Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Habanero Titanium bicycles

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Habanero Titanium bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-06, 03:38 PM
lrzipris

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HAMMER MAN
Please Explain his politics, that could be interesting for my own information and concerns.
I'd summarize his outlook this way: he is extremely conservative, very much a man of the right.
Old 08-26-06, 05:13 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lrzipris
I'd summarize his outlook this way: he is extremely conservative, very much a man of the right.
If he is a right wing fanatic, then why is he importing bicycles from a communist country?
Old 08-26-06, 06:20 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dead Roman
While those welds are larger than the moots welds I can attest to thier strength. I welded a rollcage for a chili bowl midget car out of titanium tubing. The moots welds are smaller and a bit tidier, but welds are like signatures, every guy does it different.
When I was welding I could make the prettiest welds in the business and you could break them right off. I could never get the hang of welding though I was the best cutting torch man this side of a machine. And I could braze as good as anyone.

Pretty welds DO NOT mean strong welds. Habanero welds are very well made and very strong.
Old 08-26-06, 07:15 PM
Dead Roman
Devourer of souls

Bikes: Felt f70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclintom
When I was welding I could make the prettiest welds in the business and you could break them right off. I could never get the hang of welding though I was the best cutting torch man this side of a machine. And I could braze as good as anyone.

Pretty welds DO NOT mean strong welds. Habanero welds are very well made and very strong.

Yeah, you dont have to tell me, Im a welder. But you can see a pretty weak weld most of the time. You can just eye the moots and habanero welds and see good penetration for the most part. Im sure they have much more strenuous(sp?) criterium than just lookin, but titanium welds usually dont lie.
Old 08-27-06, 03:54 PM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Serpico
dude, wtf--the mongoose frame is just the same

bro just slap some titanium tubes together, what's the big deal

my old age has made me picky
hard for me comprehend habanero frames @$795..00-$895.00 even if they do come from china
the Tsports $1150,00
then Serotta on the Concours around $2,800.00
Serotta has yet to return my call or E-mail do not believe they are that busy.They will probably loose my business
Habanero and I keep missing each other via cell phone
tsport will call monday Morning.
Old 08-27-06, 03:56 PM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnny99
If he is a right wing fanatic, then why is he importing bicycles from a communist country?

Profit, the amount of Greenbacks that goes into his pocket. Don't agree with that but obviously a savy business man and that I respect
Old 08-27-06, 04:40 PM
rob999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HAMMER MAN
my old age has made me picky
hard for me comprehend habanero frames @$795..00-$895.00 even if they do come from china
the Tsports $1150,00
then Serotta on the Concours around $2,800.00
Serotta has yet to return my call or E-mail do not believe they are that busy.They will probably loose my business
Habanero and I keep missing each other via cell phone
tsport will call monday Morning.
TiSport is the same as TST? if so check out:
https://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=20809
they have the 56cm frame for under $500...not bad for TI. way too small for me though.
Old 08-27-06, 04:57 PM
Naidu
Clever Title Here...

Bikes: Trek 420, Habanero Custom Team Issue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
China is communist in name only. Even the party loyalists don't spin out the Communist propaganda anymore. The rhetoric is mostly nationalist. Today's China: Single party dictatorship, with a capitalist economy where it suits them and monopolism where it doesn't. Hard to define them with a soundbite these days.
Old 08-27-06, 05:04 PM
johnny99

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Naidu
China is communist in name only. Even the party loyalists don't spin out the Communist propaganda anymore. The rhetoric is mostly nationalist. Today's China: Single party dictatorship, with a capitalist economy where it suits them and monopolism where it doesn't. Hard to define them with a soundbite these days.
They are moving to a more free market economy in at least the eastern industrial cities, but the government is still very brutal with little respect for workers right's or even basic human rights (like almost anything in the USA Bill of Rights). It is definately not the kind of place I would like to grow up in.
Old 08-27-06, 05:15 PM
Naidu
Clever Title Here...

Bikes: Trek 420, Habanero Custom Team Issue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are moving to a more free market economy in at least the eastern industrial cities, but the government is still very brutal with little respect for workers right's or even basic human rights (like almost anything in the USA Bill of Rights). It is definately not the kind of place I would like to grow up in.
I didn't mean to come across as an apologist for the current regime in China. I generally agree with you; their political rights record is abysmal. But that's what the party has decided is needed to pull a billion people to economic well being. They're up for a major upheaval when the people decide they want both economic and political rights.

Sorry for the thread hijack. Let's get back to discussing Habanero's bikes.
Old 08-27-06, 05:27 PM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rob999
TiSport is the same as TST? if so check out:
https://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=20809
they have the 56cm frame for under $500...not bad for TI. way too small for me though.
to small for me also
I need a 57.5 top tube
seat mast around a 58-59
appreciate the thought , thank you
Old 04-30-08, 04:26 PM
ruly62
Cicloturista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I buy the Nuevo Team Issue 1/8 headtube Habanero.I love this frame.Is stiff for me a 220 6'2" guy. Have nice welds. My brother has a older 1" habanero frame and Look titanium frame and both has the Look decals and you dont know was the original Look.My brother said the habanero is best and stiff than the Look. Sorry with my english.
Old 07-12-09, 05:10 PM
iamsomeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mine should be here some time this week , i hope to get it wednesday and get it out to the group ride on thursday , ill update after its built
Old 07-12-09, 05:44 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by badkarma
i bet if i gave you two unbadged frames you couldn't tell me which was the serotta and which was the habanero.
+1
Old 07-12-09, 06:23 PM
dnslater

Bikes: 2011 Guru Praemio Ti (Rival), 03 Gary Fisher Franken-hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to hijack, but I have been looking at value priced titanium frames including the Hababero's. I stumbled upon Pride Cycles, www.pridecyclesusa.com. Prices are almost as cheap as the Hab and made in America with American tubing. I emailed them with a few questions, and asking to see more photos. I'm not a big fan of the american flag logo. I think the owner used to work for Litespeed. Anyone bought from Pride? Any comments on how the rear seat stay design effects bike handling?
Old 07-12-09, 11:47 PM
H1449-6
Former grouch, now happy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dnslater
Not to hijack, but I have been looking at value priced titanium frames including the Hababero's. I stumbled upon Pride Cycles, www.pridecyclesusa.com. Prices are almost as cheap as the Hab and made in America with American tubing. I emailed them with a few questions, and asking to see more photos. I'm not a big fan of the american flag logo. I think the owner used to work for Litespeed. Anyone bought from Pride? Any comments on how the rear seat stay design effects bike handling?
Thanks for the link. Attractive price point. I didn't see any photos, though. EDIT: scroll down on the home page to see a few.
Old 07-13-09, 12:43 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
long while ago i saw the website of the chinese vendor that provides Hab with his bikes. Their list price is (obviously) much lower than Hab's. Hab provides as warranty a new frame at 1/2th the cost of the original. In fact, that same money money (1.50x Hab msrp) is how much it cost to get 2 frames from the original vendor/builder, so Hab is guaranteed to at least break even with every customer.

Good business model.
Old 07-13-09, 02:37 AM
Moontrane

Bikes: Habanero 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got my Habanero frame last week. It looks great, and I will be getting parts for the build over the next tow weeks. Mark’s quite easy to work with, and he answered all my questions and clued me in to a few things I didn’t know.
Old 07-13-09, 12:52 PM
dnslater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by H1449-6
Thanks for the link. Attractive price point. I didn't see any photos, though. EDIT: scroll down on the home page to see a few.
Update, as I am comparing Habs to Pride Cycles, I emailed Pride with some questions and a request for better photos. David Atkins, the owner, emailed me back promptly. He confirmed that he was the plant manager at Litespeed for many years. He said that his ML compact road frame weighs in at 2.6 lbs which is very impressive at this pricepoint. He sounds like he definitely knows what he is talking about and he said that they build each frame to order, with a 2 week lead time. He will be sending me better photos soon. I will definitely give Pride strong consideration when I am ready to order a frame, along with Habanero and Everti and a few others.
Old 07-13-09, 01:04 PM
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dnslater
He confirmed that he was the plant manager at Litespeed for many years.
You sure he said Litespeed and not GT?

Old 07-13-09, 01:09 PM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
That Pride site is now on my list of the worlds worst web site designs.
Old 07-13-09, 01:21 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by jfmckenna
That Pride site is now on my list of the worlds worst web site designs.
That and some seriously ugly frames. Yikes.
Old 07-13-09, 01:27 PM
dnslater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CyLowe97
You sure he said Litespeed and not GT?

I actually asked him in the email about the rear seat stay design and he said that it enhances lateral stiffness. Any thoughts on this? Seems like if it worked so well others would do it, although I don't mind the "unique" looking frame. He did say that he can build the frame with a more traditional rear triangle if preferred.

I agree regarding the website. Perhaps this is one of the reasons shops like Hab and Pride can sell his frames for so cheap.......the websites are made by the welders....

I also asked about a more discreet logo and didn't get an answer.......... I suppose with Ti, it would be easy enough to modify myself.
Old 07-13-09, 01:42 PM
bigtea

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=dnslater;9271794]I actually asked him in the email about the rear seat stay design and he said that it enhances lateral stiffness. Any thoughts on this? .... QUOTE]

That double triangle geometry was popularized by GT about 10 or 15 years ago. It is stiffer in the rear triangle. I'm not sure how foregiving ti would be with that geometry; maybe it would ruin the best characteristic of ti, a smooth ride.

I had an aluminum GT with that frame configuration and the ride was cruel and inhumane. Even the Spanish Inquisition didn't have an implement of ***** destruction quite like that GT.
Old 07-17-09, 02:04 AM
iamsomeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

habanero cycles nuevo road frame
generic poopoo turd heavy carbon fork (with danger dimples !)
chris kind head set
itm millenium stem (reversed)
itm bars
campy chorus brifters , brakes , drive train
speedplay pedals
specialized carbon seat post
butthurt seat (have a brooks swift)

wheels

white industry h2 laced to mavic open pro on sapim cx-ray spokes 28 spoke
salsa skewers

19 pounds , can get it lower though (all in good time)

Last edited by iamsomeguy; 07-17-09 at 02:48 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.