Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help finding Kestrel 4000 PRO SL seat part

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-24, 08:58 AM
mo211

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have links to both my bike and parts but as a new user I'm not allowed to post links. I apologize for the workaround I'm submitting. Thank you to the community.

I was gifted a Kestrel 4000 PRO SL (Kestrel bicycles -> 2012 -> Triathlon -> 4000 Pro SL Sram Red)

I went to my local shop for a fitting and was told it is missing the collar on the seat to adjust/set the seat height. I'm also not allowed to upload pictures but in doing my best to describe this, it is the clamp that holds the frame and the seat stem together.

It seems Kestrel has been purchased by another company and I'm hoping this forum can help me find the right part.

The seat post on the Kestrel site is described as "Kestrel Aero Carbon w/Ritchey Clamp System"

I believe I'm able to find this part but it has a couple of different sizes. I'm hoping for some guidance on what size I might need, and confirming I'm looking at the right thing. (Performancebike dot com search for RITCHEY WCS ALLOY 1-BOLT SEATPOST COMPLETE CLAMPSET)

Thank you.
Old 03-14-24, 10:06 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Difficult situation for you. Tri bike with an ovalized collar and low production quantities.
I recommend approaching Ritchey to see if they kept a stash.
I took the below screenshot of an old listing for the model from 2012.
Good luck...

Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 03-14-24, 10:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
You say your are looking for the collar to adjust the seat height. That's on the seat tube, not the seat post. The complete clamp set you list seems only to be for the clamp on the seat post to hold the saddle/seat and only really controls the tilt of the saddle and it's fore/aft position in the rails.

Welcome to BF.

Did the bike shop suggest anything? This is an issue for old bikes with essentially a unique part that is only used on a few bikes. It can be an issue for new bikes too with unique profiling of tubes, bars and stems.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-14-24 at 10:39 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-14-24, 11:48 AM
mo211

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you. Yes, I think you're right; I'm looking for a different part than what I identified. Do you know how I would describe this part? The bike shop called it a "collar." The shop suggested I call the original owner asking if they had it, and it seems they do not. The picture posted in the replies is indeed the same bike. For additional clarity, the part I'm looking for is just above the red paint on the frame where it meets the stem of the seat.
Old 03-14-24, 12:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Did you buy it directly from the previous owner or from a listing on eBay or somewhere else. If it wasn't disclosed that the clamp was missing, then you have some recourse to get your money back for the entire bike.

And if you purchased it with a credit card then call the card issuer and see what options they might offer for a bad purchase.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-14-24 at 12:09 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-14-24, 01:22 PM
mo211

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
Did you buy it directly from the previous owner or from a listing on eBay or somewhere else. If it wasn't disclosed that the clamp was missing, then you have some recourse to get your money back for the entire bike.

And if you purchased it with a credit card then call the card issuer and see what options they might offer for a bad purchase.
I did not pay for the bike; it was gifted to me by the previous owner.
Old 03-14-24, 02:53 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

In that case, since you have little invested in it, then you might just get a stainless steel worm clamp and bend one part of it into the Vee to fit the trailing edge. But only if that seatube and seat post use that type compression to hold it snug.

Though admittedly I will have exhausted every other possible avenue to find the proper clamp before resorting to that. Good luck! There are some on Ebay for the aluminum models of Kestral. Isn't that a carbon bike? But again, when desperate enough and not finding anything else, I might would try one if it looks like it might work.

The worst that could happen is you mess the bike up and it breaks so it can't easily be repaired. But that might be after 5, 10, 20 or more thousand miles or kilometers of enjoying the bike by riding instead of just it taking up space unused..

I think there is a 5 post daily limit for noobs till you get beyond 10 posts. So a reply isn't necessary till you get some more input from others that you might want to answer.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-14-24 at 02:57 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-14-24, 07:36 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
Here is something that MAY work. This seller gives length and max width and compare with measurements on the outside of your seat tube (not seat post). Fuji Kestrel Aero Carbon seatpost collar Seat Post Clamp 31 x 49mm | eBay If it fits the price is pretty high but you may be able to find another new one on the net with some detective work for less $$ and even if you don't find another less expensive version you have a free bike + $62 for the clamp. A deal i would take any day.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 03-14-24, 08:43 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Here is something that MAY work. This seller gives length and max width and compare with measurements on the outside of your seat tube (not seat post). Fuji Kestrel Aero Carbon seatpost collar Seat Post Clamp 31 x 49mm | eBay If it fits the price is pretty high but you may be able to find another new one on the net with some detective work for less $$ and even if you don't find another less expensive version you have a free bike + $62 for the clamp. A deal i would take any day.
Images of the bike show a 2 bolt style like this.

​​​​​​https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...yAdapt=glo2usa
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-14-24, 09:57 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by mo211
Thank you. Yes, I think you're right; I'm looking for a different part than what I identified. Do you know how I would describe this part? The bike shop called it a "collar." The shop suggested I call the original owner asking if they had it, and it seems they do not. The picture posted in the replies is indeed the same bike. For additional clarity, the part I'm looking for is just above the red paint on the frame where it meets the stem of the seat.
"Seat post collar" or "seat post clamp".

It's a long shot, but Bikesdirect.com is still around and sold Kestrels. Email them.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-15-24, 11:27 AM
mo211

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All of these replies are very helpful and I am following up on each lead. How do I measure my seat tube? Do I simply take a ruler to it?
Old 03-15-24, 01:25 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by mo211
All of these replies are very helpful and I am following up on each lead. How do I measure my seat tube? Do I simply take a ruler to it?
You don't. The shape of your post is specific to the frame, and has curves that might be different that of a similar size post.

If you were going to measure anything, it would be the the top of the frame where the clamp wraps around - width and length. But you really need the part built for your frame.

By law, out of business companies have to offer warranty service for a few years. Some company must be doing that. Find out who and ask them if they have a collar to sell.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-15-24, 01:38 PM
mo211

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kontact
You don't. The shape of your post is specific to the frame, and has curves that might be different that of a similar size post.

If you were going to measure anything, it would be the the top of the frame where the clamp wraps around - width and length. But you really need the part built for your frame.

By law, out of business companies have to offer warranty service for a few years. Some company must be doing that. Find out who and ask them if they have a collar to sell.
Thank you. It looks like Kestrel was acquired by Advanced Sports International. I just used their online form to submit an inquiry.
Likes For mo211: