Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pedal choice?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pedal choice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 11:28 AM
Bentley6

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pedal choice?

I need a little imput on who might make a decent, inexpensive platform pedal. I'll be doing a 2000 mile tour this year on my Trek 3900 mountain bike turned tour bike. I have the stock nylon platforms on it now with toe clips. I'd like to go to Power Grips straps possibly but unsure yet. I'm just concerned that the stock pedals might not hold up so maybe I should upgrade a little. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 02-17-10, 05:47 PM
paxtonm

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Mercian King of Mercia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

You're wise to dump those pedals. They're prone to disintegrating. A lot of bike shop mechanics call them "disposable pedals." You might look at mks options. I have them on one of my bikes. After opening them up and greasing/adjusting the bearings properly, they've been very nice. I got them from Velo Orange, and if I had to do it again, I'd probably give their house brand pedals a throw. Very nice with sealed bearings. Here's a url that you can use to look over MKS V-O pedals:
https://www.velo-orange.com/petoeclandac.html
The other option that some like are the Grip Kings -- big platforms with spikey things to hold your shoes. www.rivbike.com stocks them.
Old 02-17-10, 07:49 PM
emarg0ed

Bikes: Trek 520, Custom Singlespeed commuter, Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a pair of MKS touring pedals on one bike and the VO house brand touring pedals on another. Both are great platform pedals, perfect to use w/ Power Grips. I think I like the VO pedals a bit more.. they're noticeably lighter and 'grippier.'
Old 02-18-10, 01:30 AM
Kazer
two wheeled accomplice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We run MKS Sylvan Touring pedals with Power Grips. 322 days so far without a problem!

Review of the power grips here: https://journal.goingslowly.com/2009/08/power-grips.html
Old 02-18-10, 10:35 AM
Bentley6

Bikes: Many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Kazer;10418941]We run MKS Sylvan Touring pedals with Power Grips. 322 days so far without a problem!

These are kind of what I was thinking about. Not too pricy and they look like they would be a vast improvement over what I have, plus the Power Grips would work nicely.
Old 02-19-10, 10:21 AM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Tioga spider pedals have been great for daily commuting even with the recent snow and ice. I have never had a flat pedal with more grip and as lightweight as these have been. You do NOT need power grips or toe clips with these. I can spin in a nice oval pattern always with pressure on the pedal. The platform is big(D model has a larger platform) so the shoes you wear are irrelevant. I've worn boots and sandals with both fitting on the platform well. No need for stiff biking shoes because the platform is so big. No hot spots either.
https://www.ebikestop.com/tioga_d_spy...ack-PD2514.php
Side note: A biking shoe and clip-less pedal will give you a higher performance than these but for touring and regular commuting these are the best I have ever used. FWIW I have bike commuted for over 9 years in all weather and conditions.
Old 02-19-10, 12:45 PM
ZiP0082

Bikes: 2008 Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute with MKS-GR9s and MKS steel clips with leather straps. You can run them without clips & straps too, however they do have a platform side and a less-platformy underside.