Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Ritchey Outback Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-23, 07:18 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by YK_
Again, all I'm trying to do is highlight that people don't need to spend a fortune to build up a great steel gravel/cx bike.
You are correct. "Great" is kind of the catch 22 here. as is "need". I guess I define "need" different also.

I do agree with you a less expensive frame can be great. Depends on how we define great.

Personally I dig cannondale himod carbon, I think the affordable cannondale carbon , while great, are piles of dog doo in comparison. Heaps other people will tell you they never know the difference. I van flick it and hear the difference.

Verbiage? i suppose I should be careful with that... as Yea I find my self dogging on lots of bikes simply because I've had nicer. But thats all relative too. Something to consider before I post.

Surly has some great stigmas. It's a frame that is going to last etc...

As for the midnight special. Give me one with true thru axle, 853 tubing. I know which one I'm buying.
I've different "needs".

Same as surly corner bar. "Great idea, great concept, but I'll go buy the carbon knock off. *shrugs*

Last edited by Metieval; 10-18-23 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-18-23, 08:29 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Bikes: 78 raleigh competition 70's Gitane Hosteller, '85 StumpJumper, 90's Rockhopper Commuter, '68 Raleigh Sports, 2018 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 39 Posts
I recently bought a Ritchey Outback and very much enjoy it! As for the debate about how "worth it" it is... I think its like a luxury/sports car vs a more common economic car, like is that worth it? In SO many ways a Honda Accord is better than an NSX, but does that mean the additional money you're paying for the NSX is not worth it? I agree with Metieval , it just depends on what you want...or at least THINK you want. All honesty when looking at all the great steel bikes out there right now, I went 100% with looks (in my opinion of course). Go with whatever gets you more excited about riding I guess.
Old 10-18-23, 09:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Yes, I brought up Rock Lobster because I happen to own one and because they’re the clear outlier, and no, forks aren’t included, which I pointed out in my post. So it’s incorrect to say a Rock Lobster is 19% more than a Ritchey. I do also strongly endorse Rock Lobster, by the way.
I could happily live with my current gravel bike for years to come, but it's been 4 years and the itch to simply try something new is definitely around right now.
I keep coming back to Zukas for the cool stays and paint, Scarab for the product quality and paint, Jeff Bock if I go retro and get rim brakes, or Rock Lobster for the established name and seafoam green color.

With the same geometry as I have now, a Rock Lobster in seafoam green with black fork could be so cool.
Old 10-19-23, 08:35 AM
2WheelWilly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a very nice build, RALEIGH_COMP . Can I ask what you went with for wheels, group, and stem?
Old 10-19-23, 11:50 AM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Bikes: 78 raleigh competition 70's Gitane Hosteller, '85 StumpJumper, 90's Rockhopper Commuter, '68 Raleigh Sports, 2018 Giant Talon 2

Originally Posted by 2WheelWilly
That's a very nice build, RALEIGH_COMP . Can I ask what you went with for wheels, group, and stem?
VO wheels, bars, seatpost, stem, and fenders.
Groupset is GRX810 limited
Old 10-19-23, 12:32 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by RALEIGH_COMP
I dig the limited edition groupset! I need to source the chain rings for my regular GRX810 gravel bike; I am partial to the silver rings on black cranks setup.
Old 10-19-23, 10:02 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by RALEIGH_COMP
VO wheels, bars, seatpost, stem, and fenders.
From Adrenaline Bikes?! Had seen a similar build on their site...
Old 10-19-23, 11:56 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Originally Posted by Caliwild
From Adrenaline Bikes?! Had seen a similar build on their site...
that's the one! Great shop, nice guys.