Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New member with a couple diamonds (to me) in the rough

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-12, 09:48 AM
geekinsyde

Bikes: 2010 Trek 3700 Grey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hello all...well thought I'd get back into bicycling...not much of a mountain bike person....and want more than a single speed...so been scouring for free bikes and was able to get a Schwinn Suburban I think? and a Sears Ted Williams Free Spirit 10 speed for FREE. They both look like they've been sitting outside in the elements so the cables are rusted in but the hardware except the chain all look to be in good shape....luckily the Schwinn was painted like this Forest Green over the original paint....so I've started with some Mineral oil and a brush to try and get the old paint off...so far I got enough off to see Schwinn Suburban....however it seems as though it has parts of a Schwinn Varsity? Dunno...that's why I'm here....Looking to fix these up and get on the road!
Old 07-21-12, 09:56 AM
geekinsyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's some more info on the Schwinn:
Rims - Schwinn Tubular S-6
Fork - 369135
Pedals - Made in Germany
Hubs - Made in France
Derailer - Authentic Schwinn
Brakes - DIA-COMPE

I believe I looked up the serial with started with DG and it's around a 1971 model...

So...it's got tons of spray paint over the original....and I want to try and get it off.....however some of the original paint in areas, especially in the forks are going to need a complete repaint.....which I don't want to do...however don't want it to rust either....the original paint is like a forest green metallic....so nice...
Old 07-21-12, 10:09 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Liked 226 Times in 129 Posts
Post some pictures ... we L-O-V-E pictures! If it is a 1971 Schwinn it should be very easy to work on, and the chrome is almost indestructable ... although you should be somewhat gentle with it.
Old 07-21-12, 10:40 AM
geekinsyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's completely disassembled...except for the crank shaft part....it's not wanting to cooperate....I'll have to get pics of the frame....the Ted Williams I have some complete pics for....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0089.jpg (96.9 KB, 24 views)
IMG_0070.jpg (98.0 KB, 19 views)
IMG_0067.jpg (96.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 07-21-12, 03:12 PM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by geekinsyde
It's completely disassembled...except for the crank shaft part....it's not wanting to cooperate....I'll have to get pics of the frame....the Ted Williams I have some complete pics for....

The nut on the crank is reverse threaded, in case you didn't think of that already.