Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike shoe covers, do I need them?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bike shoe covers, do I need them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-23, 08:40 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by HendersonD
I have done a good bit of long distance hiking. Long distance hikers never use leather boots and nearly all never use boots with fabric uppers. They use trail shoes that in essence are sneakers with a bit beefier sole. This saves weight and also shoes like this do dry out quickly. The same idea about faster drying bike shoes is applicable as others have pointed out
I'll have to tell my sister she's not a long distance hiker. She went through three pairs of hiking shoes/boots before she found a good pair of leather boots, then finished the last half of the AT on those. 2019, so perhaps you consider that ancient history.
Old 05-01-23, 10:32 AM
HendersonD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'll have to tell my sister she's not a long distance hiker. She went through three pairs of hiking shoes/boots before she found a good pair of leather boots, then finished the last half of the AT on those. 2019, so perhaps you consider that ancient history.
The vast majority of thru hikers on both the AT and PCT do not wear leather boots, your sister is the exception. There is a great site that has surveys from thru hikers going back a bunch of years. Based on these surveys the site posts the most common gear and by far sneaker type shoes with just slightly beefier soles are the preferred shoe. Yes, you will go through multiple pairs but the weight savings with every step and the ability of them to dry quickly makes them the overwhelming choice
Old 05-01-23, 10:33 AM
HendersonD

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Bizzare, I did not quote you and you think I was addressing you when I specifically addressed "OP"

I gave the cheap and the expensive solution to an obvious problem that the OP doesn't quite see. There is a good chance he will be cold and wet in the East, $25 on a cheap set of rain pants can be trashed or sent home. OP wasn't very specific why he does not have much gear. I suspect he wants to go very light, thus, I gave the light solution and the cheap solution. As to your wise comment about middle class, my income doesn't come close to middle class and in fact could qualify for food stamps. I just learned to cry once when buying gear.
Here is my full packing list, I am trying to pack light
https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/.../packing-list/
Old 05-01-23, 11:27 AM
HendersonD

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I spent the last two days riding in the rain......with rain pants.

OP, you really need to think that one thru. It can be cool/cold/wet in the Appalachians and Ozarks and cold early morning in the Western mountains

As a young lad, I toured without rain pants and did one 4 week stretch where it rained every single day.....hard. My thick merino wool Sergal tights never left my skin. I had no money and goretex pants did not exist. Being wet all the time didn't seem bad at the time.

I put my goretex shakedry jacket and Assos rain pants into a 2.8L Cyclite frame bag, all in it weighs just over a pound and there is still room with them tightly rolled. About as light (and expensive) as possible, if weight and space are your primary concerns. If money, ignore what I wrote.

Maybe a cheap pair of the Frog Todds made for cycling until you get past Newton. You can always mail them home.
I decided to purchase a pair of rain pants from REI but decided not to purchase shoe covers. Like you said, I can always send home items if need be
Old 05-01-23, 12:09 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
The vast majority of thru hikers on both the AT and PCT do not wear leather boots, your sister is the exception. There is a great site that has surveys from thru hikers going back a bunch of years. Based on these surveys the site posts the most common gear and by far sneaker type shoes with just slightly beefier soles are the preferred shoe. Yes, you will go through multiple pairs but the weight savings with every step and the ability of them to dry quickly makes them the overwhelming choice
And some hikers in flip-flops develop stress fractures in their feet and have to quit, while some upgrade their footwear as they go. Absolutes like "Long distance hikers never use leather boots" are easily disproved. While a lot of hikers do go with lighter footwear, some (especially older) hikers learn the benefits of adequate foot support. FWIW, she finished the AT!
Old 05-01-23, 01:11 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
And some hikers in flip-flops develop stress fractures in their feet and have to quit, while some upgrade their footwear as they go. Absolutes like "Long distance hikers never use leather boots" are easily disproved. While a lot of hikers do go with lighter footwear, some (especially older) hikers learn the benefits of adequate foot support. FWIW, she finished the AT!
I would never try backpacking in sandals, other than for fording a stream.

BUT, I met this guy on my first day hiking a year and a half ago, we both started on the same day. Wearing sandals while backpacking. He was carrying his hiking boots in his pack, just in case he needed them later. This is not the AT, this trail is a bit under 400 miles, he was through hiking. Ran into him again after about 100 miles, which was when I took the photo. He stopped to get more water before continuing to hike that day, it was late afternoon and he had more miles to go.

I was amazed that he could backpack with sandals, but he did. I know I never could. But at least he had his boots as a backup contingency plan.

Old 05-01-23, 01:23 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
.... There is a great site that has surveys from thru hikers going back a bunch of years. Based on these surveys the site posts the most common gear and by far sneaker type shoes with just slightly beefier soles are the preferred shoe. Yes, you will go through multiple pairs but the weight savings with every step and the ability of them to dry quickly makes them the overwhelming choice
Maybe I am just too old school in this philosophy of treating your footwear like an expendable to wear out and replace several times on something like the AT.

Photo from 2011:

Photo below from 2022 (on the shore of Lake Superior), the toes show a lot more wear a decade later:

Old 05-01-23, 02:32 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I decided to purchase a pair of rain pants from REI but decided not to purchase shoe covers. Like you said, I can always send home items if need be
Remember that there is another side to that coin. You can buy things or have them sent to you as well. Starting out with a lot of stuff makes it likely that you will finish with a lot of stuff even if you trim back a bit as you go. Try to get it right on the first try then adjust when you do get it wrong. Don't let the ability to mail stuff home be a reason to overpack (or less likely underpack). Once on the road a while do use it to correct packing mistakes or adjust for seasonal or geograpic differences.

Here is my full packing list, I am trying to pack light
https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/.../packing-list/
It doesn't look unreasonable weight wise for fully loaded standards and may be right for you, but I wouldn't call it light. BTW, I'd really miss the ability to have hot food. I guess you are okay with that, but even when I cut the base weight to a very low level I still maintain that ability. When my combined bike and gear weight was 38 and 40 pounds (plus food and water) on a on off road tour and on the Southern Tier in Feb-Mar respectively I still carried and used a stove.

Last edited by staehpj1; 05-01-23 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-01-23, 02:44 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Re weight. My North Face rain pants fold fairly flat and are pretty light. Don't recall the weight in grams, but totally worth having for when caught in a cold rain storm.
You'd be surprised how even in summer big storms can bring the temps down and getting soaked through is not very pleasant and you can get really chilled.
No fun and for me, not worth it.
Old 05-01-23, 04:35 PM
HendersonD

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Remember that there is another side to that coin. You can buy things or have them sent to you as well. Starting out with a lot of stuff makes it likely that you will finish with a lot of stuff even if you trim back a bit as you go. Try to get it right on the first try then adjust when you do get it wrong. Don't let the ability to mail stuff home be a reason to overpack (or less likely underpack). Once on the road a while do use it to correct packing mistakes or adjust for seasonal or geograpic differences.

It doesn't look unreasonable weight wise for fully loaded standards and may be right for you, but I wouldn't call it light. BTW, I'd really miss the ability to have hot food. I guess you are okay with that, but even when I cut the base weight to a very low level I still maintain that ability. When my combined bike and gear weight was 38 and 40 pounds (plus food and water) on a on off road tour and on the Southern Tier in Feb-Mar respectively I still carried and used a stove.
Wow, that is quite light
My bike weighs 36 pounds unloaded so I am not sure how you got your bike plus your gear down to 40 pounds
I did a 2 week bike tour in October and carried almost exactly the same load then and it seemed fine. In fact the only new piece I am adding since that tour are the waterproof pants
Old 05-01-23, 04:51 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
One very old school trick to stay warm is...

thin pair of socks + sandwich bags + thicker socks + shoes

​​​​​​The first two layers acts on the wetsuit principle - a wet layer close to the skin that the body warms up but does not chill (evaporative cooling) thanks to the sandwich bags.

works in a pinch.
Old 05-01-23, 05:27 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Remember that there is another side to that coin. You can buy things or have them sent to you as well.
I've done this a few times.
On my first trip across the US (1992), I was having problems with tires and had my parents send a replacement tire to Miles City, MT general delivery.
On a trip from Abilene to the Canadian border (2018), my tires were more worn than I expected. I ordered on Amazon and had them sent to a sport shop in Liberal Kansas
On my current trip, I am experimenting with Amazon lockers.
Old 05-01-23, 05:53 PM
HendersonD

Here is the survey
https://www.halfwayanywhere.com/trai...de-2022/#shoes

Direct quote
The overwhelming majority (over 99%) of hikers used low-top trail runners. Similarly, only a fraction of a percent of hikers used waterproof versions of shoes.
Old 05-02-23, 04:59 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Wow, that is quite light
My bike weighs 36 pounds unloaded so I am not sure how you got your bike plus your gear down to 40 pounds
I did a 2 week bike tour in October and carried almost exactly the same load then and it seemed fine. In fact the only new piece I am adding since that tour are the waterproof pants
The main thing is that it works for you.

I have done a variety of approaches. My first tour was the Trans America and I packed pretty heavy. I mailed stuff home a few times. Each trip after that was lighter. I found that I enjoyed a lighter load more than I enjoyed having more gear so I gradually moved to what was essentially using an approach that approximated ultralight backpacking. It was a gradual process over a number of years. I suspect that I have gone too far for most folks, but that a lot would really enjoy going down to about 20 pounds or so base if they gave it a chance.

I never really liked riding a touring bike as compared to something sportier, so taking my old 1990 crit race bike with 14# of gear on the Southern Tier was a joy. I got a similar kick out of riding my old 1990 rigid MTB race bike when I did an on/off road tourwith very little gear.

These days after fighting to lose every ounce I have added a little extra weight to the load. I am likely to take either a larger tarp than I used to take or a 1 pound 14 ounce tent. I am also more likely to splurge on an extra item for another activity than I used to be especially if the pace will be casual or the climbs easy. For example, I have been known to carry a fly rod when backpacking (and still be carrying less than everyone i meet).

BTW, I don't advise doing without stuff you need. In fact in camp I typically find that the folks carrying more usually wind up relying on me for stuff they forgot or can't find. Maybe it is just easier for me to find stuff when I have so little to sort through.