Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Talk me out of Frame Mounted Front Racks

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Talk me out of Frame Mounted Front Racks

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-23, 08:16 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by aerohorst
To be clear, I don't ride with the seatpost as you see it in that picture when riding in the city. That setting is for using the triathlon style aero bars and it just happened to be in that setting when I took the picture. For touring I had used this bike (set up with a higher front end...). I think I know the factors contributing to lower back pain and how to remedy it. But thanks for the concern!
the UCI would not be happy with you herr aerohorst!
( they are the body that runs professional bike racing and set the rules, one of which is that seats must be level. They brought this about because of the positioning with TT bikes and aerobars etc )
Old 04-07-23, 06:07 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I experienced problems with a handlebar mounted bag on downhill sections with fork oscillation. I have never felt the need for front panniers as I do not need to take that much stuff. Maybe if going to Alaska or South America I might want more clothing options and hiking boots but otherwise there is no need.

I have had strong crosswinds move my bike suddenly a couple feet onto the roadway and was fortunate that no cars were around at the time. And that was with only the rear panniers and a sleeping bag on the rear of the bike.

My first long trip was with 25 lbs of gear on the bike. My second trip was with a 15 lb load and on subsequent trips I took even less with me. That included tools, a Svea stove, and a fuel bottle with white gas.
Old 05-01-23, 04:38 PM
Xavier65

Bikes: Saracen Conquest. Claud Butler Majestic. Viking VK500. Crossmaxx 28" Pinion.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Let's not forget the static effect of front panniers, i.e. front wheel flop when stationary.

A headset based turn limiter is very useful in limiting the fully loaded front wheel from turning beyond 80 degrees (to avoid graunching headlight and/or stretching cables, wiring, brake lines, etc.). The only time you need a sharper turn is if you are performing in a circus ring.

There are at least three headset based turn limiters available:

sjscycles.co.uk/frames/thorn-steering-lock-limiter-striker-for-stepped-395-365-mm-head-tubes-1-18-steerers/?geoc=FR
decathlon.fr/p/jeu-de-direction-semi-integre-avec-butees-1-5-1-1-8-pivot-conique/_/R-p-333414?mc=8646325
acros-components.com BlockLock
Old 05-01-23, 05:47 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
This all begs the question of how much stuff you need to carry on a bike. 50 years ago I had to be entirely self sufficient in every respect with few places to stop for food nearing camp sites and no bike shops enroute for parts or repairs. Totally different today where I can stay at motels and afford to eat in restaurants and there are bike shops in most towns. The new mountain bike SPD shoes work well enough for walking so no need to bring a pair of tennis or walking shoes. My clincher tires are much less likely to have a flat then my old tubular sewup tires.

The more cubic inches of available space the more weight the load will be and that will result in more air drag and more weight to haul up every grade. Suggest that after your first trip to then consider how much of what you hauled along was actually needed and take less on your subsequent trips.