Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Atb 2000 Pathfinder, any one know this bike/brand?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-20, 04:09 AM
CaptainPlanet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Any one got any info on this bike? Tried to google for any info about it but couldn't find any. Most of relevant search results seem to be in Canada. The parts on it are nothing to brag about. The caliper brakes don't even have adjustable springs. It's relatively heavy and has 26" steel wheels. Doesn't have any sticker about material composition so I am guessing it's nothing as fancy as CrMo.

The thing I really like about this bike is that it does have internal cable tubing which I am surprised to find on what looks like a department store bike. Solely because of this, I am considering upgrading it with actual decent caliper brakes and levers and swap in aluminum wheels to reduce the weight. Also thinking about upgrading the shifters because thumb shifters don't appeal to me.

But is it worth the effort? Does this bike have the value to dump cash on? Or should I search for some other vintage bike to work on?

Don't have a picture of it so here's a pic someone else's bike. Mine is another color and a bit more rusted than theirs.

Last edited by CaptainPlanet; 08-28-20 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-28-20, 07:12 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Looks to be in good shape, I would just tune it up and ride it. The side-pull brakes on an MTB are sort of a dead giveaway that it's not worth putting a ton of time and money into. Any MTB of that vintage that is worth upgrading would have cantilevers or V-brakes. The crankset it one of those old stamped one-piece things. It will still probably weigh a ton even if you ditch the steel wheels.

But that's not to say it's a *bad* bike, it just is what it is, really. It has a rigid fork--a big heavy suspension fork on a bike like this would almost certainly be low-end, and would just add weight to an already heavy bike. So that's a good thing. Could end up giving you or someone you know who needs a bike many miles of smiles. But no, it's not necessarily a bike that would take upgrades.
Old 08-28-20, 07:29 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Picture is of a department store level city bicycle. No proper ATB would use side pull brakes and what appears to be a double chainring crankset. This would weigh a lot. Steel rims, steel crankset, steel brakes, nutted hubs,nylon pedals, stamped dropouts. Derailleurs are low end. The only aluminum parts I see are the stem and possibly the brake levers. Almost certainly a carbon steel frame.

Internal brake cable is actually cheaper to manufacture when all you're doing is punching two holes in a tube and routing cable housing though the tube. There's no expensive brazing of cable stops or tunnels and and there's less cutting and capping of housing. It was quite common on entry level bicycles in the 1990s and 2000s.

This is the type of bicycle that you could find, pre-pandemic, at yard sales with a price tag of $20-$25 and sometimes walk away with for free. It's also the type that I donate to some child in need of a bicycle.
Old 08-28-20, 12:22 PM
CaptainPlanet

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Picture is of a department store level city bicycle. No proper ATB would use side pull brakes and what appears to be a double chainring crankset. This would weigh a lot. Steel rims, steel crankset, steel brakes, nutted hubs,nylon pedals, stamped dropouts. Derailleurs are low end. The only aluminum parts I see are the stem and possibly the brake levers. Almost certainly a carbon steel frame.

Internal brake cable is actually cheaper to manufacture when all you're doing is punching two holes in a tube and routing cable housing though the tube. There's no expensive brazing of cable stops or tunnels and and there's less cutting and capping of housing. It was quite common on entry level bicycles in the 1990s and 2000s.

This is the type of bicycle that you could find, pre-pandemic, at yard sales with a price tag of $20-$25 and sometimes walk away with for free. It's also the type that I donate to some child in need of a bicycle.
The bike actually looks like a hybrid bike to me because of the vintage design of the fork, was even considering converting it to a road bike because I have a spare vintage drop bars. It's also using long caliper brakes so I thought maybe even 700c wheels could fit by changing the brake to short calipers. Just saw the Sportek brand sticker on the bike in this picture, now I know for sure it's not worth the effort.

Last edited by CaptainPlanet; 08-28-20 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-05-20, 03:08 PM
mattje

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have this bike - picked it up 10 years ago for $40 on Kijiji.

I attached a large milk crate and have been using it as a cargo bike ever since.

This summer, as my road bike needed work, i completed a century ride on it(yes 100 miles/160kms).

It's such a great ride - no issues.

But to your point - all I also found was that it was from a Canadian Dept store.

(I was trying to post a picture, but apparently i'm too much of a noob here - but it's the green version.)
Old 11-06-20, 04:53 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by mattje
I have this bike - picked it up 10 years ago for $40 on Kijiji.

I attached a large milk crate and have been using it as a cargo bike ever since.

This summer, as my road bike needed work, i completed a century ride on it(yes 100 miles/160kms).

It's such a great ride - no issues.

But to your point - all I also found was that it was from a Canadian Dept store.

(I was trying to post a picture, but apparently i'm too much of a noob here - but it's the green version.)
Welcome to the forums. Pathfinder was a brand in the Sportek line of sporting goods marketed by the Hudson's Bay Company in their The Bay and Zellers chain department stores. If you post the serial number, we may be able to determine the manufacturer and/or year.

The photograph of your bicycle leaves a lot to be desired (and seen). Did you name it Wilson?
Old 11-06-20, 08:35 AM
mattje

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike is shy, but it's basically the same as the green one in the picture already posted by CaptainPlanet.

The serial number is 8H5nnnn

Thanks!