Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

New to the forum ... (as a member)

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-15, 10:01 AM
ElTejon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello,
Have been reading the forum for a long time to get information, ideas, opinions, reviews relating to my various bike obsessions. You all know A LOT about bikes. I am working on restoring an early 1970s Dawes Galaxy ... it's been such a blast I thought it would be fun to connect with others who have a thing for that era and style of bicycle. l Will post some pictures of the Galaxy and start a new thread on it or join other threads that are already on the forum--and that I've gotten so much good information from already.

About me: I've been riding and bike touring since I was a teenager (I'm older than my Dawes Galaxy). In college I worked during the summers leading high school kids on bicycle tours for American Youth Hostels. I led a few trips on the East Coast and then a cross country trip from New York City to San Francisco. Do kids go on trips like that anymore?

Have biked the Pacific Coast from Canada to the SF Bay Area (twice), through Montana (the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier Natl Park may be my all-time favorite single day of biking), Oregon, various parts of California, Europe, and even Morocco (solo) when I was much younger and more adventurous. Took a VERY long hiatus from biking from roughly age 25 to 45, at which point I got back into it heavily, and am now enjoying biking more than ever. My son has gotten the bug, too, and I'm eager to go touring with him when he's old and strong enough to safely ride a loaded bike. I ride a Lynskey titanium road bike for epic and less than epic day rides here in the San Francisco Bay Area (some of the best biking on the planet, especially in the Santa Cruz mountains), a Bruce Gordon BLT touring bike for touring and commuting, a Soma Double cross for my daily commute to work, and now the Dawes Galaxy, which I am totally smitten with ... the old components don't work nearly as well as modern stuff (IMHO), but it's so beautiful and fun to ride, that more than compensates ...

Nice to meet all of you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG2314.jpg (101.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 10-11-15, 08:02 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Hello ElTejon and Welcome to Bike Forums.

Old 10-11-15, 02:01 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums. If you qualify stop by the 50+ forum and say hello to the other old timers. I hang out there. I'm 70.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-11-15, 03:04 PM
BIGDCYCLES
Gravel Junkie

Bikes: GT type CX, FUJI Sandblaster Drop Bar conversion, Kink Williams BMX, Framed Defendant Pro 22" BMX, Custom Klunker

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Welcome! I am also in love with the way old bikes ride.
Old 10-11-15, 07:21 PM
ElTejon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Will be there in just a few months!
Old 10-12-15, 05:24 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)