Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New bike day goes wrong

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New bike day goes wrong

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-23, 03:37 PM
Trey83
Ride 2 wheels

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
This 110%. First and foremost, don't start off with a bike the wrong size. You'll regret it for years, or til you get rid of it. Second, while you can make a too-small frame work, a too-large frame will always be a problem.

Finally, though, it's pretty insulting to go to the LBS and ask them to fix a problem you wouldn't have had if you just bought your bike from them in the first place. If they're a good shop, they'll do the work, but I wouldn't expect any breaks on price.

BB
I agree 100%. I typically buy local as I have with all of my previous bikes. I would have paid full price for the bike fit regardless of the outcome. It just doesn’t make sense to knowingly try to make the wrong size work. It was just a knee jerk reaction in a moment of frustration. I only went with the Canyon because they are a reputable company and I felt this spec Endurace was a great value. (Carbon, 105 Di2 for 2699 plus shipping).

Originally Posted by thin_concrete
OP said the label on the box indicated the bike was a small. This seems like a genuine mixup. If Canyon was doing this en masse, not by accident on a few orders, I’m sure the internet would know about it and Canyon would be apologizing on all of its umpteen social media outlets.
you misread one of my posts. I ordered a small and the box and bike that showed up were medium. I am quite confident it was a mistake.
Likes For Trey83:
Old 07-12-23, 03:48 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
File this under "the number one reason why buying from your LBS is a great idea."
Oh good point, a bike shop has never pushed a customer into buying a bike in stock vs ordering one in the correct size. And a bike shop has never pulled stock parts off a bike to swap for something else, and then replaced with lower spec. ***

I could go on and on, or we could agree that people make mistakes, whether they work for a DTC brand or in a shop.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-12-23, 03:56 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Oh good point, a bike shop has never pushed a customer into buying a bike in stock vs ordering one in the correct size. And a bike shop has never pulled stock parts off a bike to swap for something else, and then replaced with lower spec. ***

I could go on and on, or we could agree that people make mistakes, whether they work for a DTC brand or in a shop.
Wow, you've had some terrible experiences. I've been in and out of bike shops since the 1970s, and have never had that kind of experience.

Of course, even if you do find a bad bike shop, you do still have the option of test riding a bike or walking out the door empty handed if they can't give you what you want. If the shop simply makes a mistake, you can fix the problem right then and there.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 07-12-23, 05:02 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I don't think the substitution happened in the US. Regardless of the motive or intentionality, I think it is safe to assume it happened where it was manufactured. In other words, whomever did it doesn't directly have to answer for it.
I have no idea how you came up with any of these assumptions. I would simply take it at face value ie they accidentally shipped the wrong box. Anything deliberate seems highly unlikely to me.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-12-23, 05:03 PM
PeteHski

Double post - deleted
Old 07-12-23, 05:12 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 1,804 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I have no idea how you came up with any of these assumptions. I would simply take it at face value ie they accidentally shipped the wrong box. Anything deliberate seems highly unlikely to me.
I'm assuming they don't box them in San Diego, but I may be wrong.

I'm (obviously) speculating about the intentionality.

I was very familiar with the case where General Motors put Chevy engines in their Oldsmobiles deliberately, so I recognize that not everything is accidental.
Old 07-12-23, 06:01 PM
PeteHski

I'm assuming they don't box them in San Diego, but I may be wrong.

I'm (obviously) speculating about the intentionality.

I was very familiar with the case where General Motors put Chevy engines in their Oldsmobiles deliberately, so I recognize that not everything is accidental.
Well you could never “accidentally” fit the wrong engine to a car. Equating that sort of mass deception with Canyon shipping the wrong sized frame to a customer is ridiculous.

To do something wrong deliberately you need a motive, which I presume GM had in their case. But I don’t see any motive for Canyon to deliberately ship the wrong frame size. So I would assume it was just a dumb mistake somewhere along the line.
Old 07-12-23, 06:09 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

The motive would be to sell a bike now, rather than later. I'm not suggesting that actually happened. I am speculating that it could have happened, in exactly the same way a LBS can push someone to buy a bike that is not their size so that they can move the inventory. (Canyon, to their credit, strongly discourages buying a bike that is not the recommended size.)

Nonetheless, Canyon made a mistake (or whatever), not the OP. That much is completely unambiguous. They should do something more than simply allow him to return the bike, get on a waiting list, and meanwhile have him hope that they don't find a scratch on the frame or some other reason to deny him a full refund.
Old 07-12-23, 06:49 PM
PeteHski

The motive would be to sell a bike now, rather than later. I'm not suggesting that actually happened. I am speculating that it could have happened, in exactly the same way a LBS can push someone to buy a bike that is not their size so that they can move the inventory. (Canyon, to their credit, strongly discourages buying a bike that is not the recommended size.)

Nonetheless, Canyon made a mistake (or whatever), not the OP. That much is completely unambiguous. They should do something more than simply allow him to return the bike, get on a waiting list, and meanwhile have him hope that they don't find a scratch on the frame or some other reason to deny him a full refund.
I don’t think Canyon are that desperate to shift stock, or dumb enough to think sending the wrong size without warning might actually work. It’s a bit different at the LBS when there is a sales guy trying to convince you that the bike they have in stock is the right size, even if it isn’t. Of course a reputable shop wouldn’t do that either.

I’m also going to bet that the OP gets a full refund unless they took a baseball bat to the frame out of frustration.
Old 07-12-23, 06:58 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I don’t think Canyon are that desperate to shift stock, or dumb enough to think sending the wrong size without warning might actually work. It’s a bit different at the LBS when there is a sales guy trying to convince you that the bike they have in stock is the right size, even if it isn’t. Of course a reputable shop wouldn’t do that either.

I’m also going to bet that the OP gets a full refund unless they took a baseball bat to the frame out of frustration.
OK, I am not asserting that this is the case. Somewhere back there, you or someone said it was implausible. It is not. It might very well be wrong. If it is right, I doubt it was a decision made by the CEO and board of directors.

It is odd that we are asked to give Canyon the benefit of the doubt, when Canyon seems a bit reluctant to give the benefit of the doubt to the OP (but it sounds like they came around). The part about the return inspection is what would have annoyed me.

Hopefully you are right.

They treated us well (once we got past the phone tree).
Old 07-12-23, 07:01 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Wow, you've had some terrible experiences. I've been in and out of bike shops since the 1970s, and have never had that kind of experience..
I have. I wound up giving the bike away to my kid's (starving) flute teacher. It has put me off Trek, and prior to that I was a customer since near the beginning (1981) and a slobbering fan.

I don't think it is that infrequent in a high-pressure sales environment. I "should have" known better, but they worked their magic.
Old 07-12-23, 07:59 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Interesting argument. On par or exceeding the normal BF 'Argument Room" tradition. I TOLD YOU ONCE! One speculator arguing with another and another. But I have skimmed most of it (mostly to find out about the OP's actual customer service experience), so what does that say about me?
Old 07-12-23, 08:17 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,309 Times in 2,949 Posts
The motive would be to sell a bike now, rather than later. I'm not suggesting that actually happened. I am speculating that it could have happened...
Actually, you stated that it was more realistic that Canyon tried to do something underhanded than it was that they made a simple error.
Old 07-13-23, 03:59 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Actually, you stated that it was more realistic that Canyon tried to do something underhanded than it was that they made a simple error.
That's what I thought was absurd. The idea that someone at Canyon made a conscious decision to ship the wrong frame just to make a sale is laughable. But I always underestimate the level of cynicism in the world today.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-13-23, 04:25 AM
PeteHski

It is odd that we are asked to give Canyon the benefit of the doubt, when Canyon seems a bit reluctant to give the benefit of the doubt to the OP (but it sounds like they came around). The part about the return inspection is what would have annoyed me.

Hopefully you are right.

They treated us well (once we got past the phone tree).
It is far more odd to suggest it wasn't a simple mistake in this case. But I suppose Occam's razor is less fashionable than conspiracy theory.

I also missed the part where Canyon were doubting the OP's claim that they sent the wrong frame? A return inspection would be a pain, but not unexpected on a $3k item. I could have predicted that from my own experience of returning high value items for whatever reason.

This is the small risk you accept when buying direct, but with a little patience things can usually be sorted out. The only problem I see in this case is lack of stock in the correct size, which could potentially lead to a lengthy delay. Canyon stock has been very patchy over the last few years, with inventory selling out very fast. I don't know if this is still a problem now.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-13-23, 06:59 AM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Trey83
you misread one of my posts. I ordered a small and the box and bike that showed up were medium. I am quite confident it was a mistake.
Thanks for clarifying. I did misread it.
Likes For thin_concrete:
Old 07-13-23, 09:20 AM
Trey83
Ride 2 wheels

I just dropped the bike off with FedEx. Now I am off to a few LBS to see if anything catches my eye.
Likes For Trey83:
Old 07-13-23, 09:25 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,309 Times in 2,949 Posts
I also missed the part where Canyon were doubting the OP's claim that they sent the wrong frame? A return inspection would be a pain, but not unexpected on a $3k item. I could have predicted that from my own experience of returning high value items for whatever reason.
The situation is really no different than with an LBS. If you called the LBS and told them they gave you the wrong item, they wouldn't issue a refund until you brought the item back.
Old 07-13-23, 03:55 PM
Trey83
Ride 2 wheels

Well I will keep the thread updated with the return process but I will not be purchasing another Endurace for the time being. I looked at 4 LBS’s today and came home with a Giant Defy Advanced 1. Not nearly the value of the Endurace but the shop that I purchased from offered amazing customer service and the bike was really impressive on the test ride.

Last edited by Trey83; 07-13-23 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-13-23, 05:13 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,187 Times in 2,226 Posts
Well I will keep the thread updated with the return process but I will not be purchasing another Endurance for the time being. I looked at 4 LBS’s today and came home with a Giant Defy Advanced 1. Not nearly the value of the Endurance but the shop that I purchased from offered amazing customer service and the bike was really impressive on the test ride.

Congrats on the giant!
Old 07-13-23, 05:57 PM
PeteHski

Well I will keep the thread updated with the return process but I will not be purchasing another Endurance for the time being. I looked at 4 LBS’s today and came home with a Giant Defy Advanced 1. Not nearly the value of the Endurance but the shop that I purchased from offered amazing customer service and the bike was really impressive on the test ride.
I have both a Giant Defy (Advanced Pro 2) and an Endurace ( CF SL8 Etap) and the fit is almost identical in my size L. I have to say I prefer the Endurace, but mainly because it has a higher component spec. They ride much the same otherwise. Sounds like you got a good deal. Enjoy!
Old 07-13-23, 06:50 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Well I will keep the thread updated with the return process but I will not be purchasing another Endurace for the time being. I looked at 4 LBS’s today and came home with a Giant Defy Advanced 1. Not nearly the value of the Endurace but the shop that I purchased from offered amazing customer service and the bike was really impressive on the test ride.
Congrats! Well done.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 07-13-23, 07:04 PM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
could you please post pictures of your new Defy?
Likes For ussprinceton:
Old 07-13-23, 07:08 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I suppose Occam's razor is less fashionable than conspiracy theory..
Occam's Razor asserts that all other things being equal, we should favor the hypothesis with the fewest ad hoc assumptions.

Perhaps it is an ad hoc assumption for you to assume Canyon will behave differently from other businesses, such as LBS and GM.
Old 07-13-23, 07:24 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
I don't think the substitution happened in the US. Regardless of the motive or intentionality, I think it is safe to assume it happened where it was manufactured. In other words, whomever did it doesn't directly have to answer for it.
You're just going all in with this aren't you.
Likes For teejaywhy:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.