screen and weather shield
  • Coupler attaches to almost any bicycle

17 new from $98.56

This item will be visible when delivered. To keep it a surprise, select This is a gift in checkout.
Old 06-05-15, 10:08 AM
LGHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That looks great and is pretty reasonable, but do you know if it has a full roll cage like the more expensive brands. Although I'm as cheap as can be and love a great deal this is one of the decision that I'm willing to pay extra for if it's "safer".
Old 06-05-15, 02:28 PM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The sides fold up, and they have an aluminum frame. There is a bar on top that locks the sides in place. I don't know if I'd consider this a full roll cage, but there is some protection there. I really think it would be a problem to get this to turn over, it's pretty stable. I totally understand your concern for safety first.
Old 06-05-15, 04:30 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Instead of getting a "jogger" and a trailer, try getting a convertible trailer like some of the Burley and Chariot trailers. Our old Burley with the jogger kit got almost as much use off the bike as on.
I've never used a Chariot trailer but the Burley was very durable compared to friend's Instep trailers that fell apart after a year or so. This means a used Burley is a viable option, as long as you can inspect it in person since a friend got burned by an Ebay purchase that arrived minus the wheels.
Old 06-05-15, 05:27 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by SlowJoeCrow
Instead of getting a "jogger" and a trailer, try getting a convertible trailer like some of the Burley and Chariot trailers. Our old Burley with the jogger kit got almost as much use off the bike as on.
I've never used a Chariot trailer but the Burley was very durable compared to friend's Instep trailers that fell apart after a year or so. This means a used Burley is a viable option, as long as you can inspect it in person since a friend got burned by an Ebay purchase that arrived minus the wheels.
They already spent the $500 on the BOB or whatever, so that option has sailed. Would've been reasonable though, and the Chariot convertibles are particularly nice.
Old 06-05-15, 10:05 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Liked 2,150 Times in 1,402 Posts
We had mine in the trailer in January at age 7mo. I think to do it again we'd put his car seat in the trailer so his head wouldn't loll when he naps.

In May he rode ~110 miles.

We have an InStep Take 2, much like the one in post 9 but a 2-seater with a center harness so you can take one kid down the middle or two across. I cannot recommend it as a serious piece of hardware. It's not chintzy, it's held together well enough so far. But only two things about it are better than a Burley or Chariot. The one thing it does better than the nicer ones is that it folds completely flat. The other is that it's about 1/4 the price. Other than that, instead of a universal joint it uses a big spring, which creaks. The cover is attached with Velcro and snaps, and does not zip closed; on a better trailer the cover is like a camping tent, it seals up and is weatherproof if needed. The windows are not UV-proof and there is no sun shade. There is no suspension, the seats don't recline. The plastic wheels aren't true and the tires are hard as rocks. The aerodynamics stink, it's like towing a parachute. It's heavy. It does not convert from or to a stroller.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 06-06-15 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-23-15, 12:51 PM
LGHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SlowJoeCrow
Well I'm still on the hunt for a trailer. Since the wife already spent a ton on a fancy stroller I'm basically looking to get something either used or something on the lower end. I think my best bet would be to go used and try and get a used one. Would it be possible to find a "convertible" for say around $200 or so? If not then I'll just have to settle for a dedicated setup.
Old 06-23-15, 01:50 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by LGHT
Well I'm still on the hunt for a trailer. Since the wife already spent a ton on a fancy stroller I'm basically looking to get something either used or something on the lower end. I think my best bet would be to go used and try and get a used one. Would it be possible to find a "convertible" for say around $200 or so? If not then I'll just have to settle for a dedicated setup.
Just get on your local Craigslist and search both the baby+kids section and the bikes section for Chariot and Burley. You should find something.
Old 06-23-15, 02:41 PM
LGHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Just get on your local Craigslist and search both the baby+kids section and the bikes section for Chariot and Burley. You should find something.
Ok what about this one? Not sure if it's a burley or not, but it does say "chariot" and looks like it has a handle?? To use it as as stroller.

Chariot bike trailer

I also found this one, but not sure if it's the one I should consider or not.

Burley Bike Trailer
Old 06-23-15, 04:19 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Burley and Chariot (now part of Thule) are two different brands. But they're both good. Make sure what you buy has all the parts you need (hitch for the bike, front wheels for stroller mode) or that you're ok buying what's missing.
Old 07-09-15, 10:56 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have extensive experience with chariot carriers CX 1. they were a calgary based company that was sold to Thule recently. we bought in 2011 before the acquisition. it cost a lot less than it does now.

at both REI.com and MEC.ca, we researched a lot and went with Chariot Carriers mostly b/c we needed a running stroller too and b/c we cross country ski. we've used the chariot for XC skiing, cycling and running (and strolling too) and it is easy to use for all three.

components we got were
- strolling wheels
- jogging wheel attachments
- basket (for on top)
- cycling attachment & flag
- XC skis and associated belt
- extra rain cover
- baby supporter
- baby sling (which we sent back)
we could technically go hiking with this, but for hiking we would use our deuter pack child comfort carrier.

it comes with a rain cover and shade on the side. it's as breathable as you would like or not. we have ability to use side vents or close them off to wind etc. also there's a sun visor, and different levels of "containment" depending on your activity and baby's preference. there's snack and bottle holders for baby, but she can't reach them from where she sits. the extra rain cover is when it's seriously pouring. i've only used it maybe 3x? the rain cover it comes with is sufficient.

it's pretty perfect. i wouldn't buy anything else considering the activities we do.
Old 07-28-15, 05:26 PM
LGHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by snow_echo_NY

components we got were
- strolling wheels
- jogging wheel attachments
- basket (for on top)
- cycling attachment & flag
- XC skis and associated belt
- extra rain cover
- baby supporter
- baby sling (which we sent back)
we could technically go hiking with this, but for hiking we would use our deuter pack child comfort carrier.

it's pretty perfect. i wouldn't buy anything else considering the activities we do.
Wow that's quit a list of activities.

Since the little one wasn't 9 mo yet (he will be soon) I sort of put off looking. However I just found 2 newly posted trailers, both are asking $200. The Burley is a D'Lite solo, but not sure what model the chariot is.

Here are the pics.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
00b0b_dDSAFmNukqU_600x450.jpg (49.4 KB, 40 views)
00101_4HuZLRYq3ZB_600x450.jpg (27.6 KB, 41 views)
Old 07-29-15, 06:28 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LGHT
Wow that's quit a list of activities.

Since the little one wasn't 9 mo yet (he will be soon) I sort of put off looking. However I just found 2 newly posted trailers, both are asking $200. The Burley is a D'Lite solo, but not sure what model the chariot is.

Here are the pics.

the chariot looks looks like an older model of the CX1. the wheels are different than mine.
plus handle bar is missing and so is the drum brake. and the mesh sides and front don't have their plastic coverings for rain? but otherwise it looks fine. perhaps the owner took them off and stored them somewhere.

you should try and check out both of them if they are local to you
Old 07-29-15, 07:28 AM
Sidney Porter

Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
We have the instep. This is my second trailer (We have an 11.5 year old and a 4 year old, we ended up giving away most of the kids stuff from the first one). With the first kid we had one of the double one that you could attach a wheel to the front and make it a jogging stroller. It was a poor jogging stroller. comparable to this Amazon.com : Allen Sports Premium Aluminum 2 Child Bicycle Trailer and Stroller : Child Carrier Bike Trailers : Sports & Outdoors

For the 2nd kid we learned a couple of things. We wanted a single carrier rather than the double wide. These things act a a parachute no sense in adding additional width. The other thing about width is if you are on a narrow bike path (or sidewalk) you take up more room. But if you plan on having 2 kids in the same age range the double wide would make sense. We also knew that the convertible feature was not worth it on the lesser expensive trailers (it might be better on the high end trailers). We purchased a separate fixed wheel jogging stroller. The fixed wheel jogging stroller worked better than the ones where the wheel can be locked in place. What i would recommend for the joggling stroller is the hands free adaptor. You steer with your waist. It too a couple miles to get use to it but it allowed you to use your arms to run not push the stroller.
Amazon.com : Stroll-Smart Hands Free Jogging Stroller Adaptor Medium to Large : Wrist Stroller Strap : Baby

Hmmm full roll cage. They both had metal frames. I don't know if I would call it a roll cage. I also thing you need to work at tipping one of these over.
Old 07-29-15, 09:32 AM
LGHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by snow_echo_NY
the chariot looks looks like an older model of the CX1. the wheels are different than mine.
plus handle bar is missing and so is the drum brake. and the mesh sides and front don't have their plastic coverings for rain? but otherwise it looks fine. perhaps the owner took them off and stored them somewhere.

you should try and check out both of them if they are local to you
They did list they have the hanlde, but I'll ask about the mesh covers. The ad just said it has all parts and handle so I assume everything that it comes with is there. I would love the jogging option, but because of my bad needs I more or less walk face and never really "jog" which is why I ride my bike pretty often.

I also found this one, but it's $300. Maybe if the seller went down a little? Not sure if it's the newer model or not.

Attached Images
00303_l6yogf4fggt_600x450.jpg (44.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 07-29-15, 09:35 AM
LGHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sidney Porter
We have the instep. This is my second trailer (We have an 11.5 year old and a 4 year old, we ended up giving away most of the kids stuff from the first one). With the first kid we had one of the double one that you could attach a wheel to the front and make it a jogging stroller. It was a poor jogging stroller. comparable to this Amazon.com : Allen Sports Premium Aluminum 2 Child Bicycle Trailer and Stroller : Child Carrier Bike Trailers : Sports & Outdoors

For the 2nd kid we learned a couple of things. We wanted a single carrier rather than the double wide. These things act a a parachute no sense in adding additional width. The other thing about width is if you are on a narrow bike path (or sidewalk) you take up more room. But if you plan on having 2 kids in the same age range the double wide would make sense. We also knew that the convertible feature was not worth it on the lesser expensive trailers (it might be better on the high end trailers). We purchased a separate fixed wheel jogging stroller. The fixed wheel jogging stroller worked better than the ones where the wheel can be locked in place. What i would recommend for the joggling stroller is the hands free adaptor. You steer with your waist. It too a couple miles to get use to it but it allowed you to use your arms to run not push the stroller.
Amazon.com : Stroll-Smart Hands Free Jogging Stroller Adaptor Medium to Large : Wrist Stroller Strap : Baby

Hmmm full roll cage. They both had metal frames. I don't know if I would call it a roll cage. I also thing you need to work at tipping one of these over.
Yeah I like the single carriers and prefer the more aero design. I road my bike last night and my downhill max speed was 48mph. I want something fast and nimble that I can get going in. Plus like you said the trails and bike lanes are pretty small already.