Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Raise my handle bars help

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-21, 06:58 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts

68 years old and have been having some neck pain after a long ride. If I move my hands to my fingers tips to steer the pain/strain goes away. So, I would like to raise them about 3 inches. Here is a link to my handle bar and stem. I looked at an adjustable stem and then saw this:

https://www.deitycomponents.com/high...ebar_80mm.html

Any advice on the best way to do this?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3frjn3y3v...zx8_WAPSa?dl=0
Old 05-17-21, 07:05 PM
darkhorse75

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
It's just a simple swap. Remove grips then brake levers and shifters. remove the face plate from the stem, swap bars over and reinstall brake levers shifters and grips. The only problem that might occur is that cables may be too short for the extra 80mm rise. Be careful not to over torque the face plate bolts.
Old 05-17-21, 08:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,876 Times in 2,315 Posts
Generally it's the front brake cable that needs replacement when the controls are raised (with the higher bar position) before the shift cables or rear brake's.

Do know that by raising your hands and your upper body the body's bio mechanics for pedaling are changed too. We often find the need to reposition the seat more rearward to try to re establish the muscle groups relationships. This is where may riders find it helpful to have a pro fitter help them work through the options and possible solutions.

I should have looked at the links before hitting "post"... The bars shown are quire wide. I wonder how wide the current ones are and whether either best matched the OP's shoulder width. Andy
Old 05-17-21, 08:44 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Generally it's the front brake cable that needs replacement when the controls are raised (with the higher bar position) before the shift cables or rear brake's.

Do know that by raising your hands and your upper body the body's bio mechanics for pedaling are changed too. We often find the need to reposition the seat more rearward to try to re establish the muscle groups relationships. This is where may riders find it helpful to have a pro fitter help them work through the options and possible solutions.

I should have looked at the links before hitting "post"... The bars shown are quire wide. I wonder how wide the current ones are and whether either best matched the OP's shoulder width. Andy
My current bars are around 27 inches(686mm). 760mm on the new one(about 3 inches longer). I read you can cut them to size.
Old 05-17-21, 09:00 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by themp
My current bars are around 27 inches(686mm). 760mm on the new one(about 3 inches longer). I read you can cut them to size.
Easiest way is a plumbing metal pipe cutter. Looking at the dropbox pics you will probably have to re-cable everything, doesn't seem like there's a lot of play in any of the lines. You have it easier with lock on grips, just unbolt and off they come. Easiest is to cut bars to width if you like the old width. loosen the grips, levers, and shifters; unbolt the bars, pull them up about 3" and see if the cables reach that, if so slide off one side and install on the new bar, do the other side and then bolt the bar back into the stem. Sometimes when cables are close to too short, they won't slide onto the bar while it is bolted in place. This solves that, if a cable is too short disconnect it before bolting into place.
Position your bar to taste, usually back a couple degrees on a riser bar but shouldn't be too much, and tighten. Properly position the grips and tighten, position the brake levers, usually 30-45 degrees down from horizontal which helps the wrist, again, no exact right way just what's most comfortable for your reach and position. Tighten shifters last and re-cable any you had to disconnect.
Old 05-17-21, 10:56 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,876 Times in 2,315 Posts
Before you cut any bars be sure to confirm that the levers, shifters and grips will still fit on the reduced end lengths. Many riser bars we deal with have little added straight end lengths. Our sales and fitters have had to heed this advise before Andy