Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro-mod Build: Vintage Tesch S-22 Meets Modern Campy

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-22, 10:42 AM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 156 Posts

My Tesch S-22 rebuild is finally finished. My daily ride is a Ritchey carbon Breakaway with Campy SR 11 speed. Back in April I finished rebuilding my Zullo with Campy 11 speed Athena and was collecting components of 11 speed Record to rebuild my Tesch. To this I added an innicycle thread less conversion headset, Thomson Stem, handlebars and seat post. I’d originally planned on using the conversion headset on my Zullo build but decide to keep that old school. The Tesch had a mixture of 8 speed Dura Ace 7400/7410 and 7700 9 speed.

I stripped the frame down and covered the forks, down tube and chain stays with 3M paint protection film.

I installed a full 11 speed Record group but at the last minute I got a great deal on set of 12 SR brakes, so those went on. I like the they are not skeletonized and all of the brake parts are black, no silver or chromed parts on this generation except for the springs and bolts. For my wheelset, I had lusted after a set of Boyd’s ceramic coated rims and got a pretty good deal on a Boyd built wheelset using their 85 hubset. I stripped the light grey Boyd decals and replaced with a set of glass black decal. Gave it a very stealth look. I installed their tubeless conversion kit and then a set of Continental GP 5000S TRs in 25mm. I’ve had great experience with GP 4000 TLs and had used up my last set as replacements on my Ritchey. No issue with mounting them, they were a breeze to install and sealed right from the start.

I took it yesterday on its shakedown cruise and it passed with flying colors. I’ve always love the way the Tesch handled, very agile without being too twitchy. With the new Campy components, it is a dream to ride. Definitely more responsive than my Zullo but only time will tell if it will be as comfortable a ride on long distances as the Zullo. I doubt it but that’s why you have different bikes. It’s not my everyday ride but it’s not meant to be.

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 06-28-22 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-28-22, 02:47 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,381 Times in 3,669 Posts
BMC_Kid

Looks pretty good from here, nice job.

Not normally good with full murdered out black builds but....

No problem with hot rodding the drivetrain, makes a great completely new bike out of just about anything you start with, I have a few including my daily driver which is fantastic.

The black and red is the only scheme on this that would really work for me being full blackout, really does look badazz. as if a Tesch needed any help for that.

How about some pics in the sun when it lines up.

Here's my half blackout version and I wanted more chrome but it wasn't in the cards, got what I could in bits and pieces.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-decide-2.html

Likes For merziac:
Old 06-28-22, 03:50 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
How did you spread the rear triangle?
Mine is so stiff, I do not think it is worth the effort.

Sprint to Victory.
Old 06-28-22, 08:18 PM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by merziac
BMC_Kid

Looks pretty good from here, nice job.

Not normally good with full murdered out black builds but....

No problem with hot rodding the drivetrain, makes a great completely new bike out of just about anything you start with, I have a few including my daily driver which is fantastic.

The black and red is the only scheme on this that would really work for me being full blackout, really does look badazz. as if a Tesch needed any help for that.

How about some pics in the sun when it lines up.

Here's my half blackout version and I wanted more chrome but it wasn't in the cards, got what I could in bits and pieces.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-decide-2.html

Very nice, hadn’t heard the term murdered out before. Generally, I am a fan of chrome and polished aluminum. For this build I wanted to use a carbon Campy groupset and didn’t want to mix it with silver annodized components. I live and work in Bahrain and currently ride at night or early morning. It is a quarter past 5am here now and I just came back from a quick ride before work. According to my phone it is 91F with 56% humidity for a heat index of 101F, which is actually not that bad. A few days ago it was closer to 105F heat index due to much higher humidity, so I am not complaining. On my day off I will usually push past daybreak and I’ll definitely get a few shots of the bike in the early morning sunlight.
Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 06-28-22, 08:30 PM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by repechage

Sprint to Victory.
When I had the frame refinished by Spectrum Powder Coating in Colorado Springs, they re-spaced the rear triangle and checked it for cracks afterwards and before respray. Those chainstays are pretty stout but if you do a search for Tesch S-22, you’ll come across a restored example that needed new chainstays due to cracks just after the reinforcement bridge behind the bottom bracket lug. Other than the 80s neon hot pink and mint green fade paint job, my frame needed no work other than typical paint prep.
Old 06-28-22, 10:24 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
Very nice, hadn’t heard the term murdered out before. Generally, I am a fan of chrome and polished aluminum. For this build I wanted to use a carbon Campy groupset and didn’t want to mix it with silver annodized components. I live and work in Bahrain and currently ride at night or early morning. It is a quarter past 5am here now and I just came back from a quick ride before work. According to my phone it is 91F with 56% humidity for a heat index of 101F, which is actually not that bad. A few days ago it was closer to 105F heat index due to much higher humidity, so I am not complaining. On my day off I will usually push past daybreak and I’ll definitely get a few shots of the bike in the early morning sunlight.
Well murdered out would technically be all black but this would be a black murdered out build. I get it and like it on this, something about red, black, white and silver look sharp together. This is getting it done with just red and black.

Bet you're glad to have a whip like this in a place like that, please keep it close at hand and safe.
Old 06-29-22, 05:55 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts

Sprint to Victory.
First, I'm not sure he needed to spread it. If he initially had early 8 and 9 systems on it, I've mainly seen those as being 130 mm OLN. I have installed a Campy 11 system on my wife's Terry, and it is definitely 130 mm OLN.

Second, though I would not do this frame manipulation myself to a $2k to $3k frame, here in Ann Arbor we have a technician who can spread high-strength rear-ends, I can give you a reference if you need it. My Terraferma, TruTemper OX-Plat, was built per customer spec as a 126 mm bike, and that customer, who sold it to me, did not disclose that. This excellent technician was able to cold set that frame with no resulting cracks or blemishes. And a 130 mm wheel slips right in!

So it is possible to do such tricky cold-setting.
Old 06-29-22, 06:20 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
BMC_Kid
Red and black are the bomb!
When I did the DeRosa, I was conflicted to go with bling or black. Because the bike has chrome CS and white decals, I had to take those into consideration.
When the wheels showed up for sale, I could not pass them up with Record hubs and a 10 speed cassette attached. That set the tone. I also tried silver brakes and had AL post and stem. The succumbed to the dark side.
I think the balance is pretty good for black, chrome, red and white.
De Rosa in Riding configuraton on Flickr

I would ride yours!
Old 06-29-22, 07:26 AM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by Road Fan
First, I'm not sure he needed to spread it. If he initially had early 8 and 9 systems on it, I've mainly seen those as being 130 mm OLN. I have installed a Campy 11 system on my wife's Terry, and it is definitely 130 mm OLN.

Second, though I would not do this frame manipulation myself to a $2k to $3k frame, here in Ann Arbor we have a technician who can spread high-strength rear-ends, I can give you a reference if you need it. My Terraferma, TruTemper OX-Plat, was built per customer spec as a 126 mm bike, and that customer, who sold it to me, did not disclose that. This excellent technician was able to cold set that frame with no resulting cracks or blemishes. And a 130 mm wheel slips right in!

If you are referring to my Tesch, then yes, it required re-spacing in order for the DA 7700 hubs I was using to be able to easily fit. As I said, that was handled by the folks that powder coated the frame.
Old 06-29-22, 07:46 AM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by SJX426
BMC_Kid
Red and black are the bomb!
When I did the DeRosa, I was conflicted to go with bling or black. Because the bike has chrome CS and white decals, I had to take those into consideration.
When the wheels showed up for sale, I could not pass them up with Record hubs and a 10 speed cassette attached. That set the tone. I also tried silver brakes and had AL post and stem. The succumbed to the dark side.
I think the balance is pretty good for black, chrome, red and white.
De Rosa in Riding configuraton on Flickr

I would ride yours!
Beautiful bike! That 10-speed SR/R group definitely lends itself to a blending of the silver anodized and black/carbon components more than the current generation of 11-speed SR/R.
Old 06-29-22, 07:51 AM
alexihnen 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 200 Posts
I love everything about this. I have a Tesch 101 with 7400 and it's a total joy to ride. In the wings is a retromod Gangl. The frame is from 1984 and has been set to 130mm. I have a DA 10 speed downube group ready to go on it. Sharing this will hopefully get me to start on the project!
Old 06-29-22, 08:06 AM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by alexihnen
I love everything about this. I have a Tesch 101 with 7400 and it's a total joy to ride. In the wings is a retromod Gangl. The frame is from 1984 and has been set to 130mm. I have a DA 10 speed downube group ready to go on it. Sharing this will hopefully get me to start on the project!
Thanks! If I had a 101, I would not have gone down the road of the black components. I would have used another silver Athena 11-speed group like my Zullo build. I felt the Tesch S-22 out of all of my vintage frames, lent itself to a modern carbon/black group than any that I cared to modernize. I have a Tesch build Specialized Team Allez all original 7400 8-speed DA. I would never drop a bunch of carbon parts on it!

Of course, Dura-Ace is nothing to sneeze at but after the 7700 group, I kind of lost interest in where their design was going. The functionality of DA can't be beaten for sure.
Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 06-29-22, 09:26 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by Road Fan

My S-22 is 124mm and "aligned", I paid a pittance for it compared to that $2-3k valuation. On the west coast, not worth shipping.
Old 06-29-22, 09:30 AM
repechage

When I had the frame refinished by Spectrum Powder Coating in Colorado Springs, they re-spaced the rear triangle and checked it for cracks afterwards and before respray. Those chainstays are pretty stout but if you do a search for Tesch S-22, you’ll come across a restored example that needed new chainstays due to cracks just after the reinforcement bridge behind the bottom bracket lug. Other than the 80s neon hot pink and mint green fade paint job, my frame needed no work other than typical paint prep.
Thanks. There is a huge amount of brass at that bottom bracket junction. Tesch basically took a standard cast bottom bracket and fit the tubes and stays OVER the spigots.
It is stiff. Not as stiff as an early Klein, but stout. Not a fan of the unicrown fork design but how is was made.

Weight? not part of the design brief.
Old 06-29-22, 11:57 AM
merziac

Tx, that Strawberry was built by Dave Levy at At Ticycles when he was working on the Tesch after Andy at Strawberry bowed out. They and Tesch, RIP are 3 of the best examples of custom builders we have and had.

Nevermind Merz and DiNucci....
Old 06-29-22, 02:21 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
My S-22 is 124mm and "aligned", I paid a pittance for it compared to that $2-3k valuation. On the west coast, not worth shipping.
The 2 to 3k was for my Terraferma, just a few years old at the time. Now they are much less “special,” it seems.