Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

91 litespeed tachyon, need help with fork.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-15, 06:23 PM
dohc97 

Bikes: 87 centurion ironman expert, 86 team fuji, 90 litespeed tachyon, 87 bridgestone rb2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I dont know if this would be considered vintage but i recently bought a 91 tachyon with a kinesis aluminium fork. Looking for alternative fork options? I cant find much info on bike. I know its a 1" threaded fork. Anyone owned one previously? Suggestions? Not opposed to carbon
Old 10-09-15, 05:44 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
I've not owned one, but I have a nephew who works for Lynskey Performance Bikes in Chattanooga, TN, the family which started Litespeed. If you contact them with your serial number, they should be able to provide some information on your bike. They might also recommend a replacement fork. It doesn't appear they offer a 1" threaded fork, but I'd ask if they have anything which could work.

Nashbar sells a 1" threaded fork for a $100, which is not a bad price. Yesterday they had a $20 off coupon. That would have been a deal.

Is there a reason to replace the aluminum fork?

Pictures?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 10-11-15, 03:34 PM
dohc97 

Bikes: 87 centurion ironman expert, 86 team fuji, 90 litespeed tachyon, 87 bridgestone rb2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just realized i had a reply. i dont know what to make of an aluminum fork, when i first bought it i took it for a ride and did not like how it felt. Since then i found the headset was not in good shape, I just installed a new dura ace headset today and am in the process of installed more dura ace bits. i will make a decision on the fork once i get to ride it again. This picture is the best i can do right now. seat post, bars and stem are just mocked up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20151011_140928 (1024x576).jpg (41.0 KB, 89 views)
Old 10-11-15, 04:00 PM
Brewsmith 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1989 Centurion Ironman Expert, 1972 Motobecane Grand Jubilee

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 66 Posts
Wow, that's a wicked frame! Track drop outs? Sure will look pretty with a full Da setup. Can't really chime in on the fork issue other than my personal preference for steel and knowledge that ti forks exist :-)
Old 10-11-15, 04:40 PM
dohc97 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, this frame is awesome. Track drop outs and the s curve seat tube made me want it so bad. Its getting dura ace crank, bb, seat post, wheel hubs, pedals and brifters. Stem and bars are cinelli. Saddle will be a specialized romin evo pro in black. Bar tape will be black and cable housings yellow
Old 10-11-15, 07:04 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

I'd email the picture to Lynskey and ask what sort of fork was original equipment.

That is one fantastic looking frame which looks as if it is ready to fly! Can't wait to see it built out.

Old 10-11-15, 10:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I'd email the picture to Lynskey and ask what sort of fork was original equipment.

That is one fantastic looking frame which looks as if it is ready to fly! Can't wait to see it built out.
Here is the 1991 catalog that definitely shows the Tachyon with an aluminum fork.

https://mombat.org/MOMBAT/BikeHistory...speed-1991.pdf

I'm not sure I can feel the differences in forks, although I haven't ridden a Roubaix yet. I put a Schwinn aluminum fork on my Litespeed Frankenbuild. I suppose it is fine, although my gear attached to the handlebars can rattle a bit

Since the original build, I have sourced a Litespeed 1" CF fork for that bike, but I haven't decided if I wish to use it. Perhaps I'll try some ride comparisons... if I could feel it.

Anyway, Litespeed forks show up on E-Bay from time to time, both 1" threaded CF, and 1 1/8" threadless. Just keep your eyes open. Often they go for a "reasonable" amount.

Anyway, I think you're on the right track. Build up the bike as-is, and try it out. Then, if you don't like it, try sourcing a different fork, ether litespeed OEM, or other new or used 1" forks. Even 1" threadless forks if you wish.
Attached Images
ForgotTheFishingPole.jpg (100.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 10-12-15, 12:05 AM
look171

Bikes: Casati, Look, Torelli, Ridley, and a bunch of steel bikes from the 80s and the 90s..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Put a Carbon on that thing and let her rip down the mt road. I really like the old Kestral or Time carbon forks if period correctness is important to you. For me, any 1" stiff carbon fork from Kestral, Time of look will do. Alum forks are for the birds, IM stupid O.
Old 10-12-15, 07:39 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by look171
...Alum forks are for the birds, IM stupid O.
Why so?

I realize there were some aluminum forks which were flawed and needed to be recalled and trashed, but not all. Cannondale ran some nice aluminum forks on their road bikes in the early to mid '90s. I suppose C-Dale eventually felt the market pressure and replaced them with CF when they introduced the Time made "Slice" forks. I'm guessing LiteSpeed was under the same gun. I've ridden both aluminum and CF forks and can't tell the difference either (as @CliffordK mentions above).

FWIIW, I sold off my C-Dale CAAD4 with a CF fork and kept the '93 R600 2.8 with an aluminum fork. Like the ride better.

Old 10-12-15, 01:58 PM
dohc97 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Think ill be trying this fork first and going from there. Ran into a problem with my rear brake. Original was nutted, looks like ill need another front dura ace caliper to make this work.
Old 10-12-15, 10:22 PM
look171

Bikes: Casati, Look, Torelli, Ridley, and a bunch of steel bikes from the 80s and the 90s..

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Why so?

I realize there were some aluminum forks which were flawed and needed to be recalled and trashed, but not all. Cannondale ran some nice aluminum forks on their road bikes in the early to mid '90s. I suppose C-Dale eventually felt the market pressure and replaced them with CF when they introduced the Time made "Slice" forks. I'm guessing LiteSpeed was under the same gun. I've ridden both aluminum and CF forks and can't tell the difference either (as @CliffordK mentions above).

FWIIW, I sold off my C-Dale CAAD4 with a CF fork and kept the '93 R600 2.8 with an aluminum fork. Like the ride better.
Like I said, its only my opinion.

I just think there are so many better materials out there beside alum for a fork. Too soft and flexy or built them oversize, they are too harsh. Carbon is really the best materials for a fork IMO. When I got back on the bike after some 5-10 years of sitting on my ass, I pulled out my old steel bike and changed out the fork for a Time fork. This was about 2004. It was the best improvement to the bike. I have ridden those Vitus frame and forks. No fun. Now, of course there are those who like that feel or the die hard period correct, wax and shine guy out there. That's just not me. My opinion is that its a race bike, so install the best parts to make it a race bike. I would never have a alum forks on any of my bikes. I love alum bikes, but just not the fork.
Old 10-13-15, 06:48 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

...wax and shine guy out there....
Guilty!

I do ride quite a bit and log a decent amount of miles each year at an average pace of 10-13 mph. So--- I'm no racer and would never consider myself to be one. Keeping the aluminum fork on my C-Dale is as much as anything a practical decision.

I do get your point and it's a valid one. Now back to our OP....

Originally Posted by dohc97
Think ill be trying this fork first and going from there. Ran into a problem with my rear brake. Original was nutted, looks like ill need another front dura ace caliper to make this work.
Let us know how the aluminum fork rides.

That's a shame about the rear brake. Is there something about how the frame is made that required the nutted mounting? We still need more pictures of this beauty!

Old 10-13-15, 08:00 PM
dohc97 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i will break out the dslr soon for way better pictures. the rear brake bridge is round, no flat area for recessed nut and recessed nut does not fit through the holes. Best solution seems to be getting another front dura ace caliper and using the old nut with washers. I found the longer bolt by itself in England but seems like i would have to pay almost as much as buying another set. I intend to build this up further this weekend, maybe take it for a ride with just a front brake.
Old 10-13-15, 08:32 PM
Secret Squirrel

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
If you decide to replace the fork, Bikewagon lists a Ritchey comp carbon fork in 1 inch. It might be a good upgrade if the 43mm rake works with your head tube angle.
Old 10-14-15, 08:33 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Beautiful Frame!

CliffordK, those mombat.org catalog pics are great. Nice info. That was an awesome looking bike.
Looking forward to updates.
Cheers, Eric

Last edited by Last ride 76; 10-14-15 at 08:37 AM. Reason: correction...
Old 10-14-15, 08:49 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Like I said, its only my opinion.
I just think there are so many better materials out there beside alum for a fork. Too soft and flexy or built them oversize, they are too harsh. Carbon is really the best materials for a fork IMO. When I got back on the bike after some 5-10 years of sitting on my ass, I pulled out my old steel bike and changed out the fork for a Time fork. This was about 2004. It was the best improvement to the bike. I have ridden those Vitus frame and forks. No fun. Now, of course there are those who like that feel or the die hard period correct, wax and shine guy out there. That's just not me. My opinion is that its a race bike, so install the best parts to make it a race bike. I would never have a alum forks on any of my bikes. I love alum bikes, but just not the fork.
Now that's opening up a can of worms....

color and itallics added

Cheers, Eric
Old 10-14-15, 07:48 PM
dohc97 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
small update: just ordered another brake caliper set on Ebay, hopefully ill get them by monday or tuesday.
Old 01-26-16, 11:19 PM
kingfish254

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just found what appears to be a circa 90-93 Litespeed Tachyon with the straight seat tube and the same horizontal drops as yours
Attached Images
20160126_151402_003 - Copy.jpg (100.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-27-16, 12:20 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
CliffordK, those mombat.org catalog pics are great. Nice info. That was an awesome looking bike.
Looking forward to updates.
Cheers, Eric
I'm not sure who the comments were directed to.

My Litespeed above was built up from a bare frame last spring and is now my official winter beater bike. MTB frame for 26" wheels built up with 700c, and the Schwinn bonded aluminum fork. Slowly evolving, but nothing big.

As far as the catalog, I just found it online, but it helps confirm the original configuration, not that I would have any problems with someone building a bike like they want. The Litespeed frames make a great base.
Old 01-27-16, 06:43 AM
dohc97 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kingfish254
I just found what appears to be a circa 90-93 Litespeed Tachyon with the straight seat tube and the same horizontal drops as yours
Weird thing with that one is in the 90, 91 or 93 catalogs tachyons are not like yours. Im not sure if you have a newer frame where they went to straight tubing?
My tachyon is almost ready to get out on the road. Just going to finish some adjustments and put bar tape on and i promise ill get better pics.